Transfer: 2016 Summer Transfer Window

Status
Not open for further replies.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I don't think Schmelzer will leave. I like the Zielinski to 'pool rumor. I think he'd be very good as a central midfielder for Klopp.

Not directly related to this, but has Hector been playing midfield recently? Any reason for the switch?

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
How are LFC supposed to attract Xhaka or Rabiot? You can have Sam as long as you're willing to pay his salary; but you're not getting top young mids from CL sides who have bigger and better clubs interested in them.

Money, bigger league and like I said Klopp.

It won't last forever, but he's as big of a manager as they've had and probably is one of the two or three most known (that are employed presently).

It won't work for everyone but it does offer them an opportunity to make a pitch to top level players this summer.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
Fair points.

Why is Reus name mentioned on here? I haven't followed BVB this year but 2nd in the table comfortably and Reus is a fan favorite.

Reus is paid far more than anyone on BVB since his contract renewal and at least five players have vastly outperformed him this season. I'm happy to have him on the team for his own play, but he's nowhere near the player right now that they should be breaking their wage structure for. I won't be happy at all if less popular but far better players like Gündogan and Mkhi get sold and management cites insufficient funds.

I doubt Reus will leave though.

Not directly related to this, but has Hector been playing midfield recently? Any reason for the switch?

They bought another LB in the winter window and had an injury problem in midfield I think. Not sure if he'll stay there.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
The bigger issue in the case of selling Reus or Shinji is that both of them are fan favorites, and Zorc/Watzke pander to the fans in their transfer dealings. I'm not sure if Shinji's recent bad form has been just a result of being thrown off by his illness or symptomatic of a deeper misfit in Tuchel's side. IMO Ginter, Subotic, Reus, Ramos, and Castro should or will be strong transfer candidates in the summer. I have some doubts about Sokratis and Shinji too. I'm not sure how much money is tied up in Sahin, but he should be a candidate too if he can't stay healthy, even though he has been good recently and Tuchel rates him.

Exactly what I was getting at and why I'm skeptical they'd actually sell either Reus or Kagawa, unless Shinji just can't fit in again and the fanbase turns on him. Sahin doesn't seem like someone they'll move, though I agree with the rest of your list.

Can't help but feel like they'll keep Sokratis around if they're selling Subotic, even with Sven's transition to CB and extension; and I just can't get a firm grasp on how TT feels about Ginter. With the way he's used him it seems like he likes Ginter as a talent, but has been searching for a spot to best make use of him. So does that make him more likely to stick around as a depth option for TT to keep tinkering with, or has he been using him this way because he needs to figure out if he's worth keeping.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I already spoke of what players I thought were available to Liverpool. With that in mind if we're going to talk about potential targets with some wishful thinking?

Promes/Herrmann/Boufal, Oczipka/Schmelzer/Hector, Leno/Horn/Anyone and Pjanic/Stendera/Jorginho.

Could probably use a legitimate goal scoring forward since Sturridge isn't reliable and hasn't looked great since his return from injury anyway, tbh.

Herrmann I can see both as a fit for the player/club, and as a realistic option; but I dunno if Stendera has the legs to press for Klopp. Nor should he move to a club like LFC at this point. He still needs regular PT in the first league and he'll have a hard time being an everyday starter at a club aiming for the CL, with the money for depth. Nevermind having to adjust to a new country and league.

Money, bigger league and like I said Klopp.

It won't last forever, but he's as big of a manager as they've had and probably is one of the two or three most known (that are employed presently).

It won't work for everyone but it does offer them an opportunity to make a pitch to top level players this summer.

Money won't get you Rabiot, and if Xhaka's ready to make a big money move you'll get out bid by bigger, richer, and more appealing clubs. I agree Klopp helps you're recruiting pitch, but he doesn't put you up their with the big CL regulars.

Fair points.

Why is Reus name mentioned on here? I haven't followed BVB this year but 2nd in the table comfortably and Reus is a fan favorite.

What DM said. Other players are more important in TT's style of play and/or are thriving more; so they could be tempted to take his salary off of their books with a crazy enough offer, and he's one guy that Klopp will be a massive factor for given their pre-existing relationship.

Last edited:

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
Exactly what I was getting at and why I'm skeptical they'd actually sell either Reus or Kagawa, unless Shinji just can't fit in again and the fanbase turns on him. Sahin doesn't seem like someone they'll move, though I agree with the rest of your list.

Can't help but feel like they'll keep Sokratis around if they're selling Subotic, even with Sven's transition to CB and extension; and I just can't get a firm grasp on how TT feels about Ginter. With the way he's used him it seems like he likes Ginter as a talent, but has been searching for a spot to best make use of him. So does that make him more likely to stick around as a depth option for TT to keep tinkering with, or has he been using him this way because he needs to figure out if he's worth keeping.

Yeah, Tuchel's fascination with Ginter is a bit odd. There are many matches where he looks ok, but it's absolutely dependent on the structure and the rest of the team. He'll never be the decisive figure that Hummels is. If Zorc and Watzke are truly committed to Tuchel (and I think he'll stick around for a few years), they should sell several of those players and replace them with more technically proficient/more patient/smarter options. It's not even a question of getting them to spend more net money; it's just finding more appropriate alternatives at similar prices. Ginter simply doesn't fit in anywhere.

As for Sokratis, he's at least a very strong dribbler, unlike Subotic, even if it would be preferable in a possession-oriented team to have two very capable ball-playing center backs. I have found Sven far better there than him this season, but they definitely need more than Sven+Hummels as options. I wonder if Merino will get time as a center back eventually.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
A lot of people are going to be upset if this is true:

Aymeric Laporte agrees deal to join Manchester City [manchestereveningnews.co.uk]

Pep making his moves early.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Yep, rumors here is that Pep made him his main target after Varane.

Last edited:

Power Man

Grrrr
Sep 30, 2008
221B Baker Street
Yep, rumors here is that Pepe made him his main target after Varane.

latest

Jeffrey

Feb 2, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
I fully expect City to spend over £200m this summer.

Not winning the tittle is unacceptable for them and they have Pep who likes to have his own players around.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
At this rate they may not even be in the CL next season which would certainly be interesting for Pep.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
That's a bit presumptuous.

It may be, but it is what it is. Pep's taking over the most talented team in a weak EPL, and he'll have a serious budget to bring in his guys on top of that. I'll be utterly shocked if they don't win the league, and by a comfortable margin.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
That source is quoting Sport, so it's most likely not true.

Yeah, I read that a week ago...didn't even bother to mention it. How would a barca paper know, that a French Basque player signed a pre contract with an English team. Seems far fetched and even if they did, they'd still have to go to war with Bilbao.

It may be, but it is what it is. Pep's taking over the most talented team in a weak EPL, and he'll have a serious budget to bring in his guys on top of that. I'll be utterly shocked if they don't win the league, and by a comfortable margin.

Agreed.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin

I don't think City even need to make any signings. Of course they will, but I think City would be topping the league right now were Pep the manager.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I'm not making bets as I would have City as the favourites myself, but I think you'll see that it's not going to be as easy as winning the league with Barcelona or walking into Germany and winning with Bayern.

With Chelsea on Conte, United on Mourinho, Liverpool on Klopp while Leicester will certainly build on their squad and Pochettino continues to impress as a manager with a talented squad only growing more together the EPL will be very tight next season. That doesn't even include Arsenal if they ever decide to actually buy in positions of need (one CM and one CB would make them just as dangerous to the title as any team in the PL). As well all of the mid and lower table teams still have a ton of money and some of them have up and coming managers as well to make it more difficult.

I'm looking forward to it, but Pep winning the PL in his first season is far from a foregone conclusion.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I'm not making bets as I would have City as the favourites myself, but I think you'll see that it's not going to be as easy as winning the league with Barcelona or walking into Germany and winning with Bayern.

Well sure, Citeh isn't as talented as Bayern or Barca were. But he'll still run away with that league pretty quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad