Blue Jays GDT: (2016 v23) Next: @ BAL| Mon, Aug 29| 7pmET/4pmPT | Estrada vs Miley

Status
Not open for further replies.

eddieO

Jan 9, 2013
The Beach
You don't need hindsight to justify the Happ and Estrada deals over Price though. Many of us were arguing in favour of those deals since the beginning.

I like that Shapiro and Atkins didn't go for the splashy deal which could've turned out to be an anchor contract later on. Happ and Estrada were fantastic, smart deals that worked out. Was happy then and I'm happier now.

Woodman19

Jun 14, 2008
I like that Shapiro and Atkins didn't go for the splashy deal which could've turned out to be an anchor contract later on. Happ and Estrada were fantastic, smart deals that worked out. Was happy then and I'm happier now.

The other underrated benefit is, its much easier to move out from your mistakes with short term deals. Storen and Chavez were cast aside like nothing when we had a chance to upgrade.

Acoustic

Sep 29, 2014
Sorry, when I see people talking about hindsight being 20/20 with regards to signing someone to a 7/217 contract I guess I just gotta reply to it.

In a strictly WAR sense, which I what I was responding to, not a money sense, in the past there was no comparison.

eddieO

Jan 9, 2013
The Beach
There still isn't a comparison based on WAR. But in terms of surplus value yes, they have similar value.

Term is a huge factor people sometimes disregard. Price's contract looks like it could be negative value in a few years if his velo drops. Everything about fans clamoring for Price at 7/217 was ridiculous then and it's ridiculous now.

That type of contract would destroy all of our flexibility for years to come.

JS19

Legends Never Die
Aug 14, 2009
The Shark Tank
You don't need hindsight to justify the Happ and Estrada deals over Price though. Many of us were arguing in favour of those deals since the beginning.

Really? I was in favour of the Happ deal because I liked his chances of continuing his Pirate success, but I remember a lot of people were assuming that we got 2012 Happ again instead of 2015 Happ in the older threads.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Really? I was in favour of the Happ deal because I liked his chances of continuing his Pirate success, but I remember a lot of people were assuming that we got 2012 Happ again instead of 2015 Happ in the older threads.

2012 Happ was good so I wouldn't have had a problem with that. Most of the regular posters were favourable to him (and some were cautious but had hope), Zeke was really just the bad apple of the bunch.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
2012 Happ was good so I wouldn't have had a problem with that. Most of the regular posters were favourable to him (and some were cautious but had hope), Zeke was really just the bad apple of the bunch.

Pretty much, yep. If he pitched to his career averages, it would have been a break-even type deal. If his Pittsburgh changes were even somewhat sustainable, it would have been a bargain. There was very, very limited downside at the time of the signing.

I loved the Happ/Estrada diversification moves rather than spending all available money on one guy and going with a stars and scrubs rotation, and I think most people either agreed, or at least understood they idea behind it. The signings looked good at first, and they only looked better when guys like Chen, Leake, and Kennedy started signing for $70+ million. I think a lot of the issue with some of the more negative posters is that they underestimate the difficulty of finding average starting pitchers for cheap, so signing Price seems like a great idea to them because they can just go out and sign a bunch of cheap reclamation projects and let them duke it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad