2016 WHL Playoffs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hordichuk_24

2-0. brandon Is getting very lucky. first There's campbell's shot in game 1 that Leads to kaspick's goal then bear's Shot hits coulter and goes in and Finally hawryluk scores from the corner Behind the goal line. could Very easily be 2-0 seattle. i'm Predicting seattle Takes 2/3 at home

There is a bit of luck but ultimately they are outplaying Seattle pretty badly. And I am not a big believer in Brandon like many others, as I thought Seattle would win this in 6. But Seattle is really in trouble now. It doesn't matter if one team is lucky at this point. One team is ahead 2-0 and in full control of this series and the other is in a huge hole. Seattle has blown the lead in both games and haven't really done much to outright deserve a win in either game. Bow has kept them in the games (which I expected) but they haven't really helped themselves a whole lot. I am not a fan of the way Konowalchuk is coaching so far. Not a lot of adjustments and the T-Birds are playing way too passive, IMO. Some of that is Brandon's speed but there are still ways to manage that. The one real gripe the T-Birds do have from tonight is the non goal by Kolesar which should have counted. This game doesn't go to OT if the officials don't wrongly blow the whistle when the puck was clearly loose. That's a tough break, as is losing both games in such a manner. That will be a lot to overcome for an inexperienced team.

xBSGeorge

Jun 21, 2011
Really feel like Brandon deserved to win this game. They didn't play well in period 1 of game 1 but have really been the better team since about the middle of the second period of that game.

That being said I do expect Seattle to win 2 out of 3 games at home before Brandon ends it in Game 6 back in Brandon as I predicted in the other thread.

In the second and third round series against Moose Jaw and Red Deer Brandon got destroyed in Game 3 and I wouldn't be surprised if it happened again.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
what an odd series so far.. lucky bounce goals everywhere for Wheaties. Could very easily be 2-0 for Seattle.

Seattle fans are gonna be crazy in Seattle now and its gonna be extremely loud. These are 3 HUGE games. Hopefully Seattle will get some fluky bounces back home now

xBSGeorge

Jun 21, 2011
Game 3 goes tonight, I wonder which Brandon team shows up. The one that needed a big win in Game 3 against Edmonton in round one and played extremely well. Or the team that was up 2-0 in the next two rounds and got dominated in every aspect of the game.

Seattle was the best home team this season (29-5-2) and Brandon was the best road team (23-10-3). Brandon needs 1 of these 3 games to take complete control. I think there best chance is tomorrow night in the second of back to back as their just a bit deeper and can run that 4th line a bit. We have seen it in every series so far for the wheat kings, the second of a back to back is always their strongest games.

I think Brandon wins Game 4 and ends it Game 6.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
It's funny with this series, I was excited to see Barzal vs Provorov but both really haven't done much at all

Barzals puck possession and patience obviously shows, but besides that, neither really have stood out

Edit - after I wrote that, barzal set up 2 goals and looks real good haha

Last edited:

SoldiersOfFilth

Hamildone with Neely
Dec 28, 2013
Near Olympia
What a joke Seattle is this series. Bow picked a great time to start being mediocre again. 3 straight games with a blown lead to lose in OT.

Seattle: Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory for 3 straight games.

xkj1985x

Jul 21, 2012
Seattle
Just got home from the game and WOOF! That line change was horrendous.

But just like Games 1 & 2, Brandon outplayed Seattle on every level in the back half of that third period and then during the whole overtime session. Seattle was very clearly out of gas at about the same point of each game.

Brandon is just the better team.

MikeRahl

Feb 20, 2010
It's funny with this series, I was excited to see Barzal vs Provorov but both really haven't done much at all

Barzals puck possession and patience obviously shows, but besides that, neither really have stood out

Edit - after I wrote that, barzal set up 2 goals and looks real good haha

I haven't really been paying a ton of attention but Barzal is -6 so far in the series, which is almost impressive seeing how Brandon has only scored 9 goals. Just bad luck on his part being out there or is Seattle overplaying him and causing issues?

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
I haven't really been paying a ton of attention but Barzal is -6 so far in the series, which is almost impressive seeing how Brandon has only scored 9 goals. Just bad luck on his part being out there or is Seattle overplaying him and causing issues?

Ya its a bizzare series as far as every game going to OT and also how it seems all the top guys haven't really been noticed. Barzal, Provorov, Gropp, Patrick combined only have 9 points in these 3 games and IMO haven't done much at all. Top players are being shut down by each team and strange goals are being scored. Its funny cause if I watched these games not knowing who anyone was, I would have no idea who each teams star players would be and would be shocked knowing there are some 1st and 2nd round NHL picks playing and also a future #1 overall player in 2017 NHL draft on the ice

Series has been all about depth and grinding and Brandon has been slightly better. Strange bounces happen to good teams and that's exactly whats happening. Could very easily be 3-0 for Seattle too if Seattle had better bounces

xBSGeorge

Jun 21, 2011
Ya its a bizzare series as far as every game going to OT and also how it seems all the top guys haven't really been noticed. Barzal, Provorov, Gropp, Patrick combined only have 9 points in these 3 games and IMO haven't done much at all. Top players are being shut down by each team and strange goals are being scored. Its funny cause if I watched these games not knowing who anyone was, I would have no idea who each teams star players would be and would be shocked knowing there are some 1st and 2nd round NHL picks playing and also a future #1 overall player in 2017 NHL draft on the ice

Series has been all about depth and grinding and Brandon has been slightly better. Strange bounces happen to good teams and that's exactly whats happening. Could very easily be 3-0 for Seattle too if Seattle had better bounces

I believe the lack of top player scoring can be attributed to the good defense and solid goaltending of both teams. I don't think its from not being noticed. Nolan Patrick for example scored in both of the first 2 games. Quenneville had 2 last night. Sure, one guy isn't lighting it up, but they are all doing what they have to do to win games.

Also, I am going to disagree that this series could very easily be 3-0 Seattle too. Yes it could be, but I disagree with the "Very Easily" part. The reasons why include the fact Brandon has outscored Seattle 7-1 in 5 on 5 play. There is not a single Wheat King in the minus of the +/- stat. You just can't expect to win 3 straight games with those kind of stats. Seattle also got heavily outplayed in the first over time game 10 - 0 in shots. A lucky bounce or not, you can't win if you can't get the puck on the net. Even in game 3 they only managed 1 shot and were exhausted after a heavily dominated 3rd period by Brandon.

Could have Seattle got bounces? Sure, anyone can. One might say their Game 1 short handed tieing goal was a nice bounce that lead to an easy goal. However, Brandon has been the better team over 60 minutes in all 3 games. They have definitely been the better team in all 3 overtimes too. 2 weird goals lead to victories, but the way they were going, all 3 could have ended like Game 3, a beauty snipe shot wide open at the hashmarks if the game kept going.

Game 4 should be interesting. This is the one I thought Brandon would win with their better depth after playing the night before. However now that Seattle is on their last life, I have to think they will bring everything they got early. If Brandon weathers the storm for the first half of the game we will see much of the same in this series as Brandon will take over in the 3rd. If not, we are playing Friday.

MikeRahl

Feb 20, 2010
I believe the lack of top player scoring can be attributed to the good defense and solid goaltending of both teams. I don't think its from not being noticed. Nolan Patrick for example scored in both of the first 2 games. Quenneville had 2 last night. Sure, one guy isn't lighting it up, but they are all doing what they have to do to win games.

Also, I am going to disagree that this series could very easily be 3-0 Seattle too. Yes it could be, but I disagree with the "Very Easily" part. The reasons why include the fact Brandon has outscored Seattle 7-1 in 5 on 5 play. There is not a single Wheat King in the minus of the +/- stat. You just can't expect to win 3 straight games with those kind of stats. Seattle also got heavily outplayed in the first over time game 10 - 0 in shots. A lucky bounce or not, you can't win if you can't get the puck on the net. Even in game 3 they only managed 1 shot and were exhausted after a heavily dominated 3rd period by Brandon.

Could have Seattle got bounces? Sure, anyone can. One might say their Game 1 short handed tieing goal was a nice bounce that lead to an easy goal. However, Brandon has been the better team over 60 minutes in all 3 games. They have definitely been the better team in all 3 overtimes too. 2 weird goals lead to victories, but the way they were going, all 3 could have ended like Game 3, a beauty snipe shot wide open at the hashmarks if the game kept going.

Game 4 should be interesting. This is the one I thought Brandon would win with their better depth after playing the night before. However now that Seattle is on their last life, I have to think they will bring everything they got early. If Brandon weathers the storm for the first half of the game we will see much of the same in this series as Brandon will take over in the 3rd. If not, we are playing Friday.

There are lots of interesting stats in this series.

If you were to tell something that Seattle was leading 2-1 going into every 3rd period, and their PP was operating at north of 25% while Brandon's was less than 10%, I'm sure they would probably put their money on Seattle being up 3-0.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012

If you were to tell something that Seattle was leading 2-1 going into every 3rd period, and their PP was operating at north of 25% while Brandon's was less than 10%, I'm sure they would probably put their money on Seattle being up 3-0.

exactly... could very well be 3-0 Seattle, but it isn't... Maybe this will be the learning curve for Seattle this year.... last season Brandon got swept in the WHL finals too and looks like they've used that experience for this season.

next year could very well be another Seattle VS Brandon finals. Both could be extremely good if certain guys come back from NHL camps

xBSGeorge

Jun 21, 2011

If you did you wouldn't be telling the truth. Considering two of the games were tied 1 - 1 going into the 3rd. (semantics of course lol as they were leading at one point in the 3rd in all the games)

However, not if you told them the entire story. Like how in the 3rd period they are being out shot by Brandon 40 - 26 and 17-3 in OT over those same 3 games. That along with all the stats I listed before like outscored 7-1 5 on 5 and not many would think its would be 3 - 0 Seattle. Especially when they didn't get a single shot on net in one of those overtimes.

Your example would be like me only telling someone Brandon scored first in 2 out of three games, had the better goalie stats in all 3 games plus outshot in all 3 games. If I ignored the power play people might bet Brandon won handily with no overtimes.

xBSGeorge

Jun 21, 2011
exactly... could very well be 3-0 Seattle, but it isn't... Maybe this will be the learning curve for Seattle this year.... last season Brandon got swept in the WHL finals too and looks like they've used that experience for this season.

next year could very well be another Seattle VS Brandon finals. Both could be extremely good if certain guys come back from NHL camps

We will have to agree to disagree about the very well could be 3 - 0 seattle. I still get stuck on that whole not putting a puck on the net thing. However, Brandon is going to take a major hit this year with their players leaving. There are some young good players who could make a difference next year, and Patrick will be back obviously as he wont be drafted until next year, but it will be tough to be as good as this year and last. With all this playoff experience they might pull a Kelowna and make it one round further then they should have.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
We will have to agree to disagree about the very well could be 3 - 0 seattle. I still get stuck on that whole not putting a puck on the net thing. However, Brandon is going to take a major hit this year with their players leaving. There are some young good players who could make a difference next year, and Patrick will be back obviously as he wont be drafted until next year, but it will be tough to be as good as this year and last. With all this playoff experience they might pull a Kelowna and make it one round further then they should have.

fair enough.. I think it could be. Brandon has scored some extremely lucky goals and whenever a game goes to overtime, either team could very well win the game. Those 2 OT winners in Brandon were bizzare goals.

Im ok with agreeing to disagree!haha

either way, Im terrified for whoever comes out of the WHL, cause London Knights are on an absolute tear right now and they are going to probably steam roll their opponents at Mem. Cup... that like of Marner/Dvorak/Tkachuk has a combined 117 points in 17 playoff games so far haha... that is absolutely ridiculous

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad