Blue Jays GDT: (2016 v25) Next: vs BOS| Sun, Sept 11| 1pmET/10amPT | Buchholz vs Sanchez

Status
Not open for further replies.

Longshot

Jul 2, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Really Farrell? Joe Kelly?

Wouldn't you want to go with a good reliever and try and keep this a one-run game? Not that the Jays are guaranteed to score, but this guy has been brutal.

Josh92

Mar 29, 2016
Don't intentionally put the tying run on base, especially when Mookie Betts is up to bat.

It's a golden rule that you gotta live by.

Numbers dont lie right? Have you seen Ortiz numbers at rogers centre? But hey, he got on base anyway, and grilli got out of it. All is well in the world.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Numbers dont lie right? Have you seen Ortiz numbers at rogers centre? But hey, he got on base anyway, and grilli got out of it. All is well in the world.

If he hits a home run you're tied. I'd take my chances on him rather than just let him get the free base and put the go ahead run at the plate.

Josh92

Mar 29, 2016
Walking Ortiz for Mookie is like walking encarnacion to get to Donaldson

Not really when its the lefty righty matchup versus the righty on righty matchup....but like I said, Ortiz still reached and grilli still got out of it. So its all good, right?

Josh92

Mar 29, 2016
If he hits a home run you're tied. I'd take my chances on him rather than just let him get the free base and put the go ahead run at the plate.

I would assume the chances of ortiz hitting it out vs grilli than betts hitting it out vs grilli is greater right? Just saying. Ive seen teams walk rizzo to get to bryant in that same scenario.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
I would assume the chances of ortiz hitting it out vs grilli than betts hitting it out vs grilli is greater right? Just saying. Ive seen teams walk rizzo to get to bryant in that same scenario.

I'd like to see these scenarios. Maybe they pitch him to a walk, but they shouldn't be intentionally giving up the base. Also with Bryant you're getting a guy with (albeit more power) a lot of swing and miss compared to Betts.

Josh92

Mar 29, 2016
I'd like to see these scenarios.

Im telling you I have seen this on a few occasions. And rewind the broadcast, buck and pat both wondered id they d walk ortiz. I wasnt the only one thinking it.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
"It's kind of baffling how this guy (Kelly) doesn't have more success."

2016 bb/9: 6.52
2016 WHIP: 2.00

Yep. Baffling.

EDIT: and just so we're not dealing purely with small sample size, his 2015 #s were 3.28 and 1.44 respectively. Better, but still not great.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Agreed. However both former players and Buck was a manager. More than any of us on here can say.

I mean I wouldn't think it would need much explaining why walking the winning run to the plate who is also a top 5 player in baseball this year is a awful idea. Ortiz hits a dinger there....it sucks yes but it's a tie game, you walk Ortiz for Mookie and he hits one out you look like a complete idiot.

Josh92

Mar 29, 2016
I'd like to see these scenarios. Maybe they pitch him to a walk, but they shouldn't be intentionally giving up the base. Also with Bryant you're getting a guy with (albeit more power) a lot of swing and miss compared to Betts.

Ya the "unintentional intentional walk"...that could of been a possibility too.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
"It's kind of baffling how this guy (Kelly) doesn't have more success."

2016 bb/9: 6.52
2016 WHIP: 2.00

Yep. Baffling.

EDIT: and just so we're not dealing purely with small sample size, his 2015 #s were 3.28 and 1.44 respectively. Better, but still not great.

He does have a 3.44 K/BB, 3.54 FIP, 3.61 xFIP as a reliever. Not incredibly impressive but with a fastball that can hit triple digits you always just expect that pitcher to dominate.

Josh92

Mar 29, 2016
I mean I wouldn't think it would need much explaining why walking the winning run to the plate who is also a top 5 player in baseball this year is a awful idea. Ortiz hits a dinger there....it sucks yes but it's a tie game, you walk Ortiz for Mookie and he hits one out you look like a complete idiot.

Once again....ortiz still got on 1st even without my proposed intentional walk and they still got betts out..point proven im a genius (im joking)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad