Confirmed Signing with Link: 2017-18 Free Agency Thread

Tao Jersey Jones

Sep 28, 2003
Plainfield, NJ
Dorsett retires from Canucks

Dorsett, 30, had cervical spine fusion surgery on Dec. 5, 2016, after playing in 14 games. He was medically cleared to play this season and had nine points (seven goals, two assists) in 20 games. However, the latest evaluation of his neck revealed a cervical disk herniation adjacent to and separate from his previous fusion, according to Dr. Robert Watkins.

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario

Agent said he retired, but apparently the Canucks have said that "he’d simply asked for his release."
http://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks/alex-burmistrov-is-retiring-agent said:
“Alex made the decision to be released from his contract today in order to pursue a playing opportunity outside of the NHL,” Canucks general manager Jim Benning said in an emailed statement.

Just find it interesting, as there is nothing as simple as "being released".
Burmistrov must be put on unconditional waivers to be released - which we haven't seen happen.

Furthermore, he is still listed as a Canuck in the NHL database.

Wonder if its just a matter of being put on waivers after the roster freeze - or if they've decided to loan Burmistrov in the off chance that he comes back/or another team wants to acquire his rights and try to entice him to return.

Or if he just simple retired from the NHL and the message got mixed up between Benning and Johnston, the article writer above

Tao Jersey Jones

Sep 28, 2003
Plainfield, NJ
Agent said he retired, but apparently the Canucks have said that "he’d simply asked for his release."

Just find it interesting, as there is nothing as simple as "being released".
Burmistrov must be put on unconditional waivers to be released - which we haven't seen happen.

Furthermore, he is still listed as a Canuck in the NHL database.

Wonder if its just a matter of being put on waivers after the roster freeze - or if they've decided to loan Burmistrov in the off chance that he comes back/or another team wants to acquire his rights and try to entice him to return.

Or if he just simple retired from the NHL and the message got mixed up between Benning and Johnston, the article writer above

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
So you think he was put on waivers and it just wasn't reported?

It could be. Even the insiders take breaks during the holidays :laugh:

I know there are exceptions to roster freezes. Players can be called up if it doesn't require waivers, as well as sent down. There are emergency recalls allowed. Teams can waive players if it's necessary to get under the cap. I'm sure there are details in there about contract termination as well. If a player chooses to retire, do they need to be waived?

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
If a player chooses to retire, do they need to be waived?
No, which is what I was I initially was curious if anyone had more info.

To retire, no waivers are necessary; to be released from contract, waivers are.
Apparently (according to Patrick Johnston), Benning said Burmi was released, not retiring from the NHL, yet we saw no waivers...

Idk!
Complicating things even further, he has not been removed from the Canucks website, and is still in the NHL database as a Canuck. Just seems a little weird

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
No, which is what I was I initially was curious if anyone had more info.

To retire, no waivers are necessary; to be released from contract, waivers are.
Apparently (according to Patrick Johnston), Benning said Burmi was released, not retiring from the NHL, yet we saw no waivers...

Idk!
Complicating things even further, he has not been removed from the Canucks website, and is still in the NHL database as a Canuck.

Might just take time. It's also the holiday season, people have been off work. That might not be the #1 priority for the NHL to deal with right now. From what I heard though, he retired from the NHL.

Reactions: uncleben85

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->