Notes: 2nd highest S% among active players (14.3) behind Sidney Crosby

Patrick Marleau (82GP 27-19-46), age 37
Notes: All-time Sharks leader in goals, points, games

Just Williams (80GP 24-24-48), age: 35
Notes: 3 Cups

Patrick Sharp (48GP 8-10-18), age 35
Notes: Missed half the season due to a concussion, 3 Cups

Radim Vrbata (81GP 20-35-55), age: 36
Notes: Brutal +/- in past two seasons (-30, -18)

Jarome Iginla (80GP 14-13-27), age: 39
Notes: 15th in goals and 34th in points in NHL history

Kris Versteeg (69GP 15-22-37), age: 31
Notes: 2 Cups, has played for 5 teams in the past 4 seasons

Chris Kunitz (71GP 9-20-29), age: 37
Notes: 4 Cups, longtime linemate of Sidney Crosby

Shane Doan (74GP 6-21-27), age: 40
Notes: All-time Coyotes leader in goals, assists, points, games; Huge drop in production compared to season before (72GP 28-19-47)

Out of that list I think Jagr, Williams, Iginla, Doan don't have the speed to keep up to our team. Iginla, Doan, (Kunitz, Sharp) had huge drops in production as well.

Radulov seems too pricy, Vanek misses a bunch of games each season, Sharp comes off a big injury.

Marleau would be my favorite of the bunch, just a great fit overall as discussed earlier in this thread.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Marleau would be my favorite of the bunch, just a great fit overall as discussed earlier in this thread.

Marleau def sounds like the best choice, and his name has been thrown around here a few times over the past couple of years. I wonder if Yzerman reached out to his agent.

I would stay away from Kunitz and Vanek. Kunitz has skated with Crosby so his numbers might be a little influenced by a tad. Vanek, well he is just Vanek.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Not a huge Kunitz fan but he has stepped up big for the Pens in big games. I'm not for signing him but I guess you could do worse.

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014
What an ass group of wingers....

Marleau is the only half way suitable for our situation.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York

Outside of Versteeg and Radulov, the rest will likely be a 1 or 2 year term deal at a small annual cap hit. They will be looking for that one last try at winning and want to go to a contender. Tampa fits that bill for them. The risk is small because of the term and likely cap hit, but still need to make the right choice and see who fits the best, and right now think that is Marleau. I hope Yzerman reached out to him.

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
Outside of Versteeg and Radulov, the rest will likely be a 1 or 2 year term deal at a small annual cap hit. They will be looking for that one last try at winning and want to go to a contender. Tampa fits that bill for them. The risk is small because of the term and likely cap hit, but still need to make the right choice and see who fits the best, and right now think that is Marleau. I hope Yzerman reached out to him.

Tampa != contender

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014
Players are smart enough to see last year as an anamoly created by injuries

Do not blame it all on injuries. This team was freaking stacked. Stamkos injury was catastrophic yes, but the whole team regressed sans Hedman and Kuch. Also, the goalie split debacle.

Lot of blame to be passed around - not just injuries.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Do not blame it all on injuries. This team was freaking stacked. Stamkos injury was catastrophic yes, but the whole team regressed sans Hedman and Kuch. Also, the goalie split debacle.

No it wasn't all injuries. I would say that they had a passive approach early in the season that bit them in the ass. Last season they took a similar approach and almost had a similar outcome. They had that February that turned it all around. This year it was too late. After the trade deadline they finally woke up. Some people have said it on here and I agree with it, they just weren't as hungry last year. Once some of these young guys came in that desperation came alive. Really sparked the team. I think a reason they dont play as hard early is because it's a long season. You don't want to be gassed by the time the playoffs come. I think there is some truth to this. Especially with two years going deep.

However it's still too passive with how competitive this league is. You can't let up because there's too many teams that are good enough to beat you any given night. With that said I think had we made the playoffs I think we could have beaten the Pens. Our team was hot going in and we would have gotten Stamkos back. D was playing well. Vasi was looking more comfortable with the starting role. Kuch was playing like one of the best players in the world. Woulda, coulda, shoulda. They have a great opportunity to do it this year. Yea we don't have Drouin anymore but if we get Stamkos back fully healthy and back to form we should be stacked. Hopefully we make some smart moves in FA. SY knows with a few smart moves and a healthy team they will contend as long as they get in.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay

I'll amend so we don't go on a tangent.

This team has the talent and experience to contend.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

The term they'll be after is pretty much perfect though. Bring in a vet with a little left in the tank on a short deal, then two years from now hand his money to Kucherov.

We don't need a top line winger. We just need better depth scoring, and maybe someone who can fill in up top once in a while.

Marleau still might be the best option. I'm also a little intrigued by Patrick Sharp, but apparently Chicago wants him back.

I'm probably a little warmer on Vanek than most of you. I feel like he'd be really good on a third line with Point, and he can't really demand a whole lot of $ anymore.

Rschmitz

Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Yzerman went after Shane Doan once, I wonder if he doesn't extend him an affordable contract offer. I hope not, he's in the Brendan Morrow zone right now

RussianGuyovich

Hella Ennui
Jan 2, 2007
we just can't seem to get over that playoff hump and win a championship, what we need is someone with championship winning experience. lets call marleau!

(i keed i keed, i know that andrychuk hadn't won one either)

TampaJay

Jan 16, 2016
I'll amend so we don't go on a tangent.

This team has the talent and experience to contend.

Correct. They went 20-7-4 after the trade deadline without Bishop, Filppula, and Boyle, and also toward the end, without Johnson and Garrison. That is a playoff pace for sure. The AHL new blood made the team better. Besides injuries, the biggest factors in missing the playoffs was poor goaltending in the first half of the season along with lack of compete/effort.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
i get pointing out plus minus might work at times but we are talking arizona lolssssssss

also his plus minus career wise aint bad just the last two years in the desert

id take vrbata surprised all the hate cause he came got injured?

hes an option i want an option we can afford and if he gets 1-2 million i wont complain and hope it works out

p.s. his stats goals etc.. are staying ok that is what would look for in drop offs for this type of player at age

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Correct. They went 20-7-4 after the trade deadline without Bishop, Filppula, and Boyle, and also toward the end, without Johnson and Garrison. That is a playoff pace for sure. The AHL new blood made the team better. Besides injuries, the biggest factors in missing the playoffs was poor goaltending in the first half of the season along with lack of compete/effort.

Don't say that. If Yzerman reads this he will do nothing but re-signings.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
i get pointing out plus minus might work at times but we are talking arizona lolssssssss

also his plus minus career wise aint bad just the last two years in the desert

id take vrbata surprised all the hate cause he came got injured?

hes an option i want an option we can afford and if he gets 1-2 million i wont complain and hope it works out

p.s. his stats goals etc.. are staying ok that is what would look for in drop offs for this type of player at age

Well he was tied team worst at -30 in Vancouver a year ago. I know it's Vancouver but it's terrible compared to their other top-6 players at the time. Sedins were +7 and 0, Hansen was +16. Even compared to Burrows (-13) and Baertschi (-14) his -30 is ridiculous.

Last season in Arizona he was -18 compared to Domi (-9), Rieder (-8), Dvorak (+7), Doan (-3) or Martinook (-8).

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Don't say that. If Yzerman reads this he will do nothing but re-signings.

Honestly don't be surprised if that's what happens. I can see that with a signing or two. Adding a vet to a cheaper deal and short term. Honestly there aren't too many great players out there in FA. He could wait until trade deadline.

Here's a wild idea: what if Tavares doesn't get re-signed and the Islanders are selling him at the trade deadline. Would you guys package some top picks and some top prospects to get him here? I know we don't need him and are pretty much set at center, but what if we trade TJ, a first, and a good prospect to get it done? Never going to happen I know. Just toying with an idea. It is the offseason.

Rschmitz

Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Marleau sounds good but I think we could use Justin Williams as well

SJ reportedly offered Marleau a 2 year deal so we will have to beat that.

I hate to say it but I think Killorn is our Justin Williams. As it stands, I don't see the roster space to add more than one good forward.

Rschmitz

Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Honestly don't be surprised if that's what happens. I can see that with a signing or two. Adding a vet to a cheaper deal and short term. Honestly there aren't too many great players out there in FA. He could wait until trade deadline.

Here's a wild idea: what if Tavares doesn't get re-signed and the Islanders are selling him at the trade deadline. Would you guys package some top picks and some top prospects to get him here? I know we don't need him and are pretty much set at center, but what if we trade TJ, a first, and a good prospect to get it done? Never going to happen I know. Just toying with an idea. It is the offseason.

I'll be shocked if Yzerman doesn't use almost all of the cap space. I'd also be very, very surprised if we don't sign Shattenkirk.

RE: Tavares. I suppose Yzerman can drug him into signing a team friendly deal, which is the only way I'd dump those assets on him. He's worth it as a rental, but I wouldn't do it.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
I'll be shocked if Yzerman doesn't use almost all of the cap space. I'd also be very, very surprised if we don't sign Shattenkirk.

RE: Tavares. I suppose Yzerman can drug him into signing a team friendly deal, which is the only way I'd dump those assets on him. He's worth it as a rental, but I wouldn't do it.

I'd be shocked if we signed nobody. But I'd be shocked if we signed Shattenkirk. Everyone seems to think he's going to the Rangers. However I wouldn't be shocked with Yzerman being able to convince him to come here. It's not the most difficult sell really.

-no instate tax.
-play with Hedman
-contend for a cup
-live in FL
-play on an offensively stacked team and rack up PP points

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad