Blue Jays GDT: (2016 v21) Next: @ NYY| Mon, Aug 15| 7pmET/4pmPT | Dickey vs Green

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bad News Benning

Fallin for Dahlin?
Jan 11, 2003
Victoria
Visit site
Look, I get it. You hate Smoak. He's struggling. He sucks right now. So, of course, the solution is to get rid of him ASAP. If that's how you think fine. But trying to argue that a guy who has played almost 800 games in the majors isn't an established big league player is silly.

If they call up Tellez, a double A guy with no experience, they are taking away at bats from Smoak - an established major league player (whether you like him or not).

And do you even recognize the only reason he is playing regularly is a run of injuries to every-day players? One of the prime reasons they acquired Upton was to help limit Smoak's at bats. Right now he is being over exposed because they don't have many options due to several injuries to regular starters.

He sucks right now and he's sucked majority of his career. He will get a random home run in a blow out to pad his HR totals but he has no business playing a premium bat position. The fact they seem committed to playing him meaningful AB's is very concerning. If the jays planned to play Jose/Edwin at 1b/DH I would be less concerned but if they want to play Jose in RF when he's back I think Tellez is a better option than Smoak.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
You want to bring up a Double-A prospect in the middle of a pennant race?

Okay, I get it. You can't answer my question (which was posed seriously, I myself have wondered if there is a way to upgrade on Smoak), so you respond with the whole: "call up the hotshot from the minors" answer as if that constitutes a serious argument.

the 1B/DH free agent crop is not encouraging. (Let's just ignore Encarnacion for the moment)

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2015/03/2016-17-mlb-free-agents.html

1B
Ryan Howard (has a club option w/buyout, but I can't see the Phillies picking it up) - :laugh: No.
Chris Johnson - awful
Adam Lind - We already know what Lind is. vs RHP Platoon batter, not a full-time starter.
James Loney - Mediocre contact-only/average-only 1B with no power or OBP.
Mitch Moreland - Middling 1B. Could do worse. could do better.
Logan Morrison - Probably wouldn't be in the league if he didn't have top-shelf prospect pedigree to keep him afloat.
Brandon Moss - strikeout machine with some power flashes, but may be more of a part-time player moving forward. Has a hip injury in his history.
Mike Napoli - rebounded from his down 2014, but he's going to be 35 soon and you wonder how much longer he'll remain productive.
Steve Pearce - Sucked playing more as a regular last year. he's largely a vs LHP platoon now.
Sean Rodriguez - super-utility player with little to no bat.
Carlos Santana (has club option for '17 with buyout) - was a great offensive catcher. Now he's a slightly-above-average offensive 1B
Eric Thames (yes, that, Eric Thames) - Last I checked he's still in Korea. He was a free swinger in nearly 700 MLB PAs, so there's no reason to suspect that's changed in the 4 years since his last tour of duty.

DH
Pedro Alvarez - K-machine, defensive adventure, mostly a vs RHP platoon guy.
Carlos Beltran - He's gonna be 40.
Kendrys Morales (has mutual option w/buyout) - 2015 looks like a big fluke. He's a middling DH option on the downswing of his career.
Mark Trumbo - Lots of power, but lots of swings. You only get the former if you live with the K's from the latter.

GangGreen

May 27, 2012
the 1B/DH free agent crop is not encouraging. (Let's just ignore Encarnacion for the moment)

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2015/03/2016-17-mlb-free-agents.html

1B
Ryan Howard (has a club option w/buyout, but I can't see the Phillies picking it up) - :laugh: No.
Chris Johnson - awful
Adam Lind - We already know what Lind is. vs RHP Platoon batter, not a full-time starter.
James Loney - Mediocre contact-only/average-only 1B with no power or OBP.
Mitch Moreland - Middling 1B. Could do worse. could do better.
Logan Morrison - Probably wouldn't be in the league if he didn't have top-shelf prospect pedigree to keep him afloat.
Brandon Moss - strikeout machine with some power flashes, but may be more of a part-time player moving forward. Has a hip injury in his history.
Mike Napoli - rebounded from his down 2014, but he's going to be 35 soon and you wonder how much longer he'll remain productive.
Steve Pearce - Sucked playing more as a regular last year. he's largely a vs LHP platoon now.
Sean Rodriguez - super-utility player with little to no bat.
Carlos Santana (has club option for '17 with buyout) - was a great offensive catcher. Now he's a slightly-above-average offensive 1B
Eric Thames (yes, that, Eric Thames) - Last I checked he's still in Korea. He was a free swinger in nearly 700 MLB PAs, so there's no reason to suspect that's changed in the 4 years since his last tour of duty.

DH
Pedro Alvarez - K-machine, defensive adventure, mostly a vs RHP platoon guy.
Carlos Beltran - He's gonna be 40.
Kendrys Morales (has mutual option w/buyout) - 2015 looks like a big fluke. He's a middling DH option on the downswing of his career.
Mark Trumbo - Lots of power, but lots of swings. You only get the former if you live with the K's from the latter.

Trade for Votto. That is all

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad