U17: 2016 World U-17 Hockey Challenge (Oct 27 - Nov 5)

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
Swedish goalie looks shaky. Unsure if he made the save or not, looking behind him when he made the save. I wonder if the coach makes a goalie change if Canada scores one more.

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
Refs have been pretty bad in the 1st period. Some similar calls but one gets called and the other one doesn't. Hopefully changes in the 2nd. Good 5 on 3 kill by the Canadians, at least 5-6 shots blocked by the Canadians and you could see the pain by the way they reacted. Could be a good momentum change.

I like the big Swedish forwards, Olofsson, Jakobsson and Westfallt. Canadians have a hard time containing them and they can skate pretty well too. Didn't really notice Wernblom a ton, he looks to be a feisty hockey player though.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
Fagemo looked really promising last year before he got injured and missed a lot of time. Hasn't put up fantastic numbers this year but in this tournament he looks really good.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
Wernblom has got away with some stupid plays earlier this game, takes a bad penalty now...

thething

Jul 28, 2014
Good first semi between Sweden and White.

Really impressed by the skating ability of the team Sweden players.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Theoretically we should beat Canadians, because they don't have an answer to Denisenko - Khovanov - Svechnikov line, and we have a good defense and goalies. But practically everything is possible.

JA

An earlier report in this thread stated that Svechnikov is out of the lineup.

Is he playing tonight?

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Dudas looked really good and Chisholm as well,many had solid games but no player there who stands above the rest that I can see from the Canadian side. Svechnikov line was dangerous most of the night. Drobin and Galenyuk were also good. Ty Smith plays differently than I would have expected, I thought he would be all offense.

Eugene85

Jan 25, 2010
Russia
Correct me if I'm wrong. Svechnikov has played one preliminary game vs. Canada White in which he had 2+2 and two tournament games with 4+1. 3 points per game. Not bad. Especially considering he was sick and missed a couple of games.

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
Black beats Russia. Really impressive game from both sides, Russian defence played well and they had some big forwards. Canada had great goaltending from Ingham and a lot of speedy, skilled forwards. This tournament is really close in competition like previous had mentioned, nobody has dominated or went 3-0 in the group stage, Black lost to White, but Black is in the GMG, USA beat White, etc. A lot of close matches and parity in this tournament.

One thing I noticed was Ty Smith vs Andrei Svechnikov as a match-up. I only saw the last half of the game, but I thought Ty Smith did a good job on Svechnikov. I don't know if he was responsible for Svechnikov's 2 goals, but Smith did a good job in the 3rd and overtime to just keep Svechnikov on the outside. He used his skating and stick to keep Svechnikov outside and Svechikov was forced to use his strength to get around Smith, but Smith was strong enough to not let Svechnikov push him back.

Ty Smith will be a really good player and I think despite his small stature he can be a top 5 pick in 2018. He plays very similarly to Duncan Keith, his game starts and ends with his skating, he uses it for position, to move the puck, to score goals and to play steady defence.

wishywashy19

Dec 14, 2011
Dudas looked really good and Chisholm as well,many had solid games but no player there who stands above the rest that I can see from the Canadian side. Svechnikov line was dangerous most of the night. Drobin and Galenyuk were also good. Ty Smith plays differently than I would have expected, I thought he would be all offense.

Yes one line Russian team but this is not your typical team.
They play physical and defend but rely on one player too much.
Canada black are a very good team and they were willing to get the dirty areas
If we can keep Craig Button from talking about Nolan Foote so much tonight that would be a positive
Good job guys
Too bad Soo fans like Bingo more than hockey
To Hockey Canada- bring it back east where we appreciate good hockey

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad