TSN: 2016 World Junior Championship Part 2: Last Prospect Standing to be bronzed

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
Part 1 here.

White.jpg

vs

andreas_englund_djurgarden.jpg

WINNER TAKES BRONZE!

Last edited by a moderator:

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
Maybe when the entire hockey community it stating a player looks good and has NHL tools we should take that in to account a bit?

Englund has been very good by all accounts...he isn't a saviour or a star but given our recent issues on D if he can be a reliable 3rd pairing guy who is strong on the PK I would be just fine with that.

Still very young too...lots of room to grow in to his game.

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
Don't mind the player but as a 2nd rounder in a draft where we didn't have a first. I would have liked to draft someone with a higher ceiling and risk than a safe 3rd pairing dman. We have enough of those. Our problem is that we don't have enough top 4 dman.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Maybe when the entire hockey community it stating a player looks good and has NHL tools we should take that in to account a bit?

Englund has been very good by all accounts...he isn't a saviour or a star but given our recent issues on D if he can be a reliable 3rd pairing guy who is strong on the PK I would be just fine with that.

Still very young too...lots of room to grow in to his game.

I'm also fine with a solid third pairing guy. But our scouts were going ballistic over this kid and wanted us to trade up to get him.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
I think this tournament has shown just how good Englund is at this stage in his development for the style of player that he is.

He'll never be among the scoring leaders on our blueline, but it's easy to dismiss him when he's a 19 year old getting top-4 minutes in a pro league comparing him to guys 10 years his senior.

He's not a slam dunk prospect or anythjng, but too many guys around these parts were giving up on him far too early, based on questionable interpretation of his game.

Jan 19, 2006
Calgary
I think a lot of the ragging on Englund is because we've been spoiled by Karlsson's WJC performances.

It's sorta skewed our expectations for everyone else.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Did people actually watch Englund play? To me, he definitely projects as a top 4 defender.

I don't know whether watching so much Karlsson has completely skewed the views on defensemen for Sens fans or people have a hard time conceptualizing what player development is. Maybe the looming shadow of Cowen makes people paranoid?

Englund is surely a project and a throwback to the typical type of defender that was more common 10 years ago, but those guys still have a role to play in the NHL. When they drafted Englund he was compared to Volchenkov. He definitely looks like that to me. He's Fearless and is going to play opposing team's top forwards hard and with a nasty side.

Its far less sexy than a smooth skating PMD, but this guy is as good of a shut down D prospect as you'll find in hockey. The ability to clear one's crease is a very underrated ability.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
Don't mind the player but as a 2nd rounder in a draft where we didn't have a first. I would have liked to draft someone with a higher ceiling and risk than a safe 3rd pairing dman. We have enough of those. Our problem is that we don't have enough top 4 dman.

I disagree as I don't believe we do have many of them. He is big and is a + skater with average puck skills.

If he can come in and help shut down the cycle against us while bringing an edge and mobility I think he would be exactly what we need.

He may also become a solid 2nd pairing guy...we don't know yet but many pro personnel seem to think he has a bright future.

Just getting NHL players out of a draft is an accomplishment so a mid 2nd round pick that could be a contributor is net gain to me.

What was the crazy Stat in last night's game? Freddy was the 7th player from the Sens '11 draft to play in the NHL? That is unheard of!

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I think this tournament has shown just how good Englund is at this stage in his development for the style of player that he is.

He'll never be among the scoring leaders on our blueline, but it's easy to dismiss him when he's a 19 year old getting top-4 minutes in a pro league comparing him to guys 10 years his senior.

He's not a slam dunk prospect or anythjng, but too many guys around these parts were giving up on him far too early, based on questionable interpretation of his game.

I really don't like using this, as it certainly applies to me as well, but you can tell when posters have a thorough understanding, and likely good background in the sport, whether playing/coaching etc when reading through prospect threads.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
That Russia - U.S. game was the equivalent of the old Iran - Iraq War - hard to know which side you want to see lose more. On balance, I'm good with seeing that goof Ron Wilson lose...

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
I'd be kinda wary of forming impression around England based on his performance against kids. Guys super athletic. Is main issue is going to be adjusting to speed and pace at the next level. Volchenkov was what management was hoping he becomes I believe. At least I think I remember quite about that.

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com
Did people actually watch Englund play? To me, he definitely projects as a top 4 defender.

I don't know whether watching so much Karlsson has completely skewed the views on defensemen for Sens fans or people have a hard time conceptualizing what player development is. Maybe the looming shadow of Cowen makes people paranoid?

Englund is surely a project and a throwback to the typical type of defender that was more common 10 years ago, but those guys still have a role to play in the NHL. When they drafted Englund he was compared to Volchenkov. He definitely looks like that to me. He's Fearless and is going to play opposing team's top forwards hard and with a nasty side.

Its far less sexy than a smooth skating PMD, but this guy is as good of a shut down D prospect as you'll find in hockey. The ability to clear one's crease is a very underrated ability.

Me too. Looks like a guy who could very well be a top 4 guy.

Skates well and seems to handle the puck quite well. These things likely won't define his game, but they do mean he probably gets to play in more situations against better players.

People see Dmen one of two ways around here: Either a PMD w/ franchise potential or a bigger non-PMD that's a destined 3rd pairing guy. Or if the big guy was drafted really high he could be the next Chara.

Back in Black

All Sports would be great if they were Hockey
Jan 30, 2012
In the Penalty Box
Really hoping the FINNS win it at Home! Won’t feel so bad about Canada losing to the host Team :)

Hard to believe it’s been 18 years since Canada lost in the QF's

Aurilius

Nov 12, 2015
Hostage in Canada's Basement
Great job Wilson, you willfully chose to go into an international semifinal game completely ignorant of the other teams roster and strategies. Well done!

And here I thought I'd only get to watch one coach **** up his teams chances today, lets get ready for another great game of Smith on the top line everybody!

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Let's wait to see how Englund will do when he comes to NA if he ever does come over, my guess is he is a few yrs away still. The AHL will be a step up from the WJC & IMO a step higher than the SEL & the NHL is another step higher still. Let's not forget that Cowen was also considered to be a top 4 defenceman & at times has looked okay but in the NHL they have to play at the highest pace on every shift in every game & only the best seem to be able to do it consistently.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
The thing with pure defensive defensemen is, you're not really supposed to notice them (highlight hits aside). And with this type of player, the slightest mistake usually ends up in a goal against.

Plus, the big ice really changes things. We really won't know where he projects until he's here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad