2016 WHL Playoffs

Status
Not open for further replies.

kiable

Dec 15, 2014
Hard game to predict.. If Seattle comes out hard than i can see them maybe taking one but if Brandon comes out like they have every other time they can end the series in these playoffs it will only be close if Bow can hold Seattle in it which he has more than proven he can do. Brandons depth has seamingly worn Seattle down each game and this one being a back to back one has to think that Brandon will be a bit freasher. Seriously Barzel has to be bagged tired right now, they double shift him more than MJ double shifted Point and Hunt.

Hordichuk_24

Tonight's game is a moot point in my mind because regardless of what happens, no way Brandon is losing four straight. I wasn't a believer at first, I thought we would see a similar team to last season but this team truly wants it and they have learned from their past. Very impressive effort. They totally stepped it up to a different level in this final and they are going to be league championships. Not a matter of if, only when. Hopefully for Seattle they can at least win one at home.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Tonight's game is a moot point in my mind because regardless of what happens, no way Brandon is losing four straight. I wasn't a believer at first, I thought we would see a similar team to last season but this team truly wants it and they have learned from their past. Very impressive effort. They totally stepped it up to a different level in this final and they are going to be league championships. Not a matter of if, only when. Hopefully for Seattle they can at least win one at home.

haha but then again who would ever thought Seattle may potentially lose 4 in a row... that's unheard of for this team... Only happened to them once near the start of the season.

Tbirds just gotta take it one game at a time. Most likely they are done, but if they can win tonight and then again in game 5, they will have some major momentum going back to Brandon and anything can happen.

WHL will be well represented either way, but as I said before, ill be nervous for one of these teams facing those damn London Knights!!!

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
geeze about time Seattle breaks out with their offensive game... gonna be too little too late though

xBSGeorge

Jun 21, 2011
Great game by Seattle, they had no choice but to bring 100% effort tonight and they did just that. I think they pull out the win in game 5 too. Seattle was the best home team for a reason.

With the way the playoff format is (2-3-2) I just don't see Seattle winning two in Brandon. Im sticking with my prediction of Brandon in 6.

Fun side note, the two previous WHL championships for Brandon were both won on US soil. Be a neat story if they managed to do it in Game 5 to add to their unique championship history.

Hordichuk_24

haha but then again who would ever thought Seattle may potentially lose 4 in a row... that's unheard of for this team... Only happened to them once near the start of the season.

I hear you. It isn't impossible but it is quite improbable. Now that Seattle managed to win one, possibly gain momentum (especially if Hawryluk is suspended) that could help them win two. But then they have to win two in a row in Brandon. I don't see that happening. They dug themselves too big a hole to climb out of, IMO. I'd rather see them win but I don't see it being overly realistic now.

The Seattle team we saw in game 4 was the team I thought we would see from the start. Much more physical, aggressive in the neutral zone, not allowing Brandon to utilize their speed and keep most of the play in the offensive zone. Unfortunately for them it came 3 games too late.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
I hear you. It isn't impossible but it is quite improbable. Now that Seattle managed to win one, possibly gain momentum (especially if Hawryluk is suspended) that could help them win two. But then they have to win two in a row in Brandon. I don't see that happening. They dug themselves too big a hole to climb out of, IMO. I'd rather see them win but I don't see it being overly realistic now.

The Seattle team we saw in game 4 was the team I thought we would see from the start. Much more physical, aggressive in the neutral zone, not allowing Brandon to utilize their speed and keep most of the play in the offensive zone. Unfortunately for them it came 3 games too late.

agreed... its too bad they weren't playing this usual game of theirs in the first 3 games

xBSGeorge

Jun 21, 2011
You have to give Brandon some credit for that. They were not the second best record in the WHL for no reason. Seattle is a great team, but their usual strengths are not always going to work. If Brandon is on their game they are hard to stop. You can take away their superstars effectively and still have 9 other guys who can put the puck in the net.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
You have to give Brandon some credit for that. They were not the second best record in the WHL for no reason. Seattle is a great team, but their usual strengths are not always going to work. If Brandon is on their game they are hard to stop. You can take away their superstars effectively and still have 9 other guys who can put the puck in the net.

absolutely... seattle shut them down last game and finally played their usual game that got them this far, but the chances of them doing that for 3 more games is unlikely unfortunately. Its really too bad for Tbirds that they didn't get a couple fluky bounces in their favor in one of the first 3 games so it could be a 2-2 split right now. Would be an extremely exciting series if it was tied 2-2 right now

Hordichuk_24

When did I not give Brandon any credit? I thought I was very complimentary of their play so far. They far exceeded my expectations. I thought Seattle would present them with problems they hadn't faced in their conference and I wasn't confident in their ability to adapt to that. But for the most part they have been the far better team. It's still one of the closest 3-1 series you can have yet at the same time can be over tonight.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
If tbirds can win game 5, all of a sudden it becomes very interesting. It was extremely odd for Seattle to lose 3 straight, so why can't it be Brandons turn to strangely lose 3 straight and bring us to an exciting game 7!!

I'm dreaming I know haha... but this is the same tbirds team tjat went something like 28-1-1 in 30 games leading up to the series vs brandon

I would be a teeny bit nervous if I were brandon and don't close it out tonigjt.. especially if Seattle scores a bunch again like they did last game

P.S. .. how good is #8 Scott eansor been.. it's funny cause I've talked to a few people about this series and "that #8 on seattle" comes up WAY more than guys like Barzal, gropp, bear, Patrick , Provorov etc etc

I really hope he's back in seattle next year as an overager but I wouldn't doubt if he signs a free agent deal. He made the USA world junior team this past year and has been awesome this season

Last edited:

xBSGeorge

Jun 21, 2011
If tbirds can win game 5, all of a sudden it becomes very interesting. It was extremely odd for Seattle to lose 3 straight, so why can't it be Brandons turn to strangely lose 3 straight and bring us to an exciting game 7!!

I'm dreaming I know haha... but this is the same tbirds team tjat went something like 28-1-1 in 30 games leading up to the series vs brandon

I would be a teeny bit nervous if I were brandon and don't close it out tonigjt.. especially if Seattle scores a bunch again like they did last game

P.S. .. how good is #8 Scott eansor been.. it's funny cause I've talked to a few people about this series and "that #8 on seattle" comes up WAY more than guys like Barzal, gropp, bear, Patrick , Provorov etc etc

I really hope he's back in seattle next year as an overager but I wouldn't doubt if he signs a free agent deal. He made the USA world junior team this past year and has been awesome this season

It is an interesting thought, I have to think different though. If this was a 2-2-1-1-1 series rather then 2-3-2 I think a loss tonight would cause a little more uneasiness. There are not many people who felt Brandon was going to win 2 in Seattle. Lots of early predictions didnt see Brandon winning any in Seattle. If this was game 5 in Brandon and they lost and they now have to go to Seattle yeah, I would be with you, but I don't think there will be an uneasy feeling if Seattle wins this one. I for one expected it to go back to Brandon, I just had which game they would win in Seattle wrong.

xBSGeorge

Jun 21, 2011
When did I not give Brandon any credit? I thought I was very complimentary of their play so far. They far exceeded my expectations. I thought Seattle would present them with problems they hadn't faced in their conference and I wasn't confident in their ability to adapt to that. But for the most part they have been the far better team. It's still one of the closest 3-1 series you can have yet at the same time can be over tonight.

I was simply saying that its also due to Brandons play that Seattle has not been able to play their game, not just because Seattle somehow didn't bring their A games. It was not mentioned in either of the post above so I simple added to them.

Hordichuk_24

I was simply saying that its also due to Brandons play that Seattle has not been able to play their game, not just because Seattle somehow didn't bring their A games. It was not mentioned in either of the post above so I simple added to them.

It's a combination of both. I don't think Seattle made enough adjustments early on (specifically in the neutral zone) and it seemed to take them a long time to figure that out (why, I cannot understand as their coaching staff should have recognized that almost immediately). It's not like it's a hidden secret how you need to play in order to hang with a team like Brandon. And I believe Seattle has the roster to do so. Needless to say it's probably too little too late now. No suspension for Hawryluk which is a huge boost for Brandon (that was the one thing which could have given Seattle a big advantage tonight) it wouldn't surprise me if they end it tonight. To be selfish I'd rather see the series go on a little longer.

Deif

Sep 20, 2014
It's a combination of both. I don't think Seattle made enough adjustments early on (specifically in the neutral zone) and it seemed to take them a long time to figure that out (why, I cannot understand as their coaching staff should have recognized that almost immediately). It's not like it's a hidden secret how you need to play in order to hang with a team like Brandon. And I believe Seattle has the roster to do so. Needless to say it's probably too little too late now. No suspension for Hawryluk which is a huge boost for Brandon (that was the one thing which could have given Seattle a big advantage tonight) it wouldn't surprise me if they end it tonight. To be selfish I'd rather see the series go on a little longer.

7 games please.

dmortens

Jan 5, 2014
Kelowna
Wheat Kings are very deserving champions, they played a good series and showed great resolve tonight in game 5. Should be an excellent Memorial Cup with, IMO, the 3 best teams coming out of each league and Red Deer is no slouch as a host. Can't wait for next weekend! :popcorn:

Hordichuk_24

And Hawryluk with an empty netter for the hattrick and the WHL Championship.

Really has to sting for Seattle fans. Many would argue he shouldn't have been playing tonight. And they would have valid reasoning. You could argue this goes to game six if he were sitting out. I still think Brandon inevitably wins the series but you never know. Regardless, congrats to the Wheat Kings and their fans. I didn't believe in them and I was wrong. They were clearly a much hungrier and more experienced team than last season.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
good luck to Brandon in Memorial Cup.. last years finals loss was great experience for this year!!!

Hopefully Seattle is back in finals next year!.. Tbirds could be a real good team next year again if Barzal is back

n00bxQb

Jul 26, 2010
gotta Think if barzal's back then they're a Favorite. barzal, Bear, Kolesar as 19 Year olds is dangerous
I don't think Barzal makes the Islanders out of training camp, so I'd say that's a safe bet unless he takes off to Europe or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad