2016 Trade Speculation thread

MurrayBannerman

I post about baseball on a hockey forum
Feb 18, 2012
CHI
Haven't seen any improvements as far as plate discipline goes since he's entered the league.

That's why I wasn't a fan. I jumped on the train because he was so damn fun though. Baseball is better when Puig is good.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Haven't seen any improvements as far as plate discipline goes since he's entered the league.

Yeah, I can't even imagine how frustrating it must be to watch him on an everyday basis. I'm just long shot betting that he grows up and figures it out eventually.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
I was never on the Puig bandwagon, but even I have to say his fall from grace happened more quickly than anticipated. I thought he'd get at least 1 or 2 more great seasons before his flaws would overtake the positives and his body would start to wear down.

Guy is going to go down as one of the biggest flash in the pans in baseball history. Hard to believe he's just 25.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Maybe I'm just hooked on his tools and potential but I have to think this guy turns it around and bounces back somewhere in the realm of where he was when he burst into the league. Young and cheap contract too. It would be a classic A's move though. Jays will need outfielders next year though. Bautista shouldn't be playing the field anymore even if he does re-sign and Saunders is for sure gone. That leaves Pillar and Upton Jr.

I don't know if he'll go back to what he was but he should be a solid player for a long time. Seems to be his own worst enemy but if he can grow up a bit, I wouldn't be too concerned. Is possibly being judged against his own early success.

Yeah, but even the 'bad' Puig of the last two seasons is at about 2.0 WAR over his last 160 games in that stretch. It isn't like he's terrible, and the bigger problem has been his attitude.

Like I said above, it 'feels' worse because his first two years were such superstar stuff.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
That's why I wasn't a fan. I jumped on the train because he was so damn fun though. Baseball is better when Puig is good.

Lot of people were on board initially, myself included. Fun player and you want to see him succeed but I wasn't on very long.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
I don't know if he'll go back to what he was but he should be a solid player for a long time. Seems to be his own worst enemy but if he can grow up a bit, I wouldn't be too concerned. Is possibly being judged against his own early success.

Yeah, but even the 'bad' Puig of the last two seasons is at about 2.0 WAR over his last 160 games in that stretch. It isn't like he's terrible, and the bigger problem has been his attitude.

Like I said above, it 'feels' worse because his first two years were such superstar stuff.

His first 2 seasons were fun as hell and he took baseball by storm but major league pitching eventually figured him out and he hasn't made any adjustments.

He's still only 25 so there's still hope.

Tecumseh

Scorched Earth
Oct 20, 2012
Southbridge, MA
It probably didn't help that when we first came up pitchers were basically throwing batting practice to him. The learning curve has been steep but from what I've seen this year, his plate discipline seems to be improving gradually.

BigHabs

Aug 3, 2009
I kind of want to see the Jays in on him.

Just with Bautista and Encarnacion most likely gone IMO. It would make sense with Upton Jr / Pillar / Puig in the outfield.

Decent outfield. Puig is turning into more of a project to take on and he could potentially help the squad now especially with Bautista having trouble staying healthy for a decent stint.

Plus I think the Jays bench bosses would help him out get his game a bit more complete and surrounded him with guys that will support him with Donaldson / Pillar / and such.

Side note he really seemed to enjoy himself when he played the Jays earlier this year and went to a lot of tourist attractions.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Ah true, was looking at Cots payroll spreadsheet where he is not listed. Still, LA ain't taking him back.

It's not like the Dodgers need to take on an albatross to trade Puig. He still has value. Yeah it's much much lower than it was a year ago. He's a buy low candidate but his contract is fine (and is a steal if he plays anywhere close to his level) and everyone is aware of his potential and skill set.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
I would say it's OK - 2 years left at 11 M per. He doesn't hit for power but at least gets on base at a decent clip.

Where are you getting those numbers?

Spotrac has his contract listed as this (including signing bonuses)

2012 $3,714,285
2013 $3,714,285
2014 $3,714,285
2015 $6,214,285
2016 $7,214,285
2017 $8,214,285
2018 $9,214,285
2019 ARB 1
2020 UFA

Or does a bunch of that money from 2012-2014 get deferred because he wasn't in the majors at the time or something?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->