Speculation: 2017-18 Roster Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Our bottom 6, possibly middle 6 depth and secondary scoring is about to turn pro. Good drafting has finally stocked the cupboards to where we have players coming up who are good and will be cheap. Peca and Erne could win a spot out of camp, Cirelli, Joseph or Stephens could too depending on if we trade some players off the current roster. Yan has a ton of offensive potential but needs some pro time to round out his game. Howden, Raddysh and Katchouk the next crop in junior. Add in someone like Gourde who looks better than any 4th liner we have and we should have some added scoring next year.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
I think Nashville makes a good counter example

Agreed on not wanting to trade Drouin. I think some of you have it wrong though. The idea of trading for a defender isn't necessarily to get better defensively, it's to improve the transition game for our forwards so we can be better offensively. All that skill up front doesn't matter if no one can get them the puck. This is why a guy like Tanev doesn't make sense but Yzerman went hard on Shattenkirk.

Sure Nashville has a great defense, but it's the cap era - you can't have a Nashville defense with a Pittsburgh offense. It's clear we're geared towards forwards.

Agree with the second part, except I think it'd be easier and more cost effective to follow what Pittsburgh does, find defenseman who may not defend particularly well but are able to make quick decisions with the puck and make a first pass.

That Shattenkirk deal would've been brutal if he was signed for what he was asking.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Sure Nashville has a great defense, but it's the cap era - you can't have a Nashville defense with a Pittsburgh offense. It's clear we're geared towards forwards.

Agree with the second part, except I think it'd be easier and more cost effective to follow what Pittsburgh does, find defenseman who may not defend particularly well but are able to make quick decisions with the puck and make a first pass.

That Shattenkirk deal would've been brutal if he was signed for what he was asking.

Oh yeah. I'm was a huge Shattenkirk fan, but when I heard about what the cost was going to be in assets and cap, that's a bridge too far.

Rschmitz

Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Talking about a team that has made it past the 2nd round for the first time ever vs a team who just won back to back Cups.

Correlation does not equal causation. Expansion teams have been pretty putrid since the early 90's, that's not a fair assessment.

If anything, Pittsburgh winning shows that having two healthy franchise centers and being deep down the middle makes up for a lot of holes. I don't think anyone would argue that point, Nashville had their work cut out for them when Johansen went down. Not many teams have franchise centers though, yet alone two.

Before Pittsburgh, Chicago was the flavor of the month, and their formula was to have a very good top 4 to supplement all their talent up front. I think we resemble Chicago a lot more than Pittsburgh and should follow their model. Their most important player, Keith, we already have in Hedman. We need to find our Seabrook.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Correlation does not equal causation. Expansion teams have been pretty putrid since the early 90's, that's not a fair assessment.

If anything, Pittsburgh winning shows that having two healthy franchise centers and being deep down the middle makes up for a lot of holes. I don't think anyone would argue that point, Nashville had their work cut out for them when Johansen went down. Not many teams have franchise centers though, yet alone two.

Before Pittsburgh, Chicago was the flavor of the month, and their formula was to have a very good top 4 to supplement all their talent up front. I think we resemble Chicago a lot more than Pittsburgh and should follow their model. Their most important player, Keith, we already have in Hedman. We need to find our Seabrook.

I swear I want to drown a puppy every time someone uses this phrase completely inappropriately.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl

We need more depth scoring from our bottom two lines we can't just depend on two lines that really our biggest issue. Having Hedman and Stralman as our top 2 defenseman is not bad at all.

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014
We need more depth scoring from our bottom two lines we can't just depend on two lines that really our biggest issue. Having Hedman and Stralman as our top 2 defenseman is not bad at all.

The main concern on D (other than the fact that we gave up WAY too many easy chances) is that we have no righty to run the point on the PP and need another guy on the backend who can bring the damn puck out of the zone on transition.

So, in essence, Shatty is the perfect fit - just not for an arm and a leg.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
murray is a beast two cups should have won the conn smythe at least this year imho but vasy no slouch look what he did at worlds both are the elite two goalies young ones out there gibson is third all will have incredible careers

vasy will be fine for those worried hes elite hes shown those moments consistency comes with time last goalie this young who shined like muray was roy as a rookie

to have three young great goalies like we are seeing has not happened in a long time be happy we have one of them very happy

Rschmitz

Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay

I agree. Lack of depth scoring is by far our biggest team issue. That is much easier to fix than improving the top 4 D. Also, realize that lack of depth scoring from the defense is part of the overall lack of depth scoring. Garrison falling off the face of the planet has a lot to do with that.

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
I am really excited about next year. While missing the playoffs hurts...we've played a ton of games the last three years. I'm ready for a healthy Bolts team to make serious noise.

If you think I am being out of line with Pens fans or anyone else...feel free to speak up. I don't think going to as many games as I have(including two SCF games vs Chicago) constitutes me as a troll.

Go Bolts.

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
I agree. Lack of depth scoring is by far our biggest team issue. That is much easier to fix than improving the top 4 D. Also, realize that lack of depth scoring from the defense is part of the overall lack of depth scoring. Garrison falling off the face of the planet has a lot to do with that.

Fixing the defense should be priority number one. You need puck movement from the back-end to get the best out of your forwards. Garrison/Coburn have both started slowing down and Sustr can't carry a pairing by himself.

I agree that our bottom-six scoring needs improvement, but we can afford to be patient in this area. We have plenty of forwards in the pipeline who can earn their way on the team. Rental forwards will always be available at the deadline.

Rschmitz

Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Fixing the defense should be priority number one. You need puck movement from the back-end to get the best out of your forwards. Garrison/Coburn have both started slowing down and Sustr can't carry a pairing by himself.

I agree that our bottom-six scoring needs improvement, but we can afford to be patient in this area. We have plenty of forwards in the pipeline who can earn their way on the team. Rental forwards will always be available at the deadline.

I think you missed the part where I said getting an offensive minded D improves our scoring depth.

Getting bottom 6 forwards who can chip in offensively is mucher easier to do. Stalberg is my favorite target this offseason.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
I think you missed the part where I said getting an offensive minded D improves our scoring depth.

Getting bottom 6 forwards who can chip in offensively is mucher easier to do. Stalberg is my favorite target this offseason.

Didn't you want Stalberg last year? The guy hasn't had more than 20 points in a season in 5 years and is going to make more than 1mil. Not good value to me.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Not a great year for FA, if we do any signings it should only be for reclamation projects who have low cost and high reward.

I'd look at Hudler for a year, Vanek if he's cheap again, Versteeg? Parenteau? Brett Connolly is a UFA as well.

Just need fresh faces until the prospect group is developed, don't think any of these guys get more than 2 years on the market.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Not a great year for FA, if we do any signings it should only be for reclamation projects who have low cost and high reward.

I'd look at Hudler for a year, Vanek if he's cheap again, Versteeg? Parenteau? Brett Connolly is a UFA as well.

Just need fresh faces until the prospect group is developed, don't think any of these guys get more than 2 years on the market.

Del Zotto or Kulikov might not be bad options for a Garrison replacement Koekkoek competition type signing.

Rschmitz

Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Didn't you want Stalberg last year? The guy hasn't had more than 20 points in a season in 5 years and is going to make more than 1mil. Not good value to me.

No, I never mentioned wanting to change the bottom 6 before late this season.

Why are you acting like a millionish is a high price for a guy with shutdown ability who can pot over 10 goals? That's just odd. We pay Brown 1.25 million and Condra 1.5 million.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
No, I never mentioned wanting to change the bottom 6 before late this season.

Why are you acting like a millionish is a high price for a guy with shutdown ability who can pot over 10 goals? That's just odd. We pay Brown 1.25 million and Condra 1.5 million.

Because we can get the defensive play and face off ability of Dumont for half that. With us already paying those players we don't need another playing making over a million for marginal offense. Just bring up Erne and sign Gourde to go with a returning Callahan and the bottom 6 is better. Paquette is going to play no matter what and I expect Brown to bounce back to close to 20 points again.

Rschmitz

Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Because we can get the defensive play and face off ability of Dumont for half that. With us already paying those players we don't need another playing making over a million for marginal offense. Just bring up Erne and sign Gourde to go with a returning Callahan and the bottom 6 is better. Paquette is going to play no matter what and I expect Brown to bounce back to close to 20 points again.

We've had this discussion before, me wanting us to sign him would be contingent on jettisoning a few guys who make similar. Consider that distinction before continuing the discussion, I think he'd be a tremendous upgrade on Brown or Condra and an option if Gourde wants to go elsewhere.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
We've had this discussion before, me wanting us to sign him would be contingent on jettisoning a few guys who make similar. Consider that distinction before continuing the discussion, I think he'd be a tremendous upgrade on Brown or Condra and an option if Gourde wants to go elsewhere.

I just don't see any value in those guys to make it worth trading so believe we are stuck with them. At least with Brown and Paquette they still have a bit of upside, Brown has had a 19 and 22 point season, Paquette has potted 12 recently, those are better seasons than Stalberg has had recently. I'd just rather keep our guys and promote from within, Peca should get a good look and if Vermin stays he did ok in spurts. Condra might be bought out or sent back to Syracuse to be the captain, he won't be back with Tampa. Paquette and Brown are in contract years so maybe we get some more inspired play from them as they try to keep an NHL job going forward.

Rschmitz

Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Yzerman has shown a history and a knack for jettisoning bottom 6 guys without much issue like how he did Adam Hall, Crombeen, and Nate Thompson.

Our bottom 6 probably is not a concern if everything falls into place as it's written up, but how likely is it to happen that way? That Callahan stays healthy, that Brown and Paquette rebound, and that we re-sign Gourde?

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Do you guys think we can get Boyle back?

Sure but don't think we should. He's going to want 2.5 - 3 a year, we could do it but that's too much for a 4th liner ok 3rd liner. With Stamkos, Johnson, Point, Namestnikov and Gourde we have plenty of center depth. The team also played much better after he was gone, not sure if he's footspeed was holding us back a bit. Rather use that 3mil elsewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad