2017-18 NBA regular season thread

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
I doubt it honestly. Rivers was amazing this year. He battled through so many injuries and had the Clippers playing for a playoff spot even if they didn’t make it. They barely had a point guard all year, their starting small forward was injured for most of the year and Blake was injured for a while too. There have been multiple times where they only had 8 healthy guys and the rest were playing through injuries or try out contracts.

Things have been rocky between them since A) He wasted theLob City era due to poor coaching & management decisions by him and 2) They took away his GM powers because of #1. I think if an up and coming team like PHX wanted him he'd make the move.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Things have been rocky between them since A) He wasted theLob City era due to poor coaching & management decisions by him and 2) They took away his GM powers because of #1. I think if an up and coming team like PHX wanted him he'd make the move.
If a team wants him possibly. I thought you meant he was getting fired. I have a hard time seeing that.

Reactions: Virtanen18

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
I still think he may get fired. With CP3 & Griffin gone, with Jordan right behind them -- its time for some new blood and to reboot.
I don’t think so though. They gave up a first to get him. Literally every single player on their team has missed multiple games (except DJ). It will be interesting to see what they do with DJ though. Personally I hope they convince him to opt in and trade him to someone like Cleveland for the Nets first.

Reactions: Virtanen18

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
The Western Conference playoff race is cutthroat. I would prefer if the Spurs were the team to be eliminated of all the teams that have yet to clinch. That said overall I'd like to see the T-Wolves get in, their fans have waited long enough for a playoff appearance.

Also want to see a Thunder/Warriors playoff series, be it first round or second.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
I don’t think so though. They gave up a first to get him. Literally every single player on their team has missed multiple games (except DJ). It will be interesting to see what they do with DJ though. Personally I hope they convince him to opt in and trade him to someone like Cleveland for the Nets first.

That was 5 years ago, and shouldn't be a deterrent on if they fire him or not. He was on thin ice after last season, but may get one more year (even tho Ballmer knows this team is going nowhere anytime soon).

Ben Simmons will be the best player of his era.. Very special talent

Not sure what you would consider his era but IMO it will be Davis (if you go back that far) if not then KAT. But he is quite the specimen.

Edi - throw Giannis in there too.

Last edited:

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
That was 5 years ago, and shouldn't be a deterrent on if they fire him or not. He was on thin ice after last season, but may get one more year (even tho Ballmer knows this team is going nowhere anytime soon).

Not sure what you would consider his era but IMO it will be Davis (if you go back that far) if not then KAT. But he is quite the specimen.
Rivers showed this year that he can be a teacher as a coach. If someone wants him and will give up a first then sure but Rivers and West together should be our future.

Reactions: Vamos Rafa

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
hornets name mitch kupchak GM and pres. of bball operations

will be very interesting to see how he does going from a huge market in LA to CHA

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street

will be very interesting to see how he does going from a huge market in LA to CHA

Did a great job rebuilding the Lakers after the Shaq/Kobe era even with Kobe calling for him to be fired every season until he traded for Gasol.

Should enjoy the quiet of Charlotte.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
I like the hire for Charlotte. Not quite the same market as is LA but still some good talent with the Hornets. Walker's a good one.

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
If OKC misses the playoffs then russ needs to change his game. Iverson didn't get it until it was too late.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte

There's already people here who are expecting the Hornets to become the next dynasty because of this hire, but a lot of these people are the same ones who swore up and down that Steph Curry was "coming home for sure!" before he signed that contract last summer.:facepalm:

That said, I think as long as Jordan doesn't interfere too much like he's prone to do then Kupchak should do fine.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
There's already people here who are expecting the Hornets to become the next dynasty because of this hire, but a lot of these people are the same ones who swore up and down that Steph Curry was "coming home for sure!" before he signed that contract last summer.:facepalm:

That said, I think as long as Jordan doesn't interfere too much like he's prone to do then Kupchak should do fine.

yeah, let's keep in mind the amount of money kupchak had to play around with in LA. not the case with CHA

mitch is a good GM. although he sure did leave the lakers with quite the parting gifts in mozgov and deng

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
That Philly team is special for sure. Don't know if they get to the East finals this year but they'll be a tough out and could be good for yrs. to come.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
I have discussed it with many of my friends and we all agree that neither the Rockets or Warriors will have an answer for Embiid.
I’d say Capela might be a good matchup with Embiid. Will he stop him? Probably not. Will he contain him? At least enough to give them a chance. For the Rockets, the biggest problem is Simmons. No way they can even contain him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad