Transfer: 2016 Summer Transfer Window

Status
Not open for further replies.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
With the Chinese window over, let's talk about the Summer!

Let's try to have use some good sources (maybe use the authors name or God forbid a quote) and get off on the right foot.

To start it off here are some cliff notes from Tony Barrett on Liverpool:

- Christian Benteke turned down a move to China. His place is not secure.

- Simon Mignolet will have strong competition brought in. Klopp was a fan but it looks like the honeymoon period is ending

- Klopp has been given the green light for a summer overhaul. Top targets are Gotze, Zielinski and Chilwell.

BONUS

- David Maddock from the Mirror says that Liverpool will at least see if they have a chance on Reus. Maddock also mentioned Liverpool is monitoring Gotze.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
Wonder how much Liverpool would offer for Reus. He's probably worth a lot more to someone else than he is to Tuchel's team, and his fee and salary could be put to better use. Doubt he'd want to leave for pool though.

ManU, Leverkusen, and Dortmund are all after Johannes Eggestein according to the Weser Kurier.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Wonder how much Liverpool would offer for Reus. He's probably worth a lot more to someone else than he is to Tuchel's team, and his fee and salary could be put to better use. Doubt he'd want to leave for pool though.

ManU, Leverkusen, and Dortmund are all after Johannes Eggestein according to the Weser Kurier.

Jamie Carragher was banging the drum for Reus recently as well. Obviously he would be an incredible fit, but a lot would need to happen to get him here.

Wouldn't it be nice to reunite Reus and Gotze with Klopp at Anfield.

Sigh.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
Jamie Carragher was banging the drum for Reus recently as well. Obviously he would be an incredible fit, but a lot would need to happen to get him here.

Wouldn't it be nice to reunite Reus and Gotze with Klopp at Anfield.

Sigh.

I was thinking more along the lines of Reus to pool with the typical EPL inflation and Götze on a discount back to Dortmund. :D

The latter has no chance of happening sadly.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Çalhanoğlu should be the top target, whatever the cost. We need quality in central midfield, in addition to somebody who can hit a corner and take a free kick. It's a no-brainer.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I think Goetze's gone. I hope its to Barcelona where he can take over the Iniesta role since Iniesta's getting older and probably doesn't have more than another two or three seasons at the level he's currently at.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
Çalhanoğlu should be the top target, whatever the cost. We need quality in central midfield, in addition to somebody who can hit a corner and take a free kick. It's a no-brainer.

Doubt he'll leave if Leverkusen get to the top 4 as expected.

I think Goetze's gone. I hope its to Barcelona where he can take over the Iniesta role since Iniesta's getting older and probably doesn't have more than another two or three seasons at the level he's currently at.

Barca are apparently not going after a (costly) midfielder next summer though.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
Hope Liverpool goes after Zieler by the way. Should be fairly cheap when Hannover is relegated, and he's an excellent keeper.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Hope Liverpool goes after Zieler by the way. Should be fairly cheap when Hannover is relegated, and he's an excellent keeper.

David Maddock came back and mentioned Klopp is looking at Leno, Fahrmann and Hitz.

Zieler and Karius had been previous linked for a while.

And you have the newer links to ter Stegen and Horn.

So basically everyone.

I will say if ter Stegen was available for 20m, Liverpool was very dumb not to give Barca some of the money that Liverpool had budgeted to send to the Ukraine.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013

Hearing that Barca may be eventually planning on shifting Messi into the Iniesta role, and getting another forward.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I could see Messi moving deeper. He's good enough.

Really interested in Horn and Leno. Obviously quite interested in Gotze and Reus as well. Let's see how it turns out. Gotze I think might be more far fetched for this summer with a new manager coming in and his age/talent. I think Reus is possible if he doesn't quite fit in with Tuchel, but that's a long shot too.

Thank god the "honey moon period" is over with Mignolet. He's cost us far too much already.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I could see Messi moving deeper. He's good enough.

Really interested in Horn and Leno. Obviously quite interested in Gotze and Reus as well. Let's see how it turns out. Gotze I think might be more far fetched for this summer with a new manager coming in and his age/talent. I think Reus is possible if he doesn't quite fit in with Tuchel, but that's a long shot too.

Thank god the "honey moon period" is over with Mignolet. He's cost us far too much already.

Well I will believe them dumping Mignolet when I see it. I have never been a big Leno guy, and I don't love Horn either. Leno is probably the best option besides ter Stegen though, who they should have gotten in January when no one else was bidding. Obviously all of them are upgrades.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
Moving older Messi deeper is an obvious decision.

I don't see Leno, Fährmann, or ter Stegen as at all likely targets for Liverpool. Zieler is probably in the same class as Leno and Fährmann. Really well-rounded keeper with an excellent passing game to boot. Horn is a great talent too but IDK about him transferring either. Again, all of them are a lot better than Mignolet.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
Why wouldn't Ter-Stegen leave? You think he only wants to play 15 games per season?

Bravo will be 33 in 6 weeks and he's not exactly Buffon...

And yes, I think MAtS would rather play 15 Champions League and cup matches for Barca per season than 40 with Liverpool. If he does choose to move, he'll have better options than Liverpool.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Bravo will be 33 in 6 weeks and he's not exactly Buffon...

And yes, I think MAtS would rather play 15 Champions League and cup matches for Barca per season than 40 with Liverpool. If he does choose to move, he'll have better options than Liverpool.

I am not a fan of the "better options than Liverpool" narrative.

All that matters is who wants you and if you want to play there.

I don't see where the better option for him either honestly.

If he is a gamer he won't want to warn the bench. And frankly if he wants to warm the bench I don't what him.

Barca can easily replace him and Bravo isn't going anywhere. He is still the best goalie in la liga.

As for Zieler, I am too traumatized by Mignoley to roll the dice on another keeper coming from that low in the table.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
I am not a fan of the "better options than Liverpool" narrative.

All that matters is who wants you and if you want to play there.

Fine. We're just speculating on what players want anyway. It's usually fair to speculate that a player will prefer to play for a prestigious club with CL matches over a struggling club without them.

If he is a gamer he won't want to warn the bench. And frankly if he wants to warm the bench I don't what him.
:rolleyes: Yet you want Götze, who effectively chose to warm the bench much of the time at Bayern instead of being a clear first choice at Dortmund.

Barca can easily replace him and Bravo isn't going anywhere. He is still the best goalie in la liga.

Barca can easily replace him? Really? There are an excess of keepers as talented and suited to Barca's style as ter Stegen? Barca seem not to want to spend a ton of money on a non-attacker. They didn't buy ter Stegen to discard him two years later. They bought him as their long-term option.

As for Zieler, I am too traumatized by Mignoley to roll the dice on another keeper coming from that low in the table.

What does the team's position in the table have to do with the quality of the keeper? Mignolet is a deeply flawed keeper; Zieler isn't.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Fine. We're just speculating on what players want anyway. It's usually fair to speculate that a player will prefer to play for a prestigious club with CL matches over a struggling club without them.

:rolleyes: Yet you want Götze, who effectively chose to warm the bench much of the time at Bayern instead of being a clear first choice at Dortmund.

Barca can easily replace him? Really? There are an excess of keepers as talented and suited to Barca's style as ter Stegen? Barca seem not to want to spend a ton of money on a non-attacker. They didn't buy ter Stegen to discard him two years later. They bought him as their long-term option.

What does the team's position in the table have to do with the quality of the keeper? Mignolet is a deeply flawed keeper; Zieler isn't.

Which club does ter Stegen start at that fulfills that criteria?

I don't think Gotze would have went to Bayern if he knew he was going to be warming the bench. Wasn't he Guardiola's first signing, and specifically asked for? I think that was a unique situation in some ways.

Barca have the resources to sign basically whomever they want. There is no reason they can't realistically can make a play for De Gea for example. Barca can always buy a goalie. They are also very high on Masip.

Table position isn't a be all end all, but I would like a keeper who has been in, and preferably knows how to win big games. I can't speak on Zieler's mentality and he is an upgrade for sure, but I like someone coming from a winner. I don't know if I am explaining this part right I'm not finding the right words but hopefully you understand what I mean.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
Which club does ter Stegen start at that fulfills that criteria?

I don't think Gotze would have went to Bayern if he knew he was going to be warming the bench. Wasn't he Guardiola's first signing, and specifically asked for? I think that was a unique situation in some ways.

Barca have the resources to sign basically whomever they want. There is no reason they can't realistically can make a play for De Gea for example. Barca can always buy a goalie. They are also very high on Masip.

Table position isn't a be all end all, but I would like a keeper who has been in, and preferably knows how to win big games. I can't speak on Zieler's mentality and he is an upgrade for sure, but I like someone coming from a winner. I don't know if I am explaining this part right I'm not finding the right words but hopefully you understand what I mean.

ter Stegen has been playing regularly for two years at Barca, which is too long to wait for a position where players last longer and transfer more rarely than other positions. Götze is in year 3 of being an occasional option at Bayern, but that's not too long to wait to transfer for more playing time. Ok.

No, he wasn't Guardiola's wish. Guardiola wanted Neymar and Bayern gave him Götze instead.

Barca don't have the resources to sign anyone they want. If they want a player badly enough, maybe, but they don't have unlimited money like some clubs.

You're vastly overrating the importance of a competitive attitude in a player in relation to his peers and other clubs. Being on an awful team does not put you at a higher risk of having a permanently bad attitude. Dortmund bought a goalie from a relegated club last summer and he has been excellent. Hertha bought a midfielder who has been the key to their surprising top 4 position from the same relegated club. Mignolet's attitude isn't the problem...

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Skill, organizing defense, and ability to bounce back from mistakes are the only things that should be evaluated when looking at a goalkeeper.

There is no reason for Liverpool to sign MATS given the cost and availability of alternative keepers out there.

Mignolet's problem has nothing to do with his attitude. He has soft hands, poor agility, and mediocre reflexes. It is hard for me to believe he has always had this kind of trouble saving balls struck at ground level, it's very unusual for that to be a goalkeeper's worse trait, but if it's struck underneath his legs or to his side and near the ground, he has difficulty reaching the ball.

Mignolet has nothing wrong with his head, he bounced back great from his mistake yesterday and made some good saves, but once again the mistake was because of poor agility.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
ter Stegen has been playing regularly for two years at Barca, which is too long to wait for a position where players last longer and transfer more rarely than other positions. Götze is in year 3 of being an occasional option at Bayern, but that's not too long to wait to transfer for more playing time. Ok.

No, he wasn't Guardiola's wish. Guardiola wanted Neymar and Bayern gave him Götze instead.

Barca don't have the resources to sign anyone they want. If they want a player badly enough, maybe, but they don't have unlimited money like some clubs.

You're vastly overrating the importance of a competitive attitude in a player in relation to his peers and other clubs. Being on an awful team does not put you at a higher risk of having a permanently bad attitude. Dortmund bought a goalie from a relegated club last summer and he has been excellent. Hertha bought a midfielder who has been the key to their surprising top 4 position from the same relegated club. Mignolet's attitude isn't the problem...

You're first point is fair, but again Gotze as a childhood fan may have wanted to try to make it work. I also hadn't heard of him being available until whispers last year. I did think he was a personal Guardiola's request but you know better than me.

Don't make Barca out as being skint though. There are at most 6 teams that can outspend them (City, PSG, Chelsea, United, Bayern and Madrid) and Barca probably has more curb appeal than arguably all of them. Ter Stegen is the opposite of irreplaceable.

I do believe in certain intangibles for goalies though, and I have no sample size to say Zieler would be any different to Mignolet. Rodgers was criticized for bringing in players that hadn't performed at the highest levels and it's come back to bite them. I don't want to take a risk on a keeper. They can't get it wrong Again.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
You're first point is fair, but again Gotze as a childhood fan may have wanted to try to make it work. I also hadn't heard of him being available until whispers last year. I did think he was a personal Guardiola's request but you know better than me.

Don't make Barca out as being skint though. There are at most 6 teams that can outspend them (City, PSG, Chelsea, United, Bayern and Madrid) and Barca probably has more curb appeal than arguably all of them. Ter Stegen is the opposite of irreplaceable.

I do believe in certain intangibles for goalies though, and I have no sample size to say Zieler would be any different to Mignolet. Rodgers was criticized for bringing in players that hadn't performed at the highest levels and it's come back to bite them. I don't want to take a risk on a keeper. They can't get it wrong Again.

I'd think it would have been more concerning that Rodgers just for the most part didn't bring in quality players, and was mediocre at managing them. Like LITN I don't believe in intangibles, at least not "heart", "soul", "attitude", and the like.

I do think ter Stegen is an exceptional talent with great reflexes, movement, and ball-stopping, in addition to being probably the most technically gifted and best passing keeper in the world already (which Barca clearly prefers in their keepers). Maybe he's not an undisputed top 10 keeper at the moment, but he certainly has the potential to be one of the very best. Not irreplaceable, but not very easily replaced either.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Attitude only applies to players like Balotelli who would rather be doing something other than playing football with 10 teammates in the first place.

It doesn't matter where the player comes from if they're good. Liverpool has found great keepers from the NASL/Zimbabwe and Scunthorpe United, and they've found them from Barcelona/Villarreal. Makes no difference. Liverpool simply needs to stop paying a lot of money for players that are not that good. I can't even figure out what kind of attributes they're analyzing and looking for when they pick some of these signings. With Klopp it's a bit more clear. Taller players, athletes, physically imposing with the first two players (Grujic, Matip). Both good in the air.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad