Blue Jays GDT: (2016 v32) *ALDS GM 2* @ TEX| Fri, Oct 7| 1pmET/10amPT | Happ vs Darvish

Status
Not open for further replies.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
After not pitching the prior two nights, and with an off night tomorrow I would have left Grilli in to start the 8th

Gibby got a bit cute with the match ups but there wasn't anything wrong with his decisions per say. His pitchers just didn't execute on the match ups.

Bottom line we won, if you change anything we may not have.

Woodman19

Jun 14, 2008
Biagini is not stretched out, you don't just go using a reliever until they implode and run them out there for multiple innings more than they are used to. Going 1.2 is fairly generous for a 1 inning guy as is.

Longshot

Jul 2, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Is it normal to take guys to the hospital on a stretcher? I can't imagine it is. Maybe he collapsed or something? I probably shouldn't speculate, but I don't think they'd take him to the hospital on a stretcher is it was just precautionary

I don't think it's unusual, especially with a possible neck injury.

When paramedics arrive, they won't mess around.

Acoustic

Sep 29, 2014
After not pitching the prior two nights, and with an off night tomorrow I would have left Grilli in to start the 8th

Gibby got a bit cute with the match ups but there wasn't anything wrong with his decisions per say. His pitchers just didn't execute on the match ups.

For a neck/back injury, yeah it probably makes a lot of sense.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Is it normal to take guys to the hospital on a stretcher? I can't imagine it is. Maybe he collapsed or something? I probably shouldn't speculate, but I don't think they'd take him to the hospital on a stretcher is it was just precautionary

It's so his head doesn't rattle around on his way there.

New User Name

Jan 2, 2008

If he's having symptoms such as light headed/dizzy even if mild put him on a stretcher and take him ASAP to a hospital. He'll be scanned and see a neurologist and should stay over night even if every thing comes back normal.
He sure to hell shouldn't be flying till tomorrow at the earliest.

Acoustic

Sep 29, 2014
Biagini is not stretched out, you don't just go using a reliever until they implode and run them out there for multiple innings more than they are used to. Going 1.2 is fairly generous for a 1 inning guy as is.

So it's ok to stretch out Osuna but not Biagini? Huh?

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
bottom of the ninth, 2 outs.
2z6t3j9.jpg

Longshot

Jul 2, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Hey, I'm far from a Gibby hater, but I can safely say I hated the way this game was managed. It still could have ended up 5-3, it could have ended up worse, but I still think Biagini should have been given the chance the finish the 7th, Grilili should've have gotten the 8th, and have Osuna handle the 9th. They haven't really played matchups for Grilili all year. I don't know why they started now. Counting on a 5 out save from your half-injured closer is dicey business.

:facepalm:

Did you see the part when Liriano was hit in the head with a line drive?

It was only a "five-out save" because the guy they wanted to pitch the 8th was hurt in a freak situation.

Seriously, did you even watch it?

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010

He pitched 2 innings 13 times this year, and more than an inning 9 additional times, he had just gotten a guy to ground out, with 1 runner on and a 4 run lead. I think I would have hoped he could have got the 1 more out.

I can understand the decision, but I think I would have left him out there.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010

He got hit in the neck with a sphere of fortified rubber traveling 100 mph....

Longshot

Jul 2, 2008
Ontario, Canada
The criticism of the bullpen management astounds me.

Biagini got five outs. And a leftie was coming up.

Cecil is there to get lefties. And he's been really good down the stretch.

Gibbons did exactly what he should have there. With Grilli and Liriano still in the pen, Cecil was only going to face one guy anyway.

If he leave Biagni in to face the leftie and he gets hit, everybody here would be all over him for not using Cecil.

It's not Gibbons fault Cecil walked a guy on four pitches and he had to use Grilli to get out of the inning.

Every move he made was logical and made sense. And that's all that matters. He can't control the performance of the players.

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
:facepalm:

Did you see the part when Liriano was hit in the head with a line drive?

It was only a "five-out save" because the guy they wanted to pitch the 8th was hurt in a freak situation.

Seriously, did you even watch it?

Yeah, I saw that part genius. Why so sensitive?

Liriano was not pitching well. Did you miss that part?

Woodman19

Jun 14, 2008
He pitched 2 innings 13 times this year, and more than an inning 9 additional times, he had just gotten a guy to ground out, with 1 runner on and a 4 run lead. I think I would have hoped he could have got the 1 more out.

I can understand the decision, but I think I would have left him out there.

He has since been moved into the 7th inning role since Benoit got hurt and Gibby probably wanted to limit his use so hes fresh (even with the off day) for Sunday and Monday if need be. He also has to assume the rest of his relievers can at least be competent and not go all Cecil or have freak injuries.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto

I would think its precautionary. He got hit by a flying object at 102 MPH in the head, and the re-actions to things like that can sometimes take a few hours or longer. Not trying to be too depressing, but that girl who was killed by the puck in Columbus didn't feel immediate effects outside of a cut even though her skull was fractured.

I really hope Lirano is okay after brining this up, and I'm pretty sure he will have no long term effect, as it looks to of hit him near the neck.

Can't wait for Sunday though.

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
Nice. You can't make any arguments in support of what you're trying to say, so you insult me.

Welcome to ignore buddy.

I made my arguments in the previous three posts.

Do you expect me to continue to repeat myself?

I've got 16,000 posts on these forums. I think this has to be the first time someone has threatened to put me on ignore.:laugh:

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I would think its precautionary. He got hit by a flying object at 102 MPH in the head, and the re-actions to things like that can sometimes take a few hours or longer. Not trying to be too depressing, but that girl who was killed by the puck in Columbus didn't feel immediate effects outside of a cut even though her skull was fractured.

I really hope Lirano is okay after brining this up, and I'm pretty sure he will have no long term effect, as it looks to of hit him near the neck.

Can't wait for Sunday though.

Wait until the next day, sometimes you're fine the day of after getting your head hit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->