2016 WHL Off-Season Thread

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Not playoff related, but since we have no off-season thread....

Giants hire Spruce Grove Saints head coach Jason McKee. His resume checks out, but it appears ex-GM Scott Bonner was pushing for him to be hired. First instance of Glen Hanlon being a lame-duck GM and Toigo still holding the reigns while taking the advice of his buddy/unofficial adviser?

Hordichuk_24

Giants hire Spruce Grove Saints head coach Jason McKee. His resume checks out, but it appears ex-GM Scott Bonner was pushing for him to be hired. First instance of Glen Hanlon being a lame-duck GM and Toigo still holding the reigns while taking the advice of his buddy/unofficial adviser?

Possibly. Although the Giants have been chasing McKee for years now. So it's ironic he finally gets a job with the team when his main advocate is no longer with the organization. I don't know enough about McKee to really comment. The Giants also wanted Steve Hamilton badly a few years ago (McKee and Hamilton share similarities) and Hamilton has done well with Edmonton. So maybe it won't be a bad move? Hard to say. Based on what was really available I don't really see a problem. It basically came down to Holick, Ralph and McKee. The final shortlist from what I heard was basically McKee and Ralph. I was surprised Ralph was on that list. It was my understanding he was looking for a pro job only. But maybe he wanted to keep any/all options open just in case that didn't happen? Either way the move doesn't surprise me. It seemed the Giants were determined to bring McKee into the organization at one point or another. The Giants have focused on chasing that "big name" coach the past few years and that hasn't worked out very well. This is the opposite approach. Maybe it's the best fit for both parties?

Looks like Holick will be out of a job at least at this level. I'm hearing the Rockets are eyeing Kelly Buchberger as head coach.

Free Edler

Enjoy retirement, boys.
Feb 27, 2002
Surrey, BC
McKee is a good hire for the Giants. He's been the best coach in Jr. A for a few years running. AIUI, the early interviews were done by Toigo/Bonner consulting and after the shortlist was created, Hanlon did the final interviews and made the hire.

phillipsj89

Jan 9, 2012
Canada
PG will be announcing their head coach today at Noon. Most likely will be Richard Matvichuk.

I think it's a good hire. Some experience, but a big part of this hire is someone that these players can look up to. Accomplished NHL player, Stanley Cup winner.

Halakitlikethat

Oct 10, 2013
British Columbia
Excited that matvichuk was brought in. Wonder what style he will implement, I found the cats were way to cute with the puck in the games I've gotten to see over the last few years.

Hordichuk_24

McKee is a good hire for the Giants. He's been the best coach in Jr. A for a few years running. AIUI, the early interviews were done by Toigo/Bonner consulting and after the shortlist was created, Hanlon did the final interviews and made the hire.

I hope Hanlon made the decision on his own (although I doubt it). Toigo needs to stay the hell away from the hockey ops part of the business. He's is part of the reason why the team has struggled since parting with Hay. Meddling way too much and trying to be involved in decisions regarding things he doesn't understand. Bonner had free reign to do what he deemed best (especially post-Hay). But I have a gut feeling Hanlon (or whatever GM would have been hired) won't have the same flexibility.

phillipsj89

Jan 9, 2012
Canada
Excited that matvichuk was brought in. Wonder what style he will implement, I found the cats were way to cute with the puck in the games I've gotten to see over the last few years.

I think the biggest facotr in hiring him is that he was a NHL regular. The Cougars players will look up to him as a mentor. Nothing against Hollick, but that certainly wasn't what he was.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad