Proposal: 2016 Trade Rumours and Proposals Thread Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
First off Nash has had no interest in playing for any Canadian team in the past.

This was clearly mentioned as an issue in my original proposal. I never ignored him having to change his mind and waive his NTC.

Nashs contract is no issue for the Rangers this year. They've already got their budget sorted out for the season. Then he's on a 1 year deal.
His NMC isn't an issue for the Rangers because who else of any value would be taking up that protection spot?

The Rangers have almost no money coming off of the book next season. Glass and Pirri combined could save them a few hundred thousand if they replaced them with cheap 2 way contracts. That's all really. The cap is far from a guarantee to go up or even stay the same. This season the cap would have declined had it not been for the NHLPA once again agreeing to use their escalator. The Rangers willl have to re-up Zibanejad at 4M-5M per, then there'll be a few other players who will command raises like Lindberg. They'll likely have to cover Vesey's performance bonuses (potentially nearly 3M) that with only 1.5M in cap space right now could carry over to next year. There are also players like Brady Skjei who might earn performance bonuses if they play a big enough role. I think you're underestimating how tight they could end up being to the cap.

Nash had an injury plagued year last year but the year prior had 43 goals. He can still play a valuable role and Rangers are trying to compete not take on a long term contract dump.

I never denied that Nash was still valuable. I never painted him as a pure cap dump. I stated the Sens would still have to give up something valuable with MacArthur like a 1st + +.

The point of the trade is that cap wise it accomplishes different things for each team involved. Ottawa spends the money wasted on MacArthur on LTIR on an actual player via spending 16M on Nash over two seasons instead of nearly 20M in real money on Mac over four. The Rangers get about 3M in actual cap relief this season and next season which for this season is important because it'll prevent performance bonuses from carrying over to next year. So it isn't like adding cap this year is useless just because they've already fit their team under the cap ceiling. The other 4.5M in relief would be in LTIR.

If someone was willing to take on Nash without them having to take on a contract like MacArthur's, while still giving up a 1st + + for him, I think the Rangers would have traded him by now. Which is why I think it might be plausible that they'd pull the trigger. Gets both teams out of a bad cap/financial situation, but Ottawa has to add significantly because they are getting a player and they are getting the better side of the cap relief.

As far as the expansion draft goes, the Rangers will have to leave at least 1 decent forward unprotected between Lindberg, Hayes, and Fast. Ridding them of Nash's NMC let's them keep an extra one of those players.

If CMac's contract isn't insured it'll be other long term awful contracts but for guys who can still play like Andrew Macdonald (4 years @ 5 cap hit) or Dustin Brown (6 years @ 5.875)

These are all realistic sounding moves.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Calgary: Bishop
TB: Trouba
Ott: Gaudreau
Winn: Chabot

I love Chabot but holy crap we are not getting Gaudreau for him, are you nuts?

Not only that, how are we fitting his 8 mil dollar ask into our budget?

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
dear god calgary gets ****** so hard, Winnipeg loses the deal as well

I weighted it for Brian Burkes hair style. But something has to give, so many players unsigned and so many players in play.

I don't think Ottawa needs a LW as bad as a LD, but having an elite puck control winger with Atone would give us a line that would keep us in every game. That's the one element we are missing, a dangler who can get to the center of the ice

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
I love Chabot but holy crap we are not getting Gaudreau for him, are you nuts?

Not only that, how are we fitting his 8 mil dollar ask into our budget?

I'm assuming Mac is on LTI, maybe you have to throw a Zach Smith or Boro in to get rid of salary. But I think if you put Chabot in a package you could get a Gaudreau type for him, I'd say he is in the top 1-2 D prospects not in the NHL, if not #1

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
I'm assuming Mac is on LTI, maybe you have to throw a Zach Smith or Boro in to get rid of salary. But I think if you put Chabot in a package you could get a Gaudreau type for him, I'd say he is in the top 1-2 D prospects not in the NHL, if not #1

the only way we get into the conversation for gaudreau is if calgary decides to rebuild their rebuild, or if they dont like him for some reason

even then it will likely cost chabot+brown+white+1st

and even then i would not be surprised if they would want more, for a 23 year old ppg forward who realistically can continue to improve

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Yep.

One persons misfortune is another persons opportunity. Puempel, Paul and Dzingel can't ask for a better chance to prove themselves.

Agreed.

Puempel 2 seasons ago was looking like a very solid nhl player until his injury, then he got bumped down the depth chart for the newer toys who were playing when he was injured. I'm expecting a break out season tbh especially since now he should be getting top 6 minutes and maybe even pp 2 minutes

I'm hoping for the same thing & IMO Puempel is the better goal scorer & this team might just need a goal scorer a little more than a speedster.

My money is on Dzingel to take the LW spot. I just haven't seen anything from Puempel to make me think otherwise. Hopefully he proves me wrong.

As for Lazar's spot, I think Buddy can do it. Defensively they are similar, and offensively are very close I think. The problem is that both of those guys should really be playing on the 4th line, not the third.

Exactly what has Dzingel shown that makes you think he is better than Puempel. from my perspective he is much faster & that is it IMO. Puempel on the other hand has shown that he is a much better goal scorer so I think it comes down to what the team needs more, a speedster or a goal scorer? I'll give you that Puempel hasn't scored very much at the NHL level yet but neither has Dzingel really. I think injuries seem to have hurt Puempel every time it looked like he was about to break out but he has the reputation & was drafted in the first round as a goal scorer. I agree with you that Robinson should be the guy to replace Lazar but this coaching staff seem to have a hard on for Pyatt & more likely that he will replace Lazar & if I had to bet would say Paul could have the inside track to be the 4th line LW. We'll see, should be interesting.

Dreger just tweeted "Ottawa one of a handful of teams with interest in Seidenberg. First team to make a competitive offer might get him. Strong World Cup".

Geez, I would think they need forwards more, not defencemen at this time, maybe they make a blockbuster trade which includes a couple of defencemen leaving to bring in a forward or two & then sign Seidenberg. Should be interesting to see what PD does in his first big test as GM under some adversity.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Agreed.

I'm hoping for the same thing & IMO Puempel is the better goal scorer & this team might just need a goal scorer a little more than a speedster.

Exactly what has Dzingel shown that makes you think he is better than Puempel. from my perspective he is much faster & that is it IMO. Puempel on the other hand has shown that he is a much better goal scorer so I think it comes down to what the team needs more, a speedster or a goal scorer? I'll give you that Puempel hasn't scored very much at the NHL level yet but I think injuries seem to have hurt him every time it looked like he was about to break out. I agree with you that Robinson should be the guy to replace Lazar but this coaching staff seem to have a hard on for Pyatt & more likely that he will replace Lazar & if I had to bet would say Paul could have the inside track to be the 4th line LW.

Geez, I would think they need forwards more, not defencemen at this time, maybe they make a blockbuster trade which includes a couple of defencemen leaving to bring in a forward or two & then sign Seidenberg. Should be interesting to see what PD does in his first big test as GM under some adversity.

Puempel is a better finisher, but he's so quiet when he's not getting scoring chances. At least Dzingel can skate into the zone with the puck and play down low with it. I think they wanted Mac on Ryan's line so they had 2 players to get the puck into the zone and set up, that would be Dzingel. Puempel is a pure finisher

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012

Are you serious? Gaudreau is a top 10 offensive talent in the league... You don't get him with a package with a prospect as the main piece.

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
It is a very small sample size, but Dzingel's production last year was impressive relative to his role.

With his speed, I think he'd fit better alongside Ryan and Brassard than Puempel might. Although, I'm really interested to see Puempel in a top 6 spot to see if he sinks or swims.

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
Are you serious? Gaudreau is a top 10 offensive talent in the league... You don't get him with a package with a prospect as the main piece.

Gaudreau just put up a near top 5 scoring season at 23. If the Sens legitimately wanted him and the Flames had to trade him try Hoffman+Chabot as a starting point.

If Gaudreau actually hit the trade market, teams would be offering up a lot to get him. Something around Chabot alone wouldn't get it done.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009

I weighted my trade knowing Brian Burke hasn't showered in 2 years. We won't be getting Gaudreau, but TB and Winnipeg have to make a trade of a huge impact player. It'll send ripples throughout the league.

I still think Ottawa wants an elite winger.

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
I weighted my trade knowing Brian Burke hasn't showered in 2 years. We won't be getting Gaudreau, but TB and Winnipeg have to make a trade of a huge impact player. It'll send ripples throughout the league.

so do 29 other teams, whats your point

also we have someone by the name of mark stone, maybe you heard of him

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
My pick to get Gaudreau if he is traded would be Buffalo. Tim Murray isn't afraid of overpaying for a player he wants.

They could send back Evander Kane as one of the pieces (I am not suggesting Kane is anywhere near Gaudreau in value) which gives Calgary what should be (if he gets his **** together) a top 6 LWer. Buffalo also has loads of high end prospects from drafting high over the last few years, so they have the pieces to dangle a competitive multi-player offer.

Lastly, they are in different conferences.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Puempel is a better finisher, but he's so quiet when he's not getting scoring chances. At least Dzingel can skate into the zone with the puck and play down low with it. I think they wanted Mac on Ryan's line so they had 2 players to get the puck into the zone and set up, that would be Dzingel. Puempel is a pure finisher

Good point, that's possible, we'll see. I've always thought that Puempel (finisher) would be great with Stone on his line to set him up similar to how Smith played so much better with Stone. And with Mac out maybe Puempel would be a good fit there but then again Stone is out right now too. :shakehead

KnuckChuckinTkachuk

Give'yer balls a tug
Jan 23, 2011
Sign Tanguay to either play on the 2nd or 3rd line. 30 points in 70 games. Getting a 0.50 ppg left winger is exactly what we need to fill the gap Mac just left.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Good point, that's possible, we'll see. I've always thought that Puempel (finisher) would be great with Stone on his line to set him up similar to how Smith played so much better with Stone. And with Mac out maybe Puempel would be a good fit there but then again Stone is out right now too. :shakehead

Stone could turn Eugene Melnyk into a 25 goal scorer. smith didn't really score 25, he tapped in 15 Mark Stone passes.
I don't want them to mess with that 3rd line, it's elite. Like Guy said, stick with your strengths. I wonder to of Perron is in the mix by the end of camp for a top 6 roll.

But 1 injury to Mac and suddenly we are think up front. They may have over evaluated macs impact on the team, even if he was healthy it might of taken him 20 games to get his bearings and he may if played abut tentative. He's a big lose, but I think counting on him for 50 points and a return to form was a stretch.

But the new Sens philosophy is transparency. Dorions appraoch to the media is very different from Murray. Him and Guy are way more open and honest, so this won't be the 4 year search for a top 6 forward that Murray was on that never happened. If they say they want to make a move, they'll do it right away.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury

Doubt it. The team is paying for Ryan, Stone, Hoffman and MacArthur to play on the wings in the top 6.

Even if you take Mac and his salary out of the equation, I doubt that acquiring another high end/highly paid winger is their plans moving forward. That's just too much money on the wingers.

Locking up another high priced winger would virtually ensure that one or more of our wingers would have to be traded, especially when you consider the pay raise that Stone will be getting in the near future, along with guys like Pageau, Karlsson and Turris.

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
We already have Stone and Hoffman as top end wingers. Then there is Ryan who is a first line winger for the first 40 games of the year :D.

The team needs a 2LW. Not an elite guy. Basically another MacArthur (if he is done). Someone who is solid, doesn't cost too much, and compliments Brassard and Ryan.

As much as people talk about a prospect stepping up, Smith might be the main benefactor of this Mac injury. Smith is in his contract year, had an (unsustainable) 25 goals last year, and was previously set to be given third line time. If Smith wins the 2LW spot and puts up anywhere close to 20 goals or 40 points, he might be in line to get a Beleskey type contract from someone.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Gaudreau is the Flames most valuable asset, they're not trading him unless Karlsson is coming back.

Burke has made some brutal brutal hockey trades, so I wouldn't put it by him trading what he would consider a small player.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Burke has made some brutal brutal hockey trades, so I wouldn't put it by him trading what he would consider a small player.

Burke isn't the GM, but even if he was, small players are more effective in today's game then they used to be. Gaudreau is a special player, and you don't trade guys like that.

Also, did you miss the fact that Calgary addressed their goaltending issues by getting Brian Elliott?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad