Proposal: 2016 Trade Rumours and Proposals Thread Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
That's fine. I rather keep them.

I would too, but the chance any of them are ever as good as Gaudreau is already at any point in their careers is very minuscule. I would have to think very hard at that, Gaudreau up front would be incredible.

Gaudreau is Calgary's Karlsson, it would take a severe over-payment to get him.

He is a top 5 offensive forward already.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Yeah, we could offer Chabot, White and Brown and they still laugh.

They'd be fools to turn down that offer. That package includes a potential #1 center, potential top pairing defenseman, and a potential top 6 forward, all having 3 years left on their ELCs.

Take the 7+ million Gaudreau wants, offer it to the next Okposo/Eriksson that comes on the market and laugh all the way to the bank as you now have 4 excellent players instead of one amazing player.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
They'd be fools to turn down that offer. That package includes a potential #1 center, potential top pairing defenseman, and a potential top 6 forward, all having 3 years left on their ELCs.

Take the 7+ million Gaudreau wants, offer it to the next Okposo/Eriksson that comes on the market and laugh all the way to the bank as you now have 4 excellent players instead of one amazing player.

How many potential players would we take for Karlsson?

We can apply that logic to Karsson, and 99% would be against that.

Would we do Laine, Connor, Roslovic for Karlsson at 23 years old? I wouldn't want too, but we'd get 2 top liners and a top 6, and Karlsson's money to throw at...Mike Green? Ryan Suturs rarely come along.

Karlsson is better than Gaudreau, Jets trio better than Sens trio.

As I said, I'd want to keep our guys, just looking at it from their POV.

Last edited:

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
How many potential players would we take for Karlsson?

We can apply that logic to Karsson, and 99% would be against that.

Would we do Laine, Connor, Roslovic for Karlsson? I wouldn't want too, but we'd get 2 top liners and a top 6.

Karlsson is on another level than Gaudreau in terms of value. If Gaudreau put up his 70-80 points from the point while playing 30 minutes a night against the oppositions best players, then you'd have a point. Don't even get me started on the differences in value between wingers and defensemen.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Would we do Laine, Connor, Roslovic for Karlsson at 23 years old? I wouldn't want too, but we'd get 2 top liners and a top 6, and Karlsson's money to throw at...Mike Green? Ryan Suturs rarely come along.

Karlsson is better than Gaudreau, Jets trio better than Sens trio.

As I said, I'd want to keep our guys, just looking at it from their POV.

I'd want a better package then that, since Karlsson's value is much higher than Gaudreau's, but if we could use Karlsson's money and sign a top pairing defenseman in free agency, I would absolutely make that kind of deal. Downgrading from Karlsson to say Yandle, in exchange for Laine, Connor, Roslovic + more, makes the Sens a better team in the future.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Karlsson is on another level than Gaudreau in terms of value. If Gaudreau put up his 70-80 points from the point while playing 30 minutes a night against the oppositions best players, then you'd have a point. Don't even get me started on the differences in value between wingers and defensemen.

I'd want a better package then that, since Karlsson's value is much higher than Gaudreau's, but if we could use Karlsson's money and sign a top pairing defenseman in free agency, I would absolutely make that kind of deal. Downgrading from Karlsson to say Yandle, in exchange for Laine, Connor, Roslovic + more, makes the Sens a better team in the future.

Fair enough, I won't make you explain the difference in value to me. Agreed, I'd make that deal too. But the organization likely wouldn't.

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
This was clearly mentioned as an issue in my original proposal. I never ignored him having to change his mind and waive his NTC.

The Rangers have almost no money coming off of the book next season. Glass and Pirri combined could save them a few hundred thousand if they replaced them with cheap 2 way contracts. That's all really. The cap is far from a guarantee to go up or even stay the same. This season the cap would have declined had it not been for the NHLPA once again agreeing to use their escalator. The Rangers willl have to re-up Zibanejad at 4M-5M per, then there'll be a few other players who will command raises like Lindberg. They'll likely have to cover Vesey's performance bonuses (potentially nearly 3M) that with only 1.5M in cap space right now could carry over to next year. There are also players like Brady Skjei who might earn performance bonuses if they play a big enough role. I think you're underestimating how tight they could end up being to the cap.

I never denied that Nash was still valuable. I never painted him as a pure cap dump. I stated the Sens would still have to give up something valuable with MacArthur like a 1st + +.

The point of the trade is that cap wise it accomplishes different things for each team involved. Ottawa spends the money wasted on MacArthur on LTIR on an actual player via spending 16M on Nash over two seasons instead of nearly 20M in real money on Mac over four. The Rangers get about 3M in actual cap relief this season and next season which for this season is important because it'll prevent performance bonuses from carrying over to next year. So it isn't like adding cap this year is useless just because they've already fit their team under the cap ceiling. The other 4.5M in relief would be in LTIR.

If someone was willing to take on Nash without them having to take on a contract like MacArthur's, while still giving up a 1st + + for him, I think the Rangers would have traded him by now. Which is why I think it might be plausible that they'd pull the trigger. Gets both teams out of a bad cap/financial situation, but Ottawa has to add significantly because they are getting a player and they are getting the better side of the cap relief.

As far as the expansion draft goes, the Rangers will have to leave at least 1 decent forward unprotected between Lindberg, Hayes, and Fast. Ridding them of Nash's NMC let's them keep an extra one of those players.

These are all realistic sounding moves.

Rangers are trying to win now this season though and Nash helps them in that goal. If they trade him for what you're proposing they've just sent a message to King Henry and the rest of the group they've thrown in the towel on this season. They don't have anywhere to spend the savings on the roster this year anyways.

Rangers will have roughly 2.5 million in cap space to start the season once the roster gets trimmed down to 23 players. By season's end it slatted to be a lot more. They aren't in bonus overage territory.

Trading Nash would just let them keep their choice of Lindberg, Hayes or Fast. They're gonna lose one of them anyway you want to slice it.

CMac hurts their cap situation for 2 additional years. That counts for a lot. LTIR still hurts a team.

If anything CMac for either Staal or Girardi seems much more likely.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006

That's all best case scenario though. What if Chabot is a 4 at best, Brown becomes a decent 2nd line centre and White tops out as a third liner? Still worth it?

They are good prospects, but it's not like any of them aren't can't miss.

Gaudreau is already a proven player at a young age.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Fam, I'd trade Hoffman+White+Brown for Gaudreau are you kidding me?

Gaudreau-Stone

Would be the best duo in hockey. I'm not even considering Karlsson playing with those 2.

Gaudreau and Stone's playing styles are a match made in heaven. They are both only 23. We'd be competitive for years with those 2 as our elite wingers and with Karlsson.

Think Kane, Toews and Keith. Ofc Toews plays more important position than Stone but it's as close as you can get. Brassard's clutchness in between those 2 and wow, what a line.

Gaudreau-Brassard-Stone
Dzingel-Turris-Ryan
Smith-Pageau-Lazar
Pyatt-Kelly-Paulorsomeoneelse

Chabot-Karlsson
Phaneuf-Ceci
Methot-Wideman
(in 2 years defense)

Anderson
Hammond

Gorgeous. No real top line center but we have 2 top 10 wingers in the game on one line.

TBH I really think Hoffman still has one more step in his game and could be elite 35-35 guy... but Gaudreau is the real thing and 3 years younger, bro.

Lol it's nice to live in a fantasy once in a while.

Hutz

Sep 7, 2007
Looking into it I wouldn't. 2nd time in his young career he has thrown a tantrum when he didn't get what he wanted. First time it was with the oilers now it's with the coyotes. Do not want that type of player around the team unless he comes dirt cheap

What was the situation with the Oilers? Can't find any links.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
That's all best case scenario though. What if Chabot is a 4 at best, Brown becomes a decent 2nd line centre and White tops out as a third liner? Still worth it?

They are good prospects, but it's not like any of them aren't can't miss.

Gaudreau is already a proven player at a young age.

You're talking about a worst case scenario. All 3 of Brown, Chabot and White are pretty safe bets to become good players, with the potential to be impact players.

Even in your worst case scenario it's a win. Considering a guy like Okposo is a pretty safe bet for 50-60 points, we're talking about a difference of 20-30 points between him and Gaudreau. I'll gladly give up those 20 points in exchange for a decent 2nd line center, a top 4 defenseman and a 3rd line forward.

Fam, I'd trade Hoffman+White+Brown for Gaudreau are you kidding me?

You'd trade White and Brown for a 20 point upgrade on Hoffman?

Hope those 20 extra points are all in overtime against division rivals.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
First off, my example was not worse case scenario, it was just less optomistic then your prediction. We have no idea how Chabot, White and Brown will turn out. They could be great players, never play in the league or be anywhere in between. You can't say this is a clear win for Calgary because there is so much uncertainty with prospects, even first round picks. It's a lot for Ottawa to part with, but Gaudreau is a proven player at this point. Those three are not.

Saying its a clear win for Calgary is being very optomistic because you're acting like you know how those 3 players will pan out when none of them have played a game in the nhl.

Karl Eriksson

Boring!
Apr 12, 2007
Ottawa
So what do we do in terms of a 2nd line LW?

Michalek traded and MacArthur's career basically being done leaves the sense with no legit second line option at LW no ?

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
if you want a good laugh remember little is worth more than stone because of his defensive play ...:laugh::laugh:

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013

Michalek traded and MacArthur's career basically being done leaves the sense with no legit second line option at LW no ?

I don't think this merits making a panic trade, but if there is a guy out there that Ottawa thinks could be a top 6 LWer or even strong 3rd line LWer and could be had for cheap (Rieder as a result of his contract situation/Yakupov as a result of being Nail Yakupov (LH RWer)/Tanguay via PTO) I could see adding a player making sense. Otherwise, leave Smith with Pageau and attempt to see if a guy like Puempel or Dzingle can step up and win the 2LW job.

If Mac's career is over and they need to find a creative way to move his contract before adding more money, than that might change things.

With that said, depth will be an issue. I think it was Bob McKenzie who brought up a decent point last night during intermission. Smith isn't out of place on the 2nd line, but in an ideal world he is a 3rd liner, and putting him on the 2nd line creates a ripple effect where the Sens are putting a guy like Pyatt who'd ideally be a 4th liner on the third line.

If Lazar is going to be out for a while and another top 6 winger goes down, the Sens are going to look very very thin.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
I would be willing to suit up and play left wing. I use to play left wing when i played hockey. Put me in coach. I promise i am good.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
I would be willing to suit up and play left wing. I use to play left wing when i played hockey. Put me in coach. I promise i am good.

As long as you don't take too many offensive zone penalties and you're good along the boards I'm willing to give you a chance.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
I'd be inclined to pay the price for a 20G LW. Not sure who is out there.

There are a few issues though.

1-Who is realistically available right now?
2-Is MacArthur expected to be back?
3-If Mac's contract is uninsured, how much cash is available for a 2LW?

These reasons are why I think we'll either see the Sens attempt to see what they have in their system with Puempel especially but also guys like Dzingel, but also why if they acquire another winger it might just be a 3LW type for depth, or a reclamation project like Yakupov.

Rieder and Yakupov are really the two most realistic names I can think of, and Yak is a long shot because he is a natural right winger and the team trading for him is based around them actually thinking he still has top 6 upside. If Puempel and Yakupov both fail to earn significant ice time, maybe the Sens and Oilers swap them in a change of scenery type move like we've seen other teams do with prospects. The Sens probably have to add something to that, but it would be a basis for at trade.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa

We should give Shane Prince a shot... oh wait.

I'd definitely be on board for Tobias Reider if he can play LW. I though he mostly played RW.

50 in 07

Feb 10, 2016

JVR?

Would cost a lot, but hes a 30g 30a guy who could be had for probably just futures.

Obviously this would be assuming we tried promoting guys internally and they weren't cutting it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad