World Cup: 2016 World Cup — Team USA

Status
Not open for further replies.

AgentBrodeur

Jul 19, 2016
new jersey
where are all the "Quick is overrated" and "lol Schneider is 2x the goalie Quick is" posters?
there were so many of them around during the NHL awards

woooo. devils fan aside. Schneiders first chance, its in net when we beat Canada and hit them all over the place , even some questionable ones, and he gets the rematch? cut him a little slack. We all know Quick is the starter, but anything can happen to a goalie at anytime mentally or physically. the number 2 goalie could be Bishop or Schneider. Also, Quick could find himself out or on the bench as easily as he got the starting job. This is team USA, not team LA.

Little Psycho

I solemnly swear I'm up to no good
Feb 4, 2007
Non-Yah
Great read on Team USA GM

https://www.yahoo.com/news/dean-lombardi-strives-for-hockey-history-in-world-cup-164853217.html

.... Lombardi sometimes gives his Kings players some homework, and the topic involves blending history with the current state of hockey.

MUZZIN: “It was to do a little stuff on World War II I think, or we had to pick what kind of soldier you would be, what kind of gun you would use and how it is similar to your personality and what kind of player you are. There’s always little stuff, he’s talking about previous winners in any sport, stuff like that he’s always kind of relating to,” said Canada and Kings defenseman Jake Muzzin. “It was like, ‘you’re in the trenches with a shotgun, you’re like a grinder type guy,’ right, know what I mean – kind of similar to that as a long … a sniper is a guy that scores goals. Similar to that, so, it was just kind of finding what your role is a little bit more. He’s always doing different stuff like that so it’s always cool.”

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005

I was just reading that Herb Brooks made all 68 candidates for the 1980 Olympic team answer a 300-question psychological test and he used the answers to pick his team. That sounds just like something that Lombardi would do, so it makes me wonder if Lamoriello perhaps picked up pointers from Brooks and Lombardi picked them up from Lamoriello (his mentor).

Speaking of Lombardi and the previous discussion about Jack Johnson, I'm sure that a large part of why Jack Johnson is on the team is that Lombardi had him in LA (and even traded for him). I wouldn't say that it's favoritism, but he knows exactly what he'll get from Johnson (on the ice and in his heart) and he probably couldn't say that about alternative candidates. Also, Tortorella having some familiarity coaching him probably didn't hurt.

Reminds me of when he Lombardi read War and Peace just to understand Alexander Frolov. He should've read Crime and Punishment instead....

Crime and Punishment would've helped to understand Voynov.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
I was just reading that Herb Brooks made all 68 candidates for the 1980 Olympic team answer a 300-question psychological test and he used the answers to pick his team. That sounds just like something that Lombardi would do, so it makes me wonder if Lamoriello perhaps picked up pointers from Brooks and Lombardi picked them up from Lamoriello (his mentor).

Speaking of Lombardi and the previous discussion about Jack Johnson, I'm sure that a large part of why Jack Johnson is on the team is that Lombardi had him in LA (and even traded for him). I wouldn't say that it's favoritism, but he knows exactly what he'll get from Johnson (on the ice and in his heart) and he probably couldn't say that about alternative candidates. Also, Tortorella having some familiarity coaching him probably didn't hurt.

Crime and Punishment would've helped to understand Voynov.

Except he was left off the Olympic team in favor of 2 of Byslma guys. I know he pushed hard for him as he did for Yandle, while others did not.The Sochi team was pretty soft compared to this World Cup team.

JTD

Apr 7, 2016
USA
No Byfuglien or Palmieri today. I wish I was surprised but Torts has his guys and will play them no matter what

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I can't believe i'm saying this, but I think i'm going to cheer against Team USA today. Something has to change within the brain-trust. This is just ****ing ridiculous at this point.

Palmieri get scratched while that worthless sack of **** Abdelkader stays in the lineup so he can be what, a post-whistle scrum all-star?

Byfuglien scratched?!

**** these guys man.

It's getting close to the point where you could build a better Team USA squad out of the players NOT playing in todays game for them.

Phil Kessel
Bobby Ryan
Kyle Okposo
Tyler Johnson
Kyle Palmieri
Jason Pominville

Dustin Byfuglien
Justin Faulk
Kevin Shattenkirk
Keith Yandle
Torey Krug
Alex Goligoski

Cory Schneider

GOTTA HAVE THEM GRINDERS THOUGH!!

Last edited:

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
I can't believe i'm saying this, but I think i'm going to cheer against Team USA today. Something has to change within the brain-trust. This is just ****ing ridiculous at this point.

Palmieri get scratched while that worthless sack of **** Abdelkader stays in the lineup so he can be what, a post-whistle scrum all-star?

Byfuglien scratched?!

**** these guys man.

It's getting close to the point where you could build a better Team USA squad out of the players NOT playing in todays game for them.

Phil Kessel
Bobby Ryan
Kyle Okposo
Tyler Johnson
Kyle Palmieri
Jason Pominville

Dustin Byfuglien
Justin Faulk
Kevin Shattenkirk
Keith Yandle
Torey Krug
Alex Goligoski

Cory Schneider

GOTTA HAVE THEM GRINDERS THOUGH!!

is it just me or is that D arguably as good as the one team USA will actually ice today?

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
They're playing like a Torts and Lombardi team: big, dumb, and slow.

Sure hope this tournament is the end of the old boys club that is USAH. Johansson, Burke, Lomardi, Torts, and company need to go.

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen

Sure hope this tournament is the end of the old boys club that is USAH. Johansson, Burke, Lomardi, Torts, and company need to go.

I wonder if this continues, and they bomb out, how the NHL processes the whole Team North America experiment.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
I wonder if this continues, and they bomb out, how the NHL processes the whole Team North America experiment.

I would imagine USA Hockey would fight that concept going forward if necessary, but it won't matter if the old buffoons are still running Team USA.

If you could let Torts, Lombardi, and company pluck an American from Team NA right now they'd probably choose J.T. Miller.

hi

Sell sell sell
May 23, 2008

Burke + Lombardi + Torts = 4 Stanley Cup Rings

They obviously know what they are doing

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Burke + Lombardi + Torts = 4 Stanley Cup Rings

They obviously know what they are doing

International tournaments are different than an NHL season or playoffs.

You can wear teams down in a seven game series and take advantage of your size and physicality. The grinding and grit and hits wear teams down over time. You can't do that in a tournament when you may only see a team once.

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
I would imagine USA Hockey would fight that concept going forward if necessary, but it won't matter if the old buffoons are still running Team USA.

If you could let Torts, Lombardi, and company pluck an American from Team NA right now they'd probably choose J.T. Miller.

:laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad