Confirmed Signing with Link: 2017-18 Prospect Signings Thread

Booba

Jun 20, 2005
UConn blueliner Masonius gives up senior season, signs AHL contract with Penguins affiliate.

The Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins announced today that they have signed defenseman Joseph Masonius to an American Hockey League contract for the 2018-19 season. Masonius will join the Penguins immediately on an amateur tryout agreement for the remainder of the 2018 Calder Cup Playoffs.

The 21-year-old rearguard just finished his junior season at the University of Connecticut. He wrapped up his collegiate career with 10 goals and 40 assists for 50 points in 96 total games. Masonius led all Huskies defensemen in points in two of his three seasons at UConn. The native of Spring Lake, New Jersey was drafted by the Pittsburgh Penguins in the sixth round (181st overall) of the 2016 NHL Entry Draft.

If my understanding of the CBA is correct, this means that Pittsburgh owns his rights until June 1st, 2020.

If a Player drafted at age 18 or 19 is a bona fide college student at the time of his selection in the Entry Draft, and does not remain a bona fide college student through the graduation of his college class, his drafting Club shall retain exclusive rights for the negotiation of his services until the later of: (a) the fourth June 1 following his selection in the Entry Draft.

Had Masonius remained in college, he would have been eligible to become a UFA on August 15, 2019.

Howe Elbows 9

Sep 16, 2007
Sweden

I was wondering why this wasn't mentioned on the official Sabres website, until I read the article linked above...

The Sabres have not announced the signing, which can not become official until Pilut's time with the Swedish national team is complete. The 5-foot-11, 179-pounder is skating with the team in preparation for next month's world championship.

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
Sabres future is looking bright

Don't be fooled by winning an award, Pilut is very much a project and not a guarantee to be anything more than an AHL player. He's not exactly a blue chipper.

Thats your list of winners of this award. Ekholm is the only one who has made any NHL impact.

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
Don't be fooled by winning an award, Pilut is very much a project and not a guarantee to be anything more than an AHL player. He's not exactly a blue chipper.

Thats your list of winners of this award. Ekholm is the only one who has made any NHL impact.

This is correct, but when your talent pool has been inept on the back end as long as it has, creating depth is creating depth. Plus, it's a free asset.

Reactions: Howe Elbows 9

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
This is correct, but when your talent pool has been inept on the back end as long as it has, creating depth is creating depth. Plus, it's a free asset.

Sure

I was just objecting to the idea that this was a move that made the Sabres future bright (though yes they have some other assets that are excellent, this isn't in that group).

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
i am perhaps unreasonably excited about Sokolov. Dude can flat out score.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->