2016 Top 25 Under 25: Submit your ballot

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Colorado-Avalanche-2015-16-Season-Preview-660x330.jpg

Between the our early offseason excitement of the playoffs, draft lottery and the World Championships, thought it would be a good chance to try this out. I'm borrowing the idea from BSN Avalanche who will be releasing their own 25 under 25 list shortly but also we had talked about doing something like this and to restrict our prospect polls list more, which will happen after the draft in July.

No polls for this one, just post here or PM me your "ballot" list of 25. I'll tally them up and post a consensus within a week or two, we'll see how it goes. Rules are simple, any current Avalanche property who has not had their 25th birthday by September 15th, 2016 is eligible. This includes all unsigned prospects or players without a contract for next season. I understand not knowing if they will be back might factor in to their value but the idea is to get a snapshot of current ranking going into the offseason.

Notable exemptions who are already 25 or will be before the cutoff: Duchene, Barrie, Gelinas, Martinsen, Agozzino.

Easy way to check for players on the NHL Roster and AHL/Prospects

Thanks in advance for participating, I'm anxious to see how this turns out!​

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
1-Mackinnon 2-Landeskog 3-Rantanen 4-Bigras 5-Meloche 6-Zadorov 7-Pickard 8-Grigorenko 9-Beaudin 10-Compher 11-Martin 12-Greer 13-Geertsen 14-Mironov 15-Siemens 16-Nantel 17-Gormley 18-Everberg 19-Boikov 20-Butcher 21-Henley 22-Bourke 23-Hishon 24-Aittokallio 25-Rendulic

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Mack
Landy
Rantanen
Bigras
Pickard
Grigorenko
Meloche
Zadorov
Compher
Mironov
Greer
Beaudin
Boikov
Nantel
Martin
Butcher
Siemens
Rendulic
Geertsen
Pepin
Everberg
Gormley
Hishon
Henley
Lindholm

EDIT: Adding a list of 25 after reading about the tally up and stuff.

Last edited:

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
1-Mackinnon 2-Landeskog 3-Rantanen 4-Bigras 5-Meloche 6-Zadorov 7-Pickard 8-Grigorenko 9-Beaudin 10-Compher 11-Martin 12-Greer 13-Geertsen 14-Mironov 15-Siemens 16-Nantel 17-Gormley 18-Everberg 19-Boikov 20-Butcher 21-Henley 22-Bourke 23-Hishon 24-Aittokallio 25-Rendulic

Meloche over Zadorov, and Beaudin over Compher stand out the most here.

If you are doing that based off of pure potential, shouldn't Mikko be higher than Landeskog? Two way ability and higher offensive potential combined?

Mack
Landy
Rantanen
Bigras
Pickard
Grigorenko
Meloche
Zadorov
Compher
Mironov
Greer
Beaudin
Boikov
Nantel
Martin
Butcher
Siemens
Rendulic
Geertsen
Pepin
Everberg
Gormley
Hishon
Henley
Lindholm

EDIT: Adding a list of 25 after reading about the tally up and stuff.

I'll be interested to see how many others have Meloche over Zadorov, two so far is more than I expected. Not really surprised with Bigras because of his hockey IQ.

MacK
Mikko
Landeskog
Grigorenko
Zadorov
Bigras
Pickard
Meloche
Compher
10th O/A (Hehe)
Mironvov
Greer
Boikov
Beaudin
Martin
Butcher
Siemens
Everberg
Nantel
Geertsen
Hishon
Lindholm
Pepin
Bourke
Henley

---
Aittokallio

Last edited:

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Meloche over Zadorov, and Beaudin over Compher stand out the most here.

If you are doing that based off of pure potential, shouldn't Mikko be higher than Landeskog? Two way ability and higher offensive potential combined?

I'll be interested to see how many others have Meloche over Zadorov, two so far is more than I expected. Not really surprised with Bigras because of his hockey IQ.

Everyone is free to do their list how they want but I do a combo of potential and present output, to me I see it as who I'd value more in a trade right now. So I do think Landy goes above Rantanen.

I'll post my list when we get a few more entries but I do not have Bigras over Zadorov. I have Beaudin over Compher too, the latter is closer to the NHL for sure but he's not there yet and Beaudin is underrated.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Everyone is free to do their list how they want but I do a combo of potential and present output, to me I see it as who I'd value more in a trade right now. So I do think Landy goes above Rantanen.

I'll post my list when we get a few more entries but I do not have Bigras over Zadorov. I have Beaudin over Compher too, the latter is closer to the NHL for sure but he's not there yet and Beaudin is underrated.

10th OA is in play right? I mean...

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Mackinnon
Landeskog
Rantanen
Bigras
Pickard
Zadorov
Grigorenko
Meloche
Compher
Beaudin
Mironov
Boikov
Greer
Nantel
Everberg
Martin
Butcher
Siemens
Rendulic
Pepin
Bourke
Geertsen
Hishon
Henley
Lindholm

Tweaky

Solid #2
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2009
Singapore/Thailand
Mackinnon
Landeskog
Pickard
Zadorov
Grigorenko
Bigras
Rantanen
Compher
Meloche
Beaudin
Greer
Mironov
Butcher
Everberg
Rendulic
Nantel
Boikov
Martin
Siemens
Geertsen
Bourke
Lindholm
Hishon
Pepin
Henley

Hard to keep a consistent methodology throughout the list. My list would have been different a couple days ago, just like it will be different next week.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Mackinnon
Landeskog
Zadorov
Rantanen
Bigras
Grigorenko
Pickard
Meloche
Compher
Greer
Martin
Boikov
Beaudin
Siemens
Gormley
Nantel
Geertsen
Mironov
Rendulic
Hishon
Everberg
Pepin
Lindholm
Butcher
Bourke

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
They could still get rid of it, you never know and depends who it is, but sure go ahead. Could you make it a list of 26 then to help my ocd for when I tally it up?

I did lol (post #4 has 26 with Attio), what's interesting to me is the idea of where that player might fall considering who is likely to be available. I didn't really factor in someone falling to us though.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I did lol (post #4 has 26 with Attio), what's interesting to me is the idea of where that player might fall considering who is likely to be available. I didn't really factor in someone falling to us though.

Sorry, I didn't see you had edited. I expect #10 to fall in line above Pickard or higher. Depends who it is of course but that's the level of talent they should be.

Last edited:

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
I just submitted my list to BSN. Granted, they've got some different qualifications I believe (including putting more emphasis on players closer to the NHL), but this was my list:

1) MacKinnon
2) Landeskog
3) Rantanen
4) Zadorov
5) Pickard
6) Bigras
7) Grigorenko
8) Compher
9) Meloche
10) Beudin
11) Siemens
12) Martin
13) Everberg
14) Geertsen
15) Butcher
16) Mironov
17) Greer
18) Nantel
19) Rendulic
20) Gormley
21) Henley
22) Boikov
23) Aittokallio
24) Beck
25) Hishon

Once you get past 9 or 10, I feel like anything goes, and a lot of those guys probably won't become much. The lists with Meloche over Zadorov and Pickard have me seriously scratching my head.

Last edited:

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis

I'm just not very high on Zadorov myself still. Didn't see anything out of him in his time in the NHL last year that leads me to believe he can figure everything out. I know a lot of people thought they saw something in him but I didn't. Lots of turnovers and poor decisions both times he was in the NHL, and unlike Bigras he's not the greatest skater nor does he think the game at the level Bigras does to help himself recover from those mistakes.

Hopefully I'm wrong. But right now I dont see him being anything more then a middle pairing guy. While Meloche has all the tools to be more then that for us.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
MacKinnon
Landeskog
Bigras
Rantanen
Zadorov
Pickard
Meloche
Compher
Martin
Mironov
Grigorenko
Beaudin
Nantel
Geertsen
Boikov
Greer
Butcher
Everberg
Henley
Siemens
Pepin
Rendulic
Aittokallio
Lindholm
Hishon

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I'm just not very high on Zadorov myself still. Didn't see anything out of him in his time in the NHL last year that leads me to believe he can figure everything out. I know a lot of people thought they saw something in him but I didn't. Lots of turnovers and poor decisions both times he was in the NHL, and unlike Bigras he's not the greatest skater nor does he think the game at the level Bigras does to help himself recover from those mistakes.

Hopefully I'm wrong. But right now I dont see him being anything more then a middle pairing guy. While Meloche has all the tools to be more then that for us.

The physical tools put it over the top really, some guys only really have to be smart enough to put those tools to good use. Others have to rely much more heavily on their intelligence to overcome some aspects of their physical attributes.

I think Bigras has a higher ceiling in say 3 to five years, but Zadorov can hit an acceptable top pair level sooner because of that.

While Bigras is extremely intelligent, he does have to both get stronger and figure out how to best use his intelligence when his strength isn't enough. A big part of that will be trial and error combined with experience. He's much more likely to learn from his mistakes quicker.

Zadorov will probably make a lot of the same mistakes without adjusting quickly, but he has less to fight through.

You kind of see it in the steady development of someone like Suter, or OEL, guys that are not physically imposing but we're smart enough to be in the NHL early and steadily improved to a top level through experience early in their careers.

I still think Bigras has every bit of a chance to end up like Suter or Martin. Zadorov will probably be ahead of him for at least another two years imo. It should be interesting to see if Bigras can get a bit stronger, because if he does he could probably be a great partner for Barrie. I think him not being physically imposing is the only reason he hasn't played with Barrie already.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
The physical tools put it over the top really, some guys only really have to be smart enough to put those tools to good use. Others have to rely much more heavily on their intelligence to overcome some aspects of their physical attributes.

I think Bigras has a higher ceiling in say 3 to five years, but Zadorov can hit an acceptable top pair level sooner because of that.

While Bigras is extremely intelligent, he does have to both get stronger and figure out how to best use his intelligence when his strength isn't enough. A big part of that will be trial and error combined with experience. He's much more likely to learn from his mistakes quicker.

Zadorov will probably make a lot of the same mistakes without adjusting quickly, but he has less to fight through.

You kind of see it in the steady development of someone like Suter, or OEL, guys that are not physically imposing but we're smart enough to be in the NHL early and steadily improved to a top level through experience early in their careers.

I still think Bigras has every bit of a chance to end up like Suter or Martin. Zadorov will probably be ahead of him for at least another two years imo. It should be interesting to see if Bigras can get a bit stronger, because if he does he could probably be a great partner for Barrie. I think him not being physically imposing is the only reason he hasn't played with Barrie already.

See for me I think Bigras is already easily the better of the 2 and the gap between them will only get bigger as they mature. Bigras will continue to take leaps forward while Zadorov continues to struggle.

I think Bigras can absolutely reach a Suter/Vlasic level. But I don't see Zadorov reaching his respective ceiling.

Tweaky

Solid #2
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2009
Singapore/Thailand
Not sure what you guys were watching, but Zadorov looked better than Bigras despite more minutes, less sheltering and tougher competition. He did have the advantage of better partners, but when you are up against Kane or Toews, having EJ as a partner is little consolation compared to Redmond helping you defend against Desjardins or Mashinter.

Bigras looked smarter most of the time, but he had a ton more time (on average) to make plays that made him look smart. Zadorov may not have the same level of hockey IQ, but his physical skills more than made up for it this year. And I feel they give him a slightly higher ceiling as well. It might be extremely optimistic on my part, but I could see them developing into a pairing not unlike Suter and Weber. One has the bulk of the tools, the other one has the brain. Not to say that Zads is dumb, or that Bigras has no tools...each is sufficiently equipped in those areas, but each excels in areas that the other is merely adequate (or above average, not exceptional).

Iceberg

May 4, 2002
Not sure what you guys were watching, but Zadorov looked better than Bigras despite more minutes, less sheltering and tougher competition. He did have the advantage of better partners, but when you are up against Kane or Toews, having EJ as a partner is little consolation compared to Redmond helping you defend against Desjardins or Mashinter.

Bigras looked smarter most of the time, but he had a ton more time (on average) to make plays that made him look smart. Zadorov may not have the same level of hockey IQ, but his physical skills more than made up for it this year. And I feel they give him a slightly higher ceiling as well. It might be extremely optimistic on my part, but I could see them developing into a pairing not unlike Suter and Weber. One has the bulk of the tools, the other one has the brain. Not to say that Zads is dumb, or that Bigras has no tools...each is sufficiently equipped in those areas, but each excels in areas that the other is merely adequate (or above average, not exceptional).

He didn't play with EJ.

CB Joe

Oct 12, 2008
1 Mackinnon
2 Landeskog
3 Rantanen
4 Pickard
5 Bigras
6 Zadorov
7 Compher
8 Grigorenko
9 Meloche
10 Beaudin
11 Greer
12 Martin
13 Mironov
14 Aittokallio
15 Siemens
16 Gormley
17 Rendulic
18 Butcher
19 Nantel
20 Boikov
21 Pepin
22 Geertsen
23 Henley
24 Bourke
25 Lindholm

I didn't include Hishon and Everberg as they are pretty much guaranteed to end up in Europe next season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad