Waived: 2017-18 Ongoing Waivers Thread

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Why would the Blues waive Thorburn? They trade Reaves and sign Thor to a 2 year deal and waive him?
Well we got Klim Kostin from Reaves and Army thought getting Thorburn he would replace him. I'm fine we dumped him. Tho give him 2-year deal was a bit hesitate move by Army.

cwede

Sep 1, 2010
I've asked this question in previous seasons and the answer is they are not eligible for the playoffs.

i presume that what this means is that a guy who is claimed cannot play in playoffs with new team.
I believe a guy who clears, even if demoted to AHL, is still eligible for playoffs

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
i presume that what this means is that a guy who is claimed cannot play in playoffs with new team.
I believe a guy who clears, even if demoted to AHL, is still eligible for playoffs
That I don't know for sure. Can't a player be called up in an emergency?

CraigBillington

Dec 10, 2010
Per Lavoie, Oduya to Philadelphia, Stewart to Calgary .

Surprised Burrows didn't get claimed by Vancouver

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg

Correct. Any player on a teams 90 man reserve list* (which is all signed NHL/AHL/ECHL players or unsigned draft choices presuming they would get signed before playing in NHL) as of today is eligible for playoffs (even if on waivers today). However if they are claimed it won't be processed until tommorrow and since the player wouldn't have been on the new teams 90 man reserve list as of today they would be ineligible for playoffs.

*=Only exceptions would be unsigned RFA's. Since you can't sign RFA's past December 1.

Reactions: uncleben85

cwede

Sep 1, 2010
Correct. Any player on a teams 90 man reserve list* (which is all signed NHL/AHL/ECHL players or unsigned draft choices presuming they would get signed before playing in NHL) as of today is eligible for playoffs (even if on waivers today). However if they are claimed it won't be processed until tommorrow and since the player wouldn't have been on the new teams 90 man reserve list as of today they would be ineligible for playoffs.
*=Only exceptions would be unsigned RFA's. Since you can't sign RFA's past December 1.

ok, re this RFA point

i will use NYR as examples because i know their real world cases

a few years back Zuccarello was QO'd RFA but spent season in KHL, then rejoined NYR mid/late March and did play in Playoffs
Zuccarello rejoins Rangers with new deal
Mats Zuccarello

obvi NYR likely don't make playoffs this spring,
but if eligible, could they, or could they NOT, re-sign a QO'd guy playing overseas (Carl Klingberg, Nicklas Jensen the Danish wing) to add for playoff depth ... ?

sorry for drilling down here, i am assuming others may be curious too

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
ok, re this RFA point

i will use NYR as examples because i know their real world cases

a few years back Zuccarello was QO'd RFA but spent season in KHL, then rejoined NYR mid/late March and did play in Playoffs
Zuccarello rejoins Rangers with new deal
Mats Zuccarello

obvi NYR likely don't make playoffs this spring,
but if eligible, could they, or could they NOT, re-sign a QO'd guy playing overseas (Carl Klingberg, Nicklas Jensen the Danish wing) to add for playoff depth ... ?

sorry for drilling down here, i am assuming others may be curious too

As soon as you mentioned a few years ago I had a suspicion and I was correct. The year that happened was 12-13. That year is notable in that it was a lockout year. For that year and that year only the December 1 deadline was removed due to the lockout lasting until January.

So unfortunately for this year Klingberg/Jensen/etc would not be able to be signed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad