MANITOBA BISONS 6
U.B.C. THUNDERBIRDS 3

Links:

LeagueStat: [Summary] : [Report]
CW Hockey Tech: [Summary] : [Report] : [Text]
Boxscores: [US/CIS] : [CW] : [UofM*]
Stories: [UBC] : [rp @CW] : [rp @UofM*]
GoBisons Friday: [Game Story] : [Boxscore]

The final game of 2017 for both sides could well set the stage for two teams heading in opposite directions. The T-irds are now on an 8-game losing skid and face a life-and-death struggle down the stretch just to make the playoffs. The Bisons will open their Christmas presents and ring in the New Year as a 3rd place team.

In roster notes, the Bisons were back to 5 defencemen as Austin Douglas was out, and Calvin Spencer in. The T-irds dressed just 19 bodies. After being short-staffed several times earlier in the season, they are once again having injury troubles. They could use some big prairie boys.

The Bisons' top line were the three stars and that says a lot about them. Here's the goals:

Scorers
1st 06:13 – Man Kamerin Nault (9)
2nd 05:09 – Man Blake Heinrich (1) (PP)
2nd 14:12 – Man Lucas Skrumeda (1)
2nd 17:11 – UBC Chase Clayton (3)
3rd 03:17 – UBC Jerret Smith (2)
3rd 06:32 – Man Kamerin Nault (10)
3rd 09:24 – UBC Tyler Sandhu (5) (PP)
3rd 12:17 – Man Michael St. Croix (6)
3rd 17:50 – Man Liam Bilton (4) (EN)

The Herd built a 3-0 lead, oddly with two first-of-the-season goals from defencemen. Through two periods, the Bisons held a 27-22 lead in shots and were more-or-less controlling the play.

To give the T-irds credit, they must have sensed their predicament and threw everything but the kitchen sink at the Byron Spriggs in the Bison net. Yet each time they scored, the Bisons replied with their own goal about 3 minutes later, then threw in an empty-netter to boot.

So who had Kamerin Nault scoring 10 goals by Christmas? Who had him dressing for 10 regular season games? Each player on the line had a 3 point night (Nault 2G 1A, Michael St. Croix 1G 2A, Zach Franko 3A).

There was a ton of action in this game. Spriggs got the win with 39 saves on 42 shots. UBC also switched starters from Friday night, going with Rylan Toth, who made 33 saves on 38 shots.

Since this was an afternoon encounter, the teams had to shower up, grab some snacks, and tune in to see what was happening elsewhere. The Bisons knew they'd be in 3rd place, and UBC was either going to be tied for 6th, or alone in 7th.

After a month off for exams and Christmas holidays, the teams return to action on January 5th. The Bisons will host the Evil Monkeys, whilst the T-irds fly to the Town of Bedrock to face the Dinos.

171202-_UBC-_UM1-_Henry.jpg

171202-_UBC-_UM2-_St_Croix.jpg

OUT-OF-TOWN SCOREBOARD

Sask-green-50x50.jpg
Regina-50x50.jpg

SASKATCHEWAN HUSKIES 6
REGINA COUGARS 5

Links:

LeagueStat: [Summary] : [CWHT Summary]
Boxscores: [US/CIS] : [CW]
Stories: [UofR] : [rp @CW] : [rp @UofS*]

Once again, the Banjo Cats gave the Banjo Mutts all they could handle but came up a goal short. Their celebratory moonshine will have to stay in the still for another year, I guess. Sask got off to a quick 3-1 lead, causing the Kittens to yank starting goaltender Michael Herringer after barely 5 minutes. He gave up 3 goals on 8 shots. Regina came back to tie it at 3-3, and the game was later tied 4-4 and 5-5. Sask got the winner with just 92 seconds left. Jordon Cooke got the win, but 5 goals on 28 shots will damage his save percentage. Dawson MacAuley lost from the bullpen, and stopped 36 of 39 shots. Mutt forward Andrew Johnson was the only one with 2 goals. Regina packed in a crowd of 1,020! That offer of a free pair of used socks for a lucky fan sure drew them in.

Lethbridge-50x50.jpg
Calgary-2013-50x50.jpg

LETHBRIDGE PRONGHORNS 4
CALGARY DINOSAURS 3

(in overtime)

Links:

Stories: [UofC*] : [rp @CW*] : [UofL*]

The Hørny Ønes were down 4 men in their roster and 3-0 in the 2nd period before they rallied for an OTW. The win vaults them into 6th place and that elusive final playoff berth. Mitch Cook had 2 goals for the Dinos, and goaltender Jordan Papirny was working on a shutout, but in the end gave up 4 goals on 23 shots. The rally was sparked by 2 goals (including the winner) from Connor Sanvido and the goaltending if Garret Hughson (who stopped 29 of 32 shots). The single point leaves the Dinos two points in arrears of the Bisons in the race for 3rd.

Mount-_Royal-2017-50x50.jpg
Alberta-50px.jpg

MOUNT ROYAL COUGARS 2
ALBERTA GOLDEN BEARS 4

Links:

Stories: [UofA] : [rp @CW] : [rp @MRU]

After the Bison game was done, I was able to watch most of this one. It was one of the better games of the season so far. It doesn't hurt that the crew in Edmontown puts out an extremely high quality broadcast, either. The Bluegars held leads of 1-0 and 2-1 in a very close-fought encounter. The last goal was an empty-netter, but the rest were all on the powerplay. Zach Sawchenko got the win with 19 saves, and Cam Lanigan took the loss with 25 saves. Don't be surprised to see the Bluegars close the season strong. This was anybody's game.

STANDINGS

171202-standings-_LS.jpg

OUT EAST

Ontario
Dec 02 Carleton 3 R.M.C. 0
Dec 02 Guelph 1 Windsor 4
Dec 02 Laurentian 4 Concordia 9
Dec 02 Nipissing 3 McGill 4
Dec 02 Ottawa 2 Queen's 3 (ot)
Dec 02 Toronto 2 Brock 4
Dec 02 U.Q.T.R. 2 U.O.I.T. 3
Dec 02 York 2 Ryerson 5

Atlantic
Dec 02 New Brunswick 3 Acadia 2 (ot)
Dec 02 St. F.X. 3 Moncton 2
Dec 02 U.P.E.I. 4 Saint Mary's 5

Links:
• [US/CIS S&R]
• [OUA S&R]
• [AUS S&R]

NEXT UP

Non-conference Games
Dec 09 N.A.I.T. (ACAC) at Alberta
Dec 10 Team Poland at New Brunswick
Dec 28 Guelph at Lakehead
Dec 29 Guelph at Lakehead
Dec 29 Ryerson at New Brunswick
Dec 30 McGill at Clarkson (NCAA)
Dec 30 Ryerson at New Brunswick
Dec 30 Windsor at Miami of Ohio (NCAA)

New Year Regular Season Openers
Jan 03 AUS Saint Mary's at Moncton
Jan 04 OUA Toronto at Guelph
Jan 05 CW Alberta at Manitoba
Jan 05 CW Mount Royal at Regina
Jan 05 CW Saskatchewan at Lethbridge
Jan 05 CW U.B.C. at Calgary

* indicates link not active as I post

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
SUNDAY MORNING LINKS

A load of stories and links were not updated as I closed down on Saturday night. Here they are now!

MANITOBA BISONS v U.B.C. THUNDERBIRDS

Boxscores: [UofM]
Stories: [rp @UofM]

SASKATCHEWAN HUSKIES v REGINA COUGARS

Stories: [rp @UofS]

LETHBRIDGE PRONGHORNS v CALGARY DINOSAURS

Stories: [UofC] : [rp @CW] : [rp @UofL]
Other: [Greatest Pronghorns: #1-#10]

1ST SEMESTER STANDINGS

Here are the various conference standings, outside of the CW, as at the end of the 1st semester:

u-sports-50x50.jpg

aus-2012-50x50.jpg
Atlantic University Sports
171202-standings-_AUS.jpg

oua-2014-50x50.jpg
Ontario University Athletics
171202-standings-_OUA.jpg

acac-letters-50x50.jpg
Alberta Colleges Athletic Conference
171202-standings-_ACAC.jpg

bcihl-50x50.jpg
British Columbia Intercollegiate Hockey League
171202-standings-_BCIHL.jpg

Last edited:

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
Dec 9-14: Preview: Exhibition Games

NEWS AND NOTES

These links would normally be shared as part of my weekly Bison preview, so here they are all by their lonesome. It is nice to see Brett Stovin, Bison captain, have a big weekend against UBC last week. If his line can match the output of the St. Croix-Nault-Franko line, the Bisons could mount a threat to knock off Sask for a spot at the nationals.

Links:
• Manitoban: [Manitoba-UBC Story]
• GoBisons: [Stovin CW 2nd Star]
• GoBisons: [Stovin UofM AoW]
• ISN: [Sask-Regina Story]
• CW: [Mid-season Report]
• CUSN: [Week 9]
• USports: [Top 10]

THIS WEEKEND

NAIT-50x50.jpg
Alberta-50px.jpg

N.A.I.T. OOKS (11-2-1, 12-6-2, ACAC #1)
ALBERTA GOLDEN BEARS (15-1-0, 20-2-0, OHT35 #3)

Links:
UofA: [Preview Story]
NAIT: [Preview Story]

This charity match is the closer for the Northlands Coliseum, so it should draw a good crowd for nostalgia purposes.

Poland-50x50.jpg
UNB-2007-hockey-50x50.jpg

POLAND NATIONAL TEAM (IIHF #20)
NEW BRUNSWICK VARSITY REDS (15-0-3, 17-1-3, OHT35 #1)

Links:
UNB: [Preview Story]
Poland: [Wikipedia] : [IIHF]

The Squirrels face the Meatheads! This would be quite the event to witness. Poland's national team is just outside the qualifiers for the world championship. Ted Nolan is their coach. (He formerly coached the Buffalo Sabres and Latvia's Olympic Team, amongst others.)

WORLD JUNIOR CAMP

In what has become an annual event, the Team Canada Juniors will face a CIS/USports team in their selection camp. The games will be played in St. Catharines, Ontario on Wednesday, Dec 13th at 7:00 EST/6:00 CST and Thursday, Dec 14th at 4:00 EST/3:00 CST.

Here are the historical results of these encounters that I have compiled (there were some additional games played by the AUS which I don't have):

Canada West Games
Dec. 14, 2004 at Winnipeg: Manitoba Bisons 4, Team Canada 2
Dec. 15, 2004 at Winnipeg: Team Canada 6, Manitoba Bisons 3
Dec, 15, 2006 at Calgary: Calgary/Lethbridge 5, Team Canada 4
Dec. 15, 2009 at Saskatoon: Sask./Regina 4, Team Canada 2
Dec. 17, 2011 at Calgary: Team Canada 7, Calgary/Lethbridge 4
Dec. 12, 2012 at Edmonton: Alberta Golden Bears 4, Team Canada 1
Dec. 13, 2012 at Calgary: Team Canada 2, Calgary/Lethbridge/MRU 0

CW teams are 4-3-0 overall.

OUA and AUS Games
Dec. 14, 2002 at Acadia: AUS Selects 2, Team Canada 5
Dec. 15, 2002 at Acadia: AUS Selects 2, Team Canada 3
Dec. 14, 2010 at Toronto: Team Canada 6, OUA Selects 2
Dec. 14, 2013 at Toronto: Team Canada 3, Toronto Selects 0
Dec. 13, 2014 at Toronto: Team Canada 10, Toronto Selects 3
Dec. 14, 2014 at Toronto: Team Canada 3, Toronto Selects 0

OUA and AUS teams are 0-6-0 overall.

CIS/U Sports Nation-wide Games
Dec. 12, 2015 at Toronto: CIS 5, Team Canada 4 (SO)
Dec. 13, 2015 at Toronto: Team Canada 5, CIS 0
Dec. 12, 2016 at Toronto: Team Canada 5, USports 3
Dec. 13, 2016 at Toronto: Team Canada 3, USports 0

CIS/Usports teams are 1-3-0 overall.

I would sooner see the defending champion of either USports or the host conference stage this game. It seems a lot of expense for USports, which could be better spent on boosting travel for inter-conference games. Still, I'll be interested to see what I can of these games.

Links:
• [Wikia CWUAA]
• [USports Press Release] : [rp @CW] : [rp @ISN]
• [Hockey Canada]

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
Dec 9-10: Monkeys and Squirrels Win

OUT-OF-TOWN SCOREBOARD

December 9, 2017

NAIT-50x50.jpg
Alberta-50px.jpg

N.A.I.T. OOKS 0
ALBERTA GOLDEN BEARS 4

Links:
Boxscores: [CW*]
Stories: [Edmonton Sun Pre-Game]

There are no game stories for this one but the LeagueStats are posted. The Evil Monkeys outshot the Furbies (why would they name their team after stuffed owls that look like Furbies?) 40-27. Four different players scored goals for the Apes, and each side split their goaltending duties.

December 10, 2017

Poland-50x50.jpg

POLAND NATIONAL TEAM 1
NEW BRUNSWICK VARSITY REDS 4

Links:
UNB: [Game Story] : [Boxscore]
AUSTV: [Video]
Poland: [PZHL News (use Google Translate)]
IIHF: [Poland Page] : [2017 Div 1A] : [Highlights v Austria]
International: [Ice Hockey 24] : [Flashscore] : [Scoreboard]

I logged in to my computer to see if this game was on AUSTV and it was a good news-bad news scenario. Yes, it was streamed. But it was an afternoon game by Atlantic time and was over. The final goal was an empty-netter and statistically it was a reasonable game.

I checked out the Polish site using Google Translate. They opened the tour losing 5-2 to the Stony Creek Generals (a AAA Allan Cup team), and will conclude with a game against the New Brunswick Senior All-Stars. It seems that this team is drawn from the Polish league, so it would not include any players in foreign pro leagues, if any are out there.

This made me think of past occasions where CIAU/CIS/US teams have played senior national teams in the past (not the junior teams as previously posted). Off the top of my head, such games have been played by the Manitoba Bisons, Lakehead Norwesters, and UBC Thunderbirds. So here's what I compiled:

January 18, 1931: Manitoba 0, Czechoslovakia 0
February 1, 1931: Manitoba 9, France 0 (wc)
February 4, 1931: Manitoba 2, Czechoslovakia 0 (wc)
February 5, 1931: Manitoba 3, Poland 0 (wc)
February 6, 1931: Manitoba 0, Sweden 0 (wc)
February 7, 1931: Manitoba 8, Austria 0 (wc)
February 8, 1931: Manitoba 2, U.S.A. 0 (wc)
February 12, 1931: Manitoba 4, Czechoslovakia 0
February 15, 1931: Manitoba 3, Switzerland 0
February 21, 1931: Manitoba 11, Switzerland 1
March 1, 1931: Manitoba 2, Czechoslovakia 1
March 4, 1931: Manitoba 7, England 0
March 7, 1931: Manitoba 7, England 1
March 11, 1931: Manitoba 2, England 1
March 12, 1931: Manitoba 3, England 2
March 13, 1931: Manitoba 11, Scotland 1
November 18, 1965: Canada Nats 13, Manitoba 2
December 13, 1967: Lakehead 7, Romania 3
January 5, 1969: Sweden B 7, Lakehead 2
December 7, 1973: UBC 5, China 0
December 9, 1973: UBC 7, China 0
February 10, 2010: Norway 4, UBC 1

In 1931 the Manitoba Bisons represented Canada at the World Championship in Poland and they toured extensively both before and after the tournament. The games against their national teams are included here. The complete list is at [Wikia].

So now the Squirrels have joined the fold of Canadian universities to have played against, and beaten, a national team.

NEXT UP

Dec 13 USports All-Stars v Team Canada Jrs.
Dec 14 USports All-Stars v Team Canada Jrs.

* indicates link not active as I post

MiamiHockey

Sep 12, 2012
Dec 9-14: Preview: Exhibition Games

NEWS AND NOTES

These links would normally be shared as part of my weekly Bison preview, so here they are all by their lonesome. It is nice to see Brett Stovin, Bison captain, have a big weekend against UBC last week. If his line can match the output of the St. Croix-Nault-Franko line, the Bisons could mount a threat to knock off Sask for a spot at the nationals.

Links:
• Manitoban: [Manitoba-UBC Story]
• GoBisons: [Stovin CW 2nd Star]
• GoBisons: [Stovin UofM AoW]
• ISN: [Sask-Regina Story]
• CW: [Mid-season Report]
• CUSN: [Week 9]
• USports: [Top 10]

THIS WEEKEND

NAIT-50x50.jpg
Alberta-50px.jpg

N.A.I.T. OOKS (11-2-1, 12-6-2, ACAC #1)
ALBERTA GOLDEN BEARS (15-1-0, 20-2-0, OHT35 #3)

Links:
UofA: [Preview Story]
NAIT: [Preview Story]

This charity match is the closer for the Northlands Coliseum, so it should draw a good crowd for nostalgia purposes.

Poland-50x50.jpg

POLAND NATIONAL TEAM (IIHF #20)
NEW BRUNSWICK VARSITY REDS (15-0-3, 17-1-3, OHT35 #1)

Links:
UNB: [Preview Story]
Poland: [Wikipedia] : [IIHF]

The Squirrels face the Meatheads! This would be quite the event to witness. Poland's national team is just outside the qualifiers for the world championship. Ted Nolan is their coach. (He formerly coached the Buffalo Sabres and Latvia's Olympic Team, amongst others.)

WORLD JUNIOR CAMP

In what has become an annual event, the Team Canada Juniors will face a CIS/USports team in their selection camp. The games will be played in St. Catharines, Ontario on Wednesday, Dec 13th at 7:00 EST/6:00 CST and Thursday, Dec 14th at 4:00 EST/3:00 CST.

Here are the historical results of these encounters that I have compiled (there were some additional games played by the AUS which I don't have):

Canada West Games
Dec. 14, 2004 at Winnipeg: Manitoba Bisons 4, Team Canada 2
Dec. 15, 2004 at Winnipeg: Team Canada 6, Manitoba Bisons 3
Dec, 15, 2006 at Calgary: Calgary/Lethbridge 5, Team Canada 4
Dec. 15, 2009 at Saskatoon: Sask./Regina 4, Team Canada 2
Dec. 17, 2011 at Calgary: Team Canada 7, Calgary/Lethbridge 4
Dec. 12, 2012 at Edmonton: Alberta Golden Bears 4, Team Canada 1
Dec. 13, 2012 at Calgary: Team Canada 2, Calgary/Lethbridge/MRU 0

CW teams are 4-3-0 overall.

OUA and AUS Games
Dec. 14, 2002 at Acadia: AUS Selects 2, Team Canada 5
Dec. 15, 2002 at Acadia: AUS Selects 2, Team Canada 3
Dec. 14, 2010 at Toronto: Team Canada 6, OUA Selects 2
Dec. 14, 2013 at Toronto: Team Canada 3, Toronto Selects 0
Dec. 13, 2014 at Toronto: Team Canada 10, Toronto Selects 3
Dec. 14, 2014 at Toronto: Team Canada 3, Toronto Selects 0

OUA and AUS teams are 0-6-0 overall.

CIS/U Sports Nation-wide Games
Dec. 12, 2015 at Toronto: CIS 5, Team Canada 4 (SO)
Dec. 13, 2015 at Toronto: Team Canada 5, CIS 0
Dec. 12, 2016 at Toronto: Team Canada 5, USports 3
Dec. 13, 2016 at Toronto: Team Canada 3, USports 0

CIS/Usports teams are 1-3-0 overall.

I would sooner see the defending champion of either USports or the host conference stage this game. It seems a lot of expense for USports, which could be better spent on boosting travel for inter-conference games. Still, I'll be interested to see what I can of these games.

Links:
• [Wikia CWUAA]
• [USports Press Release] : [rp @CW] : [rp @ISN]
• [Hockey Canada]

MiamiHockey

Sep 12, 2012
This has come up in the past ... and again you neglect the exhibition game(s) between the OUA All-Stars and Team Canada in 1996.
For the 1997 World Juniors, Team Canada was coached by Mike Babcock, with Mike Pelino of Brock U. as an Asst Coach.
In Dec. 1996, they played at least one (I think there may have been two, but I was only at one) game against OUA All-Stars in Kitchener-Waterloo. Current McGill coach Kelly Nobes was among the OUA All-Stars.
The game I was at ended 5-3 for the OUA squad, if I recall correctly.
It's hard to find any news on the series ... the World Juniors were not a big newsmaker back then, and the Kitchener-Waterloo Record archive is hard to access.
The game itself was played at the Kinsman Arena ... a small rink attached to the Memorial Auditorium.

MiamiHockey

Sep 12, 2012
I found the archives ... the series was split ...

In the first game, the OUAA West All-Stars defeated Team Canada.
In the second game, the OUAA East All-Stars were defeated by Team Canada.

Articles below ... you can get them in their entirety for $10.95 Cdn from the archive.

Preview:
University stars will test Canada's top juniors
[Final Edition]
Publication:The Record - Kitchener, Ont.
Author:Rivet, Christine
Date:Dec 11, 1996
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Abstract (Document Summary)
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Yet another ex-Ranger, forward Tim Spitzig, joins a quartet of former OHLers and current University of Guelph Gryphons who will represent the OUAA East selects. They include Chris Clancy (Belleville Bulls), J.P. Davis (Guelph Storm) and Briane Thompson (Soo Greyhounds).
Forwards: Todd Zavitz (Brock), Dan Ceman (Windsor), Brady Blain, Jason Heywood (Western), Jamie Janjevich, Chad Brezynskie (Laurier), Ian Richardson (Ryerson), Chris Kraemer (Waterloo), Ben Davis, Jason Pain (York), Kevin McKay, Brad Baber (Laurentian).
Forwards: Marc Beaucage (UQTR), Kelly Nobes, Stephane Angers, Pierre Gendron (McGill), Tim Spitzig, Chris Clancy (Guelph), Jamie Coon, Paul Handley (Toronto), D'Arcy O'Shea (Queen's), Ryan Latinovich (RMC), Andrew Chlebus, Dave Szabo (Concordia).
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Game 1: Dec 16, 2016 ... OUAA West All-Stars defeat Team Canada:

University selects whip junior nats
[Final Edition]
The Record - Kitchener, Ont.
Date:Dec 17, 1996
Start Page:D.2
Section:Sports
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
The university all-stars -- represented by players from Waterloo, Laurier, Brock, Western, Windsor, Ryerson, York and Laurentian -- got a three-point performance from former Soo Greyhound right winger Brad Baber.
The juniors get another crack at the OUAA tonight. This time, Team Canada meets the university east conference all-stars from Guelph, Toronto, Queen's, Royal Military College, along with the three Quebec schools, McGill, the University of Quebec at Three Rivers and Concordia. Game time at the Kinsmen Arena is 6:30 p.m.
Former Kitchener Ranger Chris Kraemer, 24, now of the Waterloo Warriors, skated with the university selects. He said many OUAA players were mindful of the pro scouts in attendance.

Game 2: Dec 17, 1996 ... Team Canada defeats OUAA East All-Stars:

Junior nationals get by university stars: Final cuts come today as Team Canada prepares to leave for tournament in Switzerland
[Final Edition]
The Record - Kitchener, Ont.
Date:Dec 18, 1996
Start Page:C.2
Section:Sports
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Other top performers at the camp including goalie Marc Denis (Chicoutimi), defencemen Chris Phillips (Prince Albert) and Jason Doig (Granby) and forwards Alyn McCauley (Ottawa) and Brad Larsen (Swift Current) are also considered shoo-ins for the final roster.
Kitchener Rangers centre Boyd Devereaux is also expected to make the team. Devereaux received a huge vote of confidence from Team Canada's coaches when he was asked to sit out during the juniors' final exhibition game on Tuesday.
Black & White Photo: Derek Oliver, record staff Marc Beaucage(16) from the University of Quebec at Trois Rivieres tussles with Team Canada's Joe Thornton (25) during an exhibition game at Kitchener's Kinsmen Arena Tuesday, while Daniel Briere (14) moves in looking for a loose puck.

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
Good stuff!

BTW, go to Wikia, sign up, and add stuff you have buried somewhere. Every time they "improve" a website they tend to reduce the archives. So saving stuff to Wikia helps preserve records.

Link for the new Wikia page I started for the topic of CIS teams vs. national teams:
Canadian University Teams v National Teams

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
Dec 13: USports beat Team Canada

171213-_US-_TC-gamead.jpg

canada.jpg
U-_Sports-50x50.jpg

TEAM CANADA 0
USPORTS ALL-STARS 3

Links:

Game stories: [TSN] : [CBC] : [Sportsnet] : [National Post]
USports: [Event Info] : [Media Guide (pdf)]
USports: [Harper Profile] : [Monday Morning]
Boxscore: [Hockey Canada]

The U Sports All-Stars blanked the Juniors Nats with the use of two goaltenders on loan from TC, namely Colton Point and Carter Hart. That was because TC needed to look at all 4 goaltenders in their camp. Luke Philp (of the Alberta Evil Monkeys) scored the winner less than 3 minutes into the game, followed by empty netters by Michael Clarke (of the Acadia Axemen) and Logan McVeigh (of the Saskatchewan Banjo Mutts). The Juniors had the edge in shots, 32-24, after piling on the shots in the 3rd period.

The rematch on Dec 14th will be a matinee affair. TC will then face Denmark in an exhibition game on Dec 15th. The USports calendar will then be blank until non-conference play takes place after Christmas.

NEXT UP

Dec 14 USports All-Stars v Team Canada Jrs. - 3:00 CST - TSN GO

171213-_US-_TC-1.jpg

171213-_US-_TC-2-_Point.jpg

171213-_US-_TC-3-_Hart.jpg

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
Dec 14: Late Goal Gives USports a Sweep

Canada-50x50.jpg
U-_Sports-50x50.jpg

TEAM CANADA 3
USPORTS ALL-STARS 4

Links:

Game stories: [TSN] : [CBC] : [Sportsnet] : [National Post]
USports: [Game Story] : [rp @CW]
Boxscore: [OUA LeagueStat] : [Hockey Canada]
Players cut: [Toronto Star] : [National Post]

The USports All-Stars completed a sweep in a last-second thriller against Team Canada's junior edition. Jason Fram (of the Evil Monkeys) scored the winner, fellow Monkey Cole Sanford scored twice, and Not-PM Stephen Harper also scored. The shots were dead even (27-27), and all four TC goaltenders played half a game once again, for both sides.

As usual, there are loads of commentaries about the "best kept secret" of university hockey in Canada. It would be nice to see regular season games get greater coverage in the outlets which are reporting heavily on these exhibitions.

After the game, 6 players were cut. Included were first round draft choices Logan Stanley (Winnipeg Jets) and Cody Glass (Vegas Golden Knights). The others were Kole Lind, Jonathan Ang, Dennis Cholowski, and goalie Samuel Harvey. No doubt a tough experience for an exceptional hockey player.

NEXT UP

Holiday Season Non-conference Games
Dec 28 Guelph at Lakehead

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
Dec 21: Dinos Penalized 8 Points

CW-2017-_Calgary_Banner-116x73.jpg

There are many links which parrot the CP story without embellishment. The player has not been identified but in any event the Dinos used an ineligible player in October for 6 games, in which they obtained 8 points. Those decisions have been reversed, which is a boon for UBC (who get 4 points) and Lethbridge (who get 2). The Dinos lose 3 points from Lethbridge, 4 from UBC, an 1 from Alberta.

I don't like giving points to their opponents, but taking points from Bedrock U seems fair.

The Bisons now lead 4th place UBC by 5 points. The Dinos are now in 7th, a point behind MRU.

Links:
• [New CW Standings]
• [CW]
• [Sportsnet]
• [National Post]
• [Times Colonist]

OTHER STUFF

Links:
• [CUSN - Dec 13th]
• [Ubyssey 1st Semester Report Card]

Last edited:

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
Dec 28-30: Non-Conference Games and News

OUT-OF-TOWN SCOREBOARD

Guelph-circle-50x50.jpg
Lakehead-head-50x50.jpg

GUELPH GRYPHONS 3
LAKEHEAD THUNDERWOLVES 2

(in overtime)

Links:
LU: [Series Preview] : [Game Story]
UofG: [Team Site]

This game kicked off a miniature non-conference schedule. The Wolves blew a 2-goal lead and suffered an OTL. At one time they hosted a 4-team round-robin tournament between Christmas and New Year's, often involving the Manitoba Bisons. Now it is just a 2-game series, and this year against a divisional opponent. It would be more interesting to see them play a team from another conference. The rematch goes Friday night in Thunder Bay.

NEXT UP

Dec 30 Calgary at Alberta

The Battle of Alberta is a new addition to the schedule. While it seems odd to play a division / conference rival in a mid-season exhibition game, I can see where a team could use such a game to kick off the rust after a Christmas/exam break. Of interest is the Kelly Cup in somewhat-New Brunswick, where the Squirrels will host Rye High. It is always better when non-conference games are played by teams from different conferences.

NEWS AND COMMENTARY

Manitoba-brown-50x50.png

Links:
• The Manitoban: [Bisons split T-Birds to close first half]
• GoBisons: [Stovin is Smitty’s Bison Sports Male Athlete of the Week]
• GoBisons: [Stovin selected Canada West Male Second Star of the Week]
• Free Press: [Stovin receives first Fleming Family hockey coach scholarship]
• Global: [Moose bounce back in rematch with Milwaukee]
• Stats: [CW leading scorers]

There were quite a few stories about the Bisons since their last game. First, The Manitoban printed a story about the big win over UBC, which has solidified the Herd's grip on 3rd place heading into the 2nd semester.

Then came the accolades for team captain Brett Stovin. He was given the nice big cheque from the Fleming Family at the last home game of the 1st semester. Nice to see the Free Press give this coverage. Also nice to see him have his best weekend on the ice. If he and his line can play up to their potential in the 2nd semester, the Bisons could mount a serious challenge to the 2nd place Mutts.

Bison assistant coach, and former all-Canadian goaltender, Steve Christie was an emergency back-up for the Manitoba Moose. The Jets called up Comrie because Mason was hurt. Hutchinson was hurt for the Moose. So the Moose called up Jamie Phillips to start, and Christie to back him up.

I also cited the CW's list of leading scorers. Why? Well, after the break the Bisons host the Evil Monkeys. The Bisons have 4 of the Top 20 scorers, and the Monkeys have 6. So exactly half of the conference's leading scorers will be on display that weekend.

Alberta-green-50x50.jpg

Links:
• [Philp powers U SPORTS past Team Canada in Game 1]
• [Golden Bears once again lead U SPORTS past Canadian Juniors]
• [Golden Bears Hockey vs Calgary Dinos]

While the USports win over the Team Canada Juniors was good for the brand, it was especially good for the Monkeys. Luke Philp and Jason Fram scored the winning goals as the Apes led the All-Stars to a sweep. Hopefully the link re: the Calgary game will be updated with some information about the income. I don't believe that LeagueStat updates will be offered.

Calgary-red-50x50.jpg

Links:
• [Franson, Busenius named to U SPORTS all-star squad]
• [Former Wheat King leaves the pro ranks, heads to University]
• [Tweet: Ryan Graham]

Of course, the big news in the Town of Bedrock was the 8 points in the standings which they lost due to the use of an ineligible player. That has been digested already, except that the grounds for the suspension remain private.

Though their interprovincial rivals have bragging rights when it comes to the USports All-Star series, the Dinos still had room to boast their contribution.

Finally, they had an incredible recruiting class, and that's not enough. They are adding former Wheat King Tyler Coulter and ECHLer Ryan Graham.

Lethbridge-blue-50x50.jpg

Links:
• CW: [WHL Grad of the Month: Hughson, 'Horns enter break flying high] : [rp @UofL]
• Stats: [Garret Hughson]

Goaltender Garret Hughson has turned it up a notch and in the process has got the Hørny Ønes on an optimistic note.

Mount_Royal-2017-blue-50x50.jpg

Links:
• [Men's Hockey Mid-Season Report]

All we have from the Bluegars is a mid-season synopsis on the squad. IMO, they remain a team to watch in the 2nd half.

Regina-bars-50x50.gif

Links:
• Team Site: [Viterra In Your Community: Featuring Tyler King]
• Leader-Post: [Zborosky makes impact in first year with Cougars]
• Leader-Post: [Cougars hockey is a treat] : [Entertaining game helped a good cause]

The Banjo Cats posted a profile story about Tyler King, a 2nd year player. The leader-Post ran their own profile, of newcomer Zak Zborosky. He has been that blue-chip recruit who avoided Regina like the plague in recent seasons. Although they are seemingly destined to be a decisive 8th place again, they are no push-overs.

Regina's final series of the 1st semester was a home-and-home affair with Sask. They used the charity angle to pack the arenas. They drew over 1,000 fans themselves. In the process, they impressed a local writer, Rob Vanstone, who gushed over the quality of play in his two stories.

Sask-hockey-50x50.jpg

Links:
• Team Site: [Four Huskies named to U SPORTS Men’s Hockey All-Star Team]
• Team Site: [All-Star Game 1] : [All-Star Game 2]
• Star-Phoenix: [Huskies midterm report: Hockey Dogs, women's basketball get top marks]

The Banjo Mutts' Team Site carried just stories with an All-Star motif. They talked about their four selections (Kendall McFaull, Jordon Cooke, Josh Roach, and Logan McVeigh), then reposted the game stories on the two games. Their local paper then ran a mid-season report, on all Mutt squads.

UBC-blue-50x50.jpg

Links:
• [Resiliency, work ethic key for Stenerson and the ‘Birds]

The T-irds ran a profile story about a new Junior A grad, Michael Stenerson, moving up to the CW.

U-_Sports-50x50.jpg

Links:
• USports: [TOP 10 TUESDAY]
• CUSN: [Thursday Morning Skate: December 14th, 2017]
• Owen Sound Sun Times: [Former Attack players get schooled ]
• The Silhoutte:[Time to change the channel?]

This segment has the stories and links on nation-wide matters. The first two links are in the sequence commonly referenced each week. The last two links are of the type not yet cited.

The Owen Sound piece puffs up the calibre of USports hockey. These stories are always nice to read but it would be useful for the brand to get this exposure throughout the season.

The Silhouette story is about 9 months old. It raises the issues about the TV deal signed between the CIS (as it then was) and Sportsnet (before they won the NHL bidding war). Should USports change the channel and go back to TSN? I wouldn't mind. However, it could be beneficial to have different sports on different channels. I'd like to see TSN cover the Vanier Cup, (a blended Vanier Cup/Grey Cup promotion would be great), and hockey (Sportsnet became disinterested in promotions once they got the NHL contract). Meanwhile, Sportsnet could do basketball and perhaps expand coverage into the less attractive sports, like volleyball and soccer.

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
Dec 29: Home Teams Win

OUT-OF-TOWN SCOREBOARD

Guelph-50x50.gif
Lakehead-2017-50x50.jpg

GUELPH GRYPHONS 2
LAKEHEAD THUNDERWOLVES 4

Links:
LU: [Team Site] : [Twitter]
UofG: [Team Site]
Thursday late: [TB Newswatch] : [Net News Ledger] : [Chronicle-Journal]

No stories nor summaries posted yet. But there is Twitter! Shots were 35-27 in favour of the Thundermutts. So the home side wins the series 3-2 on points, I guess. Guelph gets no easier to rank based on these results.

Ryerson-_R-2011-50x50.jpg

RYERSON RAMS 5
NEW BRUNSWICK VARSITY REDS 6

(in overtime)

Links:
AUS: [Boxscore]
RU: [Team Site]

The stats on this one are nuts. Rye High started with a 3-0 lead, despite being severely outshot in every period. (19-8, 22-4, 19-7, 3-0, 63-19 overall.) That's like a Canada v Japan international game. With less than 13 minutes to go, the Squirrels trailed 5-2. One has to think that if the teams repeat their performance on Saturday night, it will be a whuppin.

NEXT UP

Non-conference Games
Dec 30 Calgary at Alberta

2nd Semester Conference Openers
Jan 03 AUS: Saint Mary's at Moncton
Jan 04 OUA: Toronto at Guelph
Jan 05 CW: Alberta at Manitoba
Jan 05 CW: Mount Royal at Regina
Jan 05 CW: Saskatchewan at Lethbridge
Jan 05 CW: U.B.C. at Calgary

Last edited:

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
Dec 30: Holiday Season Non-conference Wrap-Up

OUT-OF-TOWN SCOREBOARD

Calgary-red-50x50.jpg
Alberta-green-50x50.jpg

CALGARY DINOSAURS 1
ALBERTA GOLDEN BEARS 4

Links:

UofA: [S&R] : [Twitter] : [Final Tweet]
UofC: [S&R]

The team websites have nothing, but the Monkeys' Twitter was going ape with updates. Alberta outshot Bedrock U 44-28 and the last goal was an empty-netter. Jayden Hart took a 5-minute major for a charge. He may have to serve a suspension against the Bisons next weekend. After their points deduction, the Dinos could have used a better result to boost their spirits.

Ryerson-ram-2011-50x50.jpg
UNB-2009-50x50.jpg

RYERSON RAMS 2
NEW BRUNSWICK VARSITY REDS 8

Links:

AUS: [Boxscore]
RU: [Team Site]

Although the shot clock was closer than on Friday, it sounds like the Squirrels were gathering nuts, whilst Rye High was not as Ram Tough as they might have thought. UNB held just a 1-goal lead until mid-way through the 2nd. At that point, the Rams switched goaltenders. UNB then racked up 7 goals on 20 shots to win in a walk. Each team had 7 powerplays. So UNB wins their own Pete Kelly Cup, again. I'd be interested in hearing from AUS fans as to whether or not Rye High would make the playoffs in the AUS.

windsor-shield-50x50.gif
Miami_Ohio-50x50.jpg

WINDSOR LANCERS 2
MIAMI (OHIO) REDHAWKS 8

Links:

UW: [Team S&R]
UMO: [Game Story]
CHN: [Boxscore]

Not a great season for the Lancers. They were outshot 41-13. The Redhawks scored early and often. I see that UMO is 8-8-2 on the season. So just how did Ohio end up with a Miami? BTW, Manitoba has a Miami, also.

Mc_Gill-50px.jpg
Clarkson-50x50.jpg

MCGILL REDMEN -
CLARKSON GOLDEN KNIGHTS -

Links:

MGU: [Team Site]
CU: [Team Site]
CHN: [College Hockey News Scoreboard]

My guess is this one was cancelled at some point in time. And after I downloaded the Knight logo and everything.

Late links:

GUELPH v LAKEHEAD

Friday's game:

LU: [Game Story]
Other: [TB Newswatch] : [Net News Ledger] : [Chronicle-Journal]

So that's it for 2017. Happy New Year, everybody!

NEXT UP

2nd Semester Conference Openers
Jan 03 AUS: Saint Mary's at Moncton
Jan 04 OUA: Toronto at Guelph
Jan 05 CW: Alberta at Manitoba
Jan 05 CW: Mount Royal at Regina
Jan 05 CW: Saskatchewan at Lethbridge
Jan 05 CW: U.B.C. at Calgary

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
I'd be interested in hearing from AUS fans as to whether or not Rye High would make the playoffs in the AUS.

Yes. They are better than Moncton and Dalhousie. Possible PEI. Don't think they would crack the top four though.

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
Yes. They are better than Moncton and Dalhousie. Possible PEI. Don't think they would crack the top four though.
I suppose that prompts a second question: Where does PEI fit? It appears that the gap between #4 and #5 in the AUS is greater than usual.

FreddyFoyle

Mar 12, 2008
Fredericton, NB
I suppose that prompts a second question: Where does PEI fit? It appears that the gap between #4 and #5 in the AUS is greater than usual.

I believe Ryerson would/could be a top-4 team in the AUS. I agree with their coach that they played better in the 2nd game - which also exposed how dependent their run and gun play is on strong goaltending.

I also believe the gap has widened between the top-4 and the rest of the AUS this season. UPEI is not getting their normal game-stealing goaltending this year. Neither is Dal. Moncton is in rebuild mode, and didn't find replacements for the Saulnier twins.

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
Ryerson
Would not crack the top 4!!
They do play an up tempo style, but the other top 3 programs (AUS) are built to upset that flow of game plan, I think a steady diet of that play would work against the Rams.
This in relation to the problems that Alberta has faced at the University cup recently against X and Acadia. si (Acadia 2017, X 2016 and Nationals in Freddy 2011-12).
I wouldn't dispute them being a step above Moncton and Dal.
Could they upset a traditional powerhouse at the U-Cup? it could happen, but the going gets tough that time of year.
That program is heading in the right direction and maybe we see them in March? like York did last year, after the Pete Kelly Cup.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->