World Cup: 2016 World Cup — Team USA

Status
Not open for further replies.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Figured we start talking about this especially with the stupid u23 team that will take talent away from us...

Seth Jones
Alex Galchenyuk
Jacob Trouba
John Gaudreau
Brandon Saad
Jack Eichel
John Gibson

All legit names that will not be at our disposal for this tournament...a few of these names would have made our squad no doubt.

Canuckistani

Mar 15, 2014
Toronto
And that pathetic rat Bettman had the gall to stand up and claim that this travesty of a tournament will be "best on best," while announcing that two teams (USA, Canada) are to be sabotaged by the U23 and two others (Slovakia, Switzerland) won't even be there.

This isn't even an international tournament, never mind the "best".

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Great way to start it off... by whining about what can't be on the team. How about what can? These are the options (not necessarily who I think will make the team).. plenty of names I'm sure I'm forgetting.

Left Wing
Zach Parise
Max Pacioretty
James Van Reimsdyk
Nick Foligno
Chris Kreider
Justin Abdelkader

Center
Joe Pavelski
Ryan Kesler
Derek Stepan
Tyler Johnson
David Backes
Brock Nelson
Nick Bjugstad

Right Wing
Patrick Kane
Phil Kessel
Kyle Okposo
Bobby Ryan
Jason Pominville
Blake Wheeler
TJ Oshie

Defense
Kevin Shattenkirk
Dustin Byfuglien
Erik Johnson
Ryan Suter
Cam Fowler
Ryan McDonagh
Keith Yandle
Justin Faulk
Andy Greene

Goalie
Ben Bishop
Jonathan Quick
Jimmy Howard
Cory Schneider
Craig Anderson

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
I think this team will be similar to Sochi. My guess is Orpik out for Byfuglien and Miller out for someone like Gibson.

JETZZZ

Oct 27, 2010
Winnipeg Manitoba
And that pathetic rat Bettman had the gall to stand up and claim that this travesty of a tournament will be "best on best," while announcing that two teams (USA, Canada) are to be sabotaged by the U23 and two others (Slovakia, Switzerland) won't even be there.

This isn't even an international tournament, never mind the "best".

Correct me if I am mistaken, but wouldn't Finland and Russia's teams also be sabotaged because this world cup is for NHL players only?

Canuckistani

Mar 15, 2014
Toronto
Correct me if I am mistaken, but wouldn't Finland and Russia's teams also be sabotaged because this world cup is for NHL players only?

As I understand it, players can be picked from any league. They'll have to be since Finland only has 5 NHL defencemen.

Haven't yet heard whether Russia will allow KHLers to attend. Hopefully not.

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
Send the '96 team. It'll be the 20th anniversary of their victory. Fans will think it's "cool" to see how they do.

Pandaman11

Dec 3, 2009
Perhaps...

JVR - Pavelski - Kessel
Parise - Kesler - Kane
Pacioretty - Backes - Oshie
T.Johnson - Stepan - Wheeler
Okposo

Suter - Carlson
McDonagh - Shattenkirk
Fowler - Faulk

Quick
Schneider
Bishop

Not the best solution with Johnson at LW but Saad is not eligible because of those moronic rules

JayKing

Go Habs Go
Dec 30, 2011
Montreal
JvR- Pavelski - Kessel
Pacioretty- Stepan - Kane
Parise - Kesler - Oshie
Okposo- T. Johnson - Wheeler
Backes

Suter - Carlson
McDonagh - Shattenkirk
Fowler - E. Johnson
Faulk

Quick
Howard
Schneider

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I like the depth we actually have down the middle for once. A number of players could be in contention for a spot on this team.

Defense is our strength again as we have a number of quality dmen at our disposal.

Our wingers have gotten bigger and deeper as well as I do like what I have been seeing out of guys like Foligno and Zucker as well as the resurrection of Callahan.

In my opinion, these guys all have legit shots at making this team. Some mainly based off of prior USA representation and others who are projecting positively upwards in the beginning of their career.

Left Wing

Nick Foligno
Kyle Okposo
James VanRiemsdyk
Max Pacioretty
Zach Parise
Jason Zucker
Chris Kreider

Center

Tyler Johnson
Joe Pavelski
David Backes
Ryan Kesler
Colin Wilson
Derek Stepan
Brock Nelson
Paul Stastny
Nick Bonino
Brandon Dubinsky

Right Wing

Patrick Kane
Phil Kessel
Jason Pominville
Blake Wheeler
Bobby Ryan
Ryan Callahan
Kyle Palmieri
Dustin Brown
T.J. Oshie

Defense

Kevin Shattenkirk
John Carlson
Dustin Byfuglien
Keith Yandle
Ryan McDonagh
Justin Faulk
Ryan Suter
Cam Fowler
Torey Krug
Erik Johnson
Jack Johnson
Nick Leddy
Zach Bogosian
Paul Martin
Jeff Petry

Goaltending

Jimmy Howard
Jon Quick
Ryan Miller
Cory Schneider
Ben Bishop

I will have to think about who I would pick and make my team in a little bit, but overall the talent and depth is there and if a few more of these 24-26 year olds continue to raise their game it could get very interesting.

Last edited:

UltimateHKY

World Cup of Hockey – Projected Team USA Roster

The 2014 Winter Olympics was a disaster for Team USA (aside from players like Phil Kessel and T.J Oshie becoming household names), so this roster stays away from the more physical and aggressive players that the American squad had at the Olympics and trends towards a quicker and more skill-based team. That is why Callahan and Brown are off the team. Sure, they are good for leadership, grit and they can score on occasion, but they don’t bring much else to the table. Byfuglien and Okposo were huge snubs for the Olympic team and should help this team out immensely.

Article here: http://ultimatehockeynetwork.com/uhn-│-world-cup-of-hockey-projected-team-usa-roster/

www.UltimateHockeyNetwork.com
@joshwald @UltimateHKY

Let us know if you have any interest contributing for us at UHN. We're always looking for more writers passionate about hockey! [email protected]

GWNR

Dec 10, 2013
Ottawa, Ontario
The U23 team hurts the US way more than Canada. Ridiculous, I really wanted to see US with the best possible team (and that would include some of the U23 guys)

Johnsie19

Jun 29, 2010
Figured we start talking about this especially with the stupid u23 team that will take talent away from us...

Seth Jones
Alex Galchenyuk
Jacob Trouba
John Gaudreau
Brandon Saad
Jack Eichel
John Gibson

All legit names that will not be at our disposal for this tournament...a few of these names would have made our squad no doubt.

When I look at this list it certainly looks as though some of these guys would have made the full national team but when I look at the potential national team I really don't see any of these players having much of an impact. Not that they wouldn't make it maybe but they just aren't any better than who will make it. Ie if Canada brought Giroux, Staal, Seguin instead of Marleau in 2014. There just isn't a glaring hole that the U23 guys fill on that team.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
When I look at this list it certainly looks as though some of these guys would have made the full national team but when I look at the potential national team I really don't see any of these players having much of an impact. Not that they wouldn't make it maybe but they just aren't any better than who will make it. Ie if Canada brought Giroux, Staal, Seguin instead of Marleau in 2014. There just isn't a glaring hole that the U23 guys fill on that team.

I would say Saad would be a lock right now.

I also think by 2016 Trouba would be as well.

Galchenyuk is starting to put it together and likely will be a star in 2 years.

With these young guys it is hard to determine how they will be in over a year of hockey, but I am certain that at a minimum Trouba, Saad, and Galchenyuk would have made our team with Gaudreau right there as well.

the US will be losing a lot of talent no doubt to this young stars team.

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
I think we can manage. Saad would just be a role player who can be relatively easily replaced. Don't get me wrong I like the guy, but it's not like losing Kane or Kessel.

Galchenyuk hasn't yet played well enough to be on this future team. Hope springs eternal but for now he's not a major loss.

Trouba and Jones both have potential to make the team, but fortunately defense is our deepest position.

Fowler (24), Carlson (25), Suter (29), McDonaugh (27), Faulk (24), Krug (24), Dekeyser (26) and we should be alright.

Ditto with goaltending where even if Gibson rises up to be a star, we still have the depth to compensate.

It's a stupid rule but we should be okay.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I dont know,the way Galchenyuk has been playing, this kid is starting to look like the stud we thought he would be when drafted. second only to Patches in points and goals for Montreal...

I think by next year he will be at another level of play, and a kid who would definitely have a legit shot at making this team. He matched last years totals in 20 less games, I can't wait to see how well he keeps going next year and beyond.

Johnsie19

Jun 29, 2010
I would say Saad would be a lock right now.

I also think by 2016 Trouba would be as well.

Galchenyuk is starting to put it together and likely will be a star in 2 years.

With these young guys it is hard to determine how they will be in over a year of hockey, but I am certain that at a minimum Trouba, Saad, and Galchenyuk would have made our team with Gaudreau right there as well.

the US will be losing a lot of talent no doubt to this young stars team.

I really dont see Saad making it, maybe but there are numerous players of similar quality. The guy with the best prospect of making and having an effect is Trouba but when you start laying names out there like Suter, Shattenkirk, Carlson, Faulk, Fowler, Byfuglien, Yandle, etc Im not sure he'll be missed.

I really don't see this U23 team hurting Canada or USA. It does have more of a chance at hurting USA but I really doubt it will.

Johnsie19

Jun 29, 2010
I really dont see Saad making it, maybe but there are numerous players of similar quality. The guy with the best prospect of making and having an effect is Trouba but when you start laying names out there like Suter, Shattenkirk, Carlson, Faulk, Fowler, Byfuglien, Yandle, etc Im not sure he'll be missed.

I really don't see this U23 team hurting Canada or USA. It does have more of a chance at hurting USA but I really doubt it will.

And I forgot Mcdonaugh and Erik Johnson

Namba 17

May 9, 2011
Pacioretty - Tyler Johnson - Kane
JVR - Stepan - Kessel
Parise - Backes - T.J.Oshie
Foligno - Stasny - Pavelski
Galchenyuk

Suter - Carlson
McDonagh - Shattenkirk
Fowler - Erik Johnson
Byfuglien