TSN: 2016 World Junior Championship Part 2: Last Prospect Standing to be bronzed

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com
Let's wait to see how Englund will do when he comes to NA if he ever does come over, my guess is he is a few yrs away still. The AHL will be a step up from the WJC & IMO a step higher than the SEL & the NHL is another step higher still. Let's not forget that Cowen was also considered to be a top 4 defenceman & at times has looked okay but in the NHL they have to play at the highest pace on every shift in every game & only the best seem to be able to do it consistently.

The thing about Cowen is his puck handling never got even close to NHL calibre. A lot of people call it hockey sense with him, and it may well be, but I know I'd make a lot of stupid decisions with the puck if I never actually handled it properly under pressure.

England appears to skate well, has good size and handles the puck well. If anything can be concluded, it's that he's obviously a legitimate prospect. And probably had every right to go where he did in the draft.

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa
Russia is one of those teams I hate seeing win. Don't really know why.

Me too. I like lots of Russian players. Maybe these are the reasons:

- I spent too many years watching evil CCCP hockey teams
- the 1987 Russia-Canada WJC brouhaha
- WHC Russian team leaving the ice before Canada's anthem
- Buchnevich taunting the American bench in the 2014 WJC

The first one is a fun reason. I loved the Canadian-Red Army rivalry. I imagine if I were Russian, I'd spit on the ground if I ever had to say Bobby Clarke's name.

The others, well, maybe I'm hanging on to stereotypes of classless Russian players.

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa
Just look at some of this puck movement. It's like Karlsson was inspired by watching the old Soviet stars. Granted, there's not much in the way of defense or goal tending to stop them, but still....

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I don't know whether watching so much Karlsson has completely skewed the views on defensemen for Sens fans or people have a hard time conceptualizing what player development is. Maybe the looming shadow of Cowen makes people paranoid?

Yes. That's why I have said for a while it's Alfredsson/Karlsson or bust for many Sens fans... They have pretty high standards/expectations for every player...

I really don't like using this, as it certainly applies to me as well, but you can tell when posters have a thorough understanding, and likely good background in the sport, whether playing/coaching etc when reading through prospect threads.

See previous quote

The thing with pure defensive defensemen is, you're not really supposed to notice them (highlight hits aside). And with this type of player, the slightest mistake usually ends up in a goal against.

And once a "microscope" is put on that type of player, they're done. Think Phillips and Cowen. The only chance for a defensive Dman in that situation is a change of scenery, a fresh new start

I think Englund skates much much better then Cowen. At least he's more agile

Injuries kinda ruined Cowen's mobility...

Last edited by a moderator:

Blotto71

I was wrong...the worst is NOT behind us.
May 12, 2013
Over There
Just look at some of this puck movement. It's like Karlsson was inspired by watching the old Soviet stars. Granted, there's not much in the way of defense or goal tending to stop them, but still....

Nice video. Like many of these old Russian stars, Karlsson's game is built around his skating and puck handling. He is able to change speeds so seemlessly - something of a lost art.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
it's a shame those old Soviet teams were so vilified (mostly because of the cold war). If Canadian hockey had really looked at that system with a non-biased eye and implemented a lot of those teachings from the late 70s onward....the NHL would look so different today. Instead, we still have a significant group of old farts and their "rock 'em, sock 'em" goon era views still influencing the game.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
it's a shame those old Soviet teams were so vilified (mostly because of the cold war). If Canadian hockey had really looked at that system with a non-biased eye and implemented a lot of those teachings from the late 70s onward....the NHL would look so different today. Instead, we still have a significant group of old farts and their "rock 'em, sock 'em" goon era views still influencing the game.

If you think this Soviet teams from the 70's were all flash and dash with no grit, you are mistaken.

There's a weird myth (propogated by propaganda, plus the DonCherry's of the hockey world) that the Soviets players of that era didn't engage in the grittier aspects of the game, which is completely false. Sure, there wern't any pure goons in Soviet hockey like there (unfortunatley) was in the NHL, but they were as every bit as chippy and gritty as most North American players of their day.

In fact, I would even go so far as to say that it was only around the time of the fall of communism where Russian hockey got it's reputation for a lack of sandpaper. Go watch the '72 series, and a lot of the Canada Cups that followed: those Soviet teams were tough as nails. Hell, even Kharlamov, the Russian Gretzky, was know to pay the price to make plays.

Last edited:

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Great job Wilson, you willfully chose to go into an international semifinal game completely ignorant of the other teams roster and strategies. Well done!

in case anyone missed it, here's what Aurelius is referring to.

Absolutely embarrassing. Ron Wilson should never coach another important hockey game in his life.

[Tweet]684037764778737664[/MEDIA]

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
4-2 USA, very good game so far!

Tune in if you have the chance.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
USA waxing Sweden for the Bronze ... Matthews and White very quiet.

Wilson's comments are very 1972 esque

Aurilius

Nov 12, 2015
Hostage in Canada's Basement
Sweden doesn't give a **** about the participation award medal. Shoulda stayed in bed and skipped this one.

Wilson is a moron and should never coach this team again. Pat yourself on the back all you want coach, had you done your job for yesterdays game that medal might have been meaningful.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
in case anyone missed it, here's what Aurelius is referring to.

Absolutely embarrassing. Ron Wilson should never coach another important hockey game in his life.

[Tweet]684037764778737664[/MEDIA]

Guys he was trolling Mark Masters for asking stupid questions. Look at the look he gives him at the end of the interview.

USA was a hell of alot more organized than Canada. He also enforced discipline, look at where Alex Debrincat started the tournament and look where he ended (in the semi finals).

They were probably the best team in this tournament just ran into a hot goalie in the semi's.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
That low glass is a real *****.

Russia gets a PP from the delay of game, their first shot of the game = goal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad