2017-18 Lehigh Valley Phantoms Roster Situation

Alex91

Sep 12, 2014
Lindblom would be on my opening night roster, but the flexibility of his contract might work against him. Sending him to the AHL to start, gives the Flyers some time to evaluate bubble guys like Laughton, Leier, Cousins, etc.

If Leier plays a NHL game in the first 1/4 of this year, then something went awfully wrong. Leier got his shot this year and it was clear that he isn't skilled or strong enough

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
Well he's as NHL ready as any of them, arguably more ready, and since we're assuming they have a very good chance to make the Flyers next year (and for each defensemen they're trying to take one of an even smaller number of available of spots) there's no reason to think he isn't on the same level, if not ahead. Plus, wingers are under less pressure than a defensemen.

It's not like he merely treading water in the SHL last year... he was fantastic and I don't see what more you expect him to prove in the AHL that he didn't in the SHL. What specifically do you expect to see improve before you say he's ready? I don't see anything so I see no reason for him to be outside the NHL next year. That's why I'm so sure he'll be on the roster.

Weal won playoff MVP in Ahl, the league Hexy himself said is better than Shl and got **** on in favor of VDV. How do you explain that?

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Weal won playoff MVP in Ahl, the league Hexy himself said is better than Shl and got **** on in favor of VDV. How do you explain that?

Pre-unsustainable-stretch Weal was just an AHL player, so it was "AHL tiny scorer" vs "AHL grinder", which I guess is what they preferred for the 4th line.

Don't really see what this has to do with Lindblom's situation though. I thought you were asking me why I was so sure he was ready to play in the NHL, not if I'm 100% sure our coach/GM will make the right roster moves. I'm 95% sure of the former, like 85% sure of the later (when it comes to the bigger name prospects like Lindblom, amongst our prospect pool). If you compare pre-2016-2017 Weal vs pre-2017-2018 Lindblom, I'm sure Lindblom is FAR higher thought of by the management and will have a far far far far far greater shot to make the team. And, despite Weals AHL accomplishments, his body type and skill type definitely worked against him when it comes to making the team. Guys like that commonly dominate lesser leagues and then can't hack it in the NHL.

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
:handclap:
Pre-unsustainable-stretch Weal was just an AHL player, so it was "AHL tiny scorer" vs "AHL grinder", which I guess is what they preferred for the 4th line.

Don't really see what this has to do with Lindblom's situation though. I thought you were asking me why I was so sure he was ready to play in the NHL, not if I'm 100% sure our coach/GM will make the right roster moves. I'm 95% sure of the former, like 85% sure of the later (when it comes to the bigger name prospects like Lindblom, amongst our prospect pool). If you compare pre-2016-2017 Weal vs pre-2017-2018 Lindblom, I'm sure Lindblom is FAR higher thought of by the management and will have a far far far far far greater shot to make the team. And, despite Weals AHL accomplishments, his body type and skill type definitely worked against him when it comes to making the team. Guys like that commonly dominate lesser leagues and then can't hack it in the NHL.
Guentzel has tiny sample size too you know and so did sheary before that.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
:handclap:
Guentzel has tiny sample size too you know and so did sheary before that.

Regardless of whether or not you think it was sustainable/unsustainable/100% luck or whatever, I'm talking about BEFORE he did all that.

Him not being on the team to start last year is because he's a very different player and in a very different situation than Lindblom will be in a few months.

(Also, Weal won't be carried by Crosby so that makes his unsustainable play even more unsustainable than the Pens guys. Those other two can remain unsustainable, more sustainably... if that makes any sense...) ;)

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
Regardless of whether or not you think it was sustainable/unsustainable/100% luck or whatever, I'm talking about BEFORE he did all that.

Him not being on the team to start last year is because he's a very different player and in a very different situation than Lindblom will be in a few months.

(Also, Weal won't be carried by Crosby so that makes his unsustainable play even more unsustainable. Those other two can remain unsustainable, more sustainably... if that makes any sense...) ;)

Thats a fair point, I just hope their unsustainable run is over. Would hate them see get back to back cups.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Weal didn't really standout in the games he did get in for 2015-2016 & then preseason/camp this year if we're being fair. Not a big sample size but when you're a guy in his situation at that time you're not going to get a lot rope.

Last edited:

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
If Leier plays a NHL game in the first 1/4 of this year, then something went awfully wrong. Leier got his shot this year and it was clear that he isn't skilled or strong enough

You may think that and I may think that but Leier has to clear waivers this year and Hextall may want to make sure what he has 1st before he makes a move.

Alex91

Sep 12, 2014
You may think that and I may think that but Leier has to clear waivers this year and Hextall may want to make sure what he has 1st before he makes a move.

Because of how well we've drafted, Hexy has to start making moves with some of the older and lower end guys. Dove is an example, and Leier should be next. Only way Leier gets a roster spot is at the expense of better prospects in Laughton, Weal, Lindblom, and Nolan/Nico. Not to mention Vecchione whose ability to will draws prob makes his likelihood of being a NHLer greater then Leiers at this point.

Leier is a great top 6 AHL guy, and isn't someone we should give up on, but we shouldn't be scared to put him on waivers this October. If a team is willing to give him a roster spot, then good for them. If anything, Hexy should be more worried about losing Weal and Cousins who have proven to have more NHL skill then Leier.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Because of how well we've drafted, Hexy has to start making moves with some of the older and lower end guys. Dove is an example, and Leier should be next. Only way Leier gets a roster spot is at the expense of better prospects in Laughton, Weal, Lindblom, and Nolan/Nico. Not to mention Vecchione whose ability to will draws prob makes his likelihood of being a NHLer greater then Leiers at this point.

Leier is a great top 6 AHL guy, and isn't someone we should give up on, but we shouldn't be scared to put him on waivers this October. If a team is willing to give him a roster spot, then good for them. If anything, Hexy should be more worried about losing Weal and Cousins who have proven to have more NHL skill then Leier.

Again Lindblom would be on my roster and I wouldn't lose sleep over losing Leier, but I don't think Hextall thinks like me. As a reminder, this team did dress PEB and Chris Vandevelde for 3 full seasons and decided to extend one of those guys for 2 more seasons. He's always spoken highly of Leier, and beyond just GM-speak. And he's just one of the guys I mentioned. They still have a lot of other bodies up front. All I'm saying is Lindblom is one of the few guys competing for a roster spot that has contract that allows the team some flexibility if they need it.

Flyerfan13

Sponsor
Nov 17, 2016
Again Lindblom would be on my roster and I wouldn't lose sleep over losing Leier, but I don't think Hextall thinks like me. As a reminder, this team did dress PEB and Chris Vandevelde for 3 full seasons and decided to extend one of those guys for 2 more seasons. He's always spoken highly of Leier, and beyond just GM-speak. And he's just one of the guys I mentioned. They still have a lot of other bodies up front. All I'm saying is Lindblom is one of the few guys competing for a roster spot that has contract that allows the team some flexibility if they need it.

That is something to think about I am just hoping lindblom agrees to stay in north America and not want to go back over and play in the shl if they decide not to keep him on the NHL roster. Not sure how all that works now that he signed his elc.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Not making light of Lindblom's great season in the SHL or the Swedish pro league in general, but it's a completely different game over there than it is in North America. While his game might be better suited for the smaller rink, it's a HUGE adjustment from playing on the international rink to the North American rink and one I think gets overlooked by fans.

It didn't seem that huge when he came came over to the AHL as a 19 year old and was instantly one of the Phantoms best players.

Raffl, Bellemare and Lyubimov played a total of two AHL games between them and they aren't nearly as talented as Lindblom.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad