2017-18 OUA Men's Hockey Thread

northvanman

Jun 4, 2009
Oakville, ON
Lakehead's schedule is up:

http://www.thunderwolveshockey.com/schedule.asp

According to the write-up on Lakehead's website, this year they are only playing 4 games against OUA East teams and 24 against West teams. More focus on intra-division games was talked about last year, but I never saw anything that said it was actually happening. Overall, I think this is a good thing, although it is going to create some imbalances in schedules and the West standings in particular have been really bunched together over the past few years, and this new schedule format will probably make a difference.

They also highlight that on Feb 9/10 Lakehead hosts Waterloo and Laurier, which is the first time in team history that they have a had different opponents at home on the same weekend. The other interesting quirk in Lakehead's schedule is that they have 2 road trips where they play 3 games in 3 nights.

northvanman

Jun 4, 2009
Oakville, ON
So the OUA regular season starts in September?

If they are only playing 4 games against the OUA East, the Sept games against UOIT must be pre-season. I'm guessing the Oct 6/7 games against Concordia are also pre-season. And the Dec 28/29 games against Guelph are exhibition. Lakehead has never been good at indicating non-conference games on their schedule.

Last edited:

northvanman

Jun 4, 2009
Oakville, ON
Still nothing posted on the OUA site, but Waterloo's schedule is up and it's interesting. Based on Lakehead's schedule, we knew that the division crossovers were reduced from 10 to games last year to 4 this year, but the unbalanced schedule within the West makes me think the OUA may be going back to the old 4 division format:

http://www.athletics.uwaterloo.ca/schedule.aspx?path=mhockey

In the West, Waterloo plays

Laurier 4X
Windsor 4X
Western 3X
Lakehead 3X

Ryerson 2X
Toronto 2X
York 2X
Guelph 2X
Brock 2X

Plus 4 games against East teams

This lines up like Mid West and Far West divisions. If this is in fact what they have done, in part to reduce travel, it's curious that they didn't flip Guelph and Lakehead. Lakehead is flying into Toronto anyway and Guelph is 25 minutes away from Waterloo.

Last edited:

lmnop

Jul 1, 2017
I'm new to this level of hockey but trying to immerse myself in it. I'm Toronto based so there are lots of options. I'm working on a piece about the Varsity Blues. Anyone with pointers, tips or who just wants to discuss the game feel free to PM me!

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
I'm new to this level of hockey but trying to immerse myself in it. I'm Toronto based so there are lots of options. I'm working on a piece about the Varsity Blues. Anyone with pointers, tips or who just wants to discuss the game feel free to PM me!

The U of T has a rich history. I would start with Wikia:

http://icehockey.wikia.com/wiki/Toronto_Varsity_Blues

There are links to many sites in that page. I helped compile a lot of it. There are stats going back to the 1800s, photos, the whole bit.

BadgerBruce

Aug 8, 2013
Brock University head coach, Murray Nystrom, resigned on Tuesday, after 18 years at the helm.

https://brocku.ca/brock-news/2017/07/brock-sports-parts-ways-with-hockey-coach/

Nystrom truly is one of the good guys in the game, a coach who earned the respect of the hockey community by treating everyone with respect. He's a first-class guy.

Lots of rumours floating around Niagara . . . Ice Dogs head coach, Dave Bell, and Nystrom both resign on the same day?

Here's hoping MN lands on his feet and continues to set a great example for players wherever he ends up.

northvanman

Jun 4, 2009
Oakville, ON
So the OUA has finally published their 2017/18 playing regs and page 4 explains the rather odd structure of the conferences and schedules.

http://www.oua.ca/sports/mice/Hockey_Regulations_-_M_-_2017-18.pdf

Each conference has two, 5 team "groups" which are used for the purpose of geographic scheduling. This is very similar to the old Far East/Mid East/Mid West/Far West division structure, except that these groups have no relationship with the conference standings - the two groups just get tossed together into one set of conference standings. And then the top 8 teams in each conference make the playoffs, just like last year.

The potential for weird things to happen is high....As an example, I can see a scenario where Queen's ends up first in the Eastern conference - not because they are the best team (maybe they will be) - but because they play a bunch of games against UOIT, RMC, Laurentian, and Nipissing, while McGill, UQTR, Carleton, and Ottawa play a bunch of games against each other. Add to this that there are only 4 conference crossover games this year - and therefore more imbalance in schedules, and the potential for the "best" teams not ending up at the top of the standings, or a "deserving" team missing the playoffs is there in way that it wasn't last year. Should have gone back to the 4 divisions.

AdamMcg83

Oct 12, 2011
www.twitter.com
So the OUA has finally published their 2017/18 playing regs and page 4 explains the rather odd structure of the conferences and schedules.

http://www.oua.ca/sports/mice/Hockey_Regulations_-_M_-_2017-18.pdf

Each conference has two, 5 team "groups" which are used for the purpose of geographic scheduling. This is very similar to the old Far East/Mid East/Mid West/Far West division structure, except that these groups have no relationship with the conference standings - the two groups just get tossed together into one set of conference standings. And then the top 8 teams in each conference make the playoffs, just like last year.

The potential for weird things to happen is high....As an example, I can see a scenario where Queen's ends up first in the Eastern conference - not because they are the best team (maybe they will be) - but because they play a bunch of games against UOIT, RMC, Laurentian, and Nipissing, while McGill, UQTR, Carleton, and Ottawa play a bunch of games against each other. Add to this that there are only 4 conference crossover games this year - and therefore more imbalance in schedules, and the potential for the "best" teams not ending up at the top of the standings, or a "deserving" team missing the playoffs is there in way that it wasn't last year. Should have gone back to the 4 divisions.

I disagree - this was the only way to ensure that the proper 8 teams make the playoffs. In the 4-division format, one of OTT/CAR/QUE/UQTR/McG would be assured of missing the playoffs, while two of LAU, NIP, and RMC would make the playoffs. Not to mention, it gives a good team in a weak division (Queen's, for instance), a much easier path to at least a bronze medal game for a trip to nationals.

This is pretty similar to how the league operated in the mid-to-late 2000's for a couple seasons - they had four divisions, but the divisions had no real playoff implications: division champs got the #1 and #2 seeds, while the next best 6 teams got in as well. Effectively the same thing, but without divisions listed on the standings page.

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
There maybe some imbalance or 'poor' seeding at the end of the year, but a deserving team will still make the playoffs. For example, Carleton may have a tough go of it having to play McG and UQTR a lot, but I don't see them dropping out of the top 8 in the east, they may be as low as 6 or 7. They still make the playoffs - but, unfortunately, lose home-ice advantage.

I preferred the other solution myself - a balanced schedule with the top 2 and the next best 6. This came about when people saw UoT making the playoffs with a 7-17 record in the Mid-East while Ottawa and Concordia were on the outside with >500 record in the Far-East.

MiamiHockey

Sep 12, 2012
2003-04 ... RMC makes the playoffs in the Mid-East with a 3-20-1 record, while McGill misses in the Far East with a 9-9-4 record. That was when Ryerson was God-awful (RMC's 3 wins included 1 victory over Toronto, and 2 over Ryerson). That season was what really initiated the discussion. It took a few years, mainly because RMC actually became competitive the following season, and consistently produced 10-win seasons to mitigate the argument.
The balanced schedule was favoured by the Head Coaches, but opposed by Athletic Directors because it implied more travel, The switch back to the imbalanced schedule has really come about as a cost-saving measure.
It's not likely to impact who makes the playoffs, as the worst two teams will still probably come from the Mid-East group. It will almost certainly impact the seedings though, and there's a good chance we'll see Queen's at the top of the Eastern Conference.
In related news, expect greater parity in the East. RMC is vastly improved, with a recruiting class of 11. They're young and hard-working, and I would not be surprised to see 10 wins out of RMC this season. That might even be enough to get them into the playoffs.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
Joined by UPEI and Acadia. Rumor has it that Halifax "should" get the Memorial Cup. If this is the case, no Nationals for Acadia.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Huge news as UQTR is busted for ineligible player. The tweets are in French but it sounds like they are forfeiting 13 games and it will cost them 19 points in the standings, dropping them from 2nd to 8th.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Apparently he played 6 games for them last year as well. Those 6 games should’ve been forfeited, which I assume would’ve had a huge impact on the standings/playoffs.

My question is how does no one in U Sports or UQTR notice this before now? It’s been almost a year. Seems like a colossal oversight. I am curious what the reaction of other teams is right now?

Last edited:

hockeyinsiderusports

Nov 20, 2017
I think they should ban Uqtr from Playoffs this year as penalty. I understand oversights happens but over two season, come on. I expect oua teams in east will be pushing for this against UQTR and some will petition to oua/Usports board of directors to have further sanctions against them.

I understand Uqtr blew whistle on themselves however it’s year
Late

Dutch

May 17, 2006
Trois-Rivières
The thing is, Nicolas Lariviere (the player in this case) would be a legal this year if he hadn't played last season. The fact that nobody noticed that in the U Sports ranks, even a year later, says a lot and they have to take a part of the blame. How far do you go back ? I'm pretty sure it would have gone unnoticed for his whole university career if UQTR hadn't blown the whistle on themselves. If it did, does UQTR have to forfeit 5 years of hockey for having a 4th liner play 6 illegal games?

In fact, the Patriotes started asking question before the November 24th game, as they wanted to align another Jr. A player. It took almost two months for the case to resolved. Calling that long is an understatement.

A 19 point penalty, for a player who would have been legal this year, and banning him, is already a pretty harsh decision if you ask me. But I've been told that's the usual punishment in U Sports.

Ironically, the reason the Patriotes decided to dress the player (Nicolas Lariviere), is because they sent 6 guys to the Universides and actually ran out of players because of injuries. He was a student at UQTR, but wasn't registered with the team before the December 31st deadline and he played junior A hockey after January 1st. That is where lies the problem and it's a major mistake.

Last edited:

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
They'll still make the playoffs. They are 2 points ahead of RMC and 3 points back of Nipissing. The question is who will the face in the first round?

It will either be McGill, Concordia or Carleton. Nipissing has two games in hand on them and easier opponents on the schedule. Should be close.

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
Very strange situation.

He was eligible to play last year, provided the hadn't played for any other team after Jan. 10th, but he did.

UQTR's Athletic Department and Compliance & Eligibility officer should have known better (if such a position exists at the school).

He is/was eligible to play this year as he turned 21 in July and has only played for UQTR after Jan 10th.

The impact to last year is UQTR would have dropped from 5th to 7th and should have played Concordia while Carleton would have played Ottawa and Queen's plays UOIT. A first round OTT/CAR series would have been fun to watch.

As for this season - I would rather they not forfeit any games, but instead not advance to the playoffs at all (which gives RMC a chance at advancing). Forfeiting points but still making the playoffs is not enough of a penalty - you end up playing an opponent you would have likely met in the 2nd round. A mistake this big should result in more than a fine and a slap on the hand.

RMC has a chance to advance as they have a soft schedule to end the season with 2 games vs Laurentian and 2 vs Nipissing while UQTR has to play 2 x CAR, 3 x OTT & 1 x McG.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad