2016 Rio Olympics | Team USA Discussion

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
Well, the dirty american reputation is alive and well. I'm embarrassed. Lochte is a lying ******* and I hope he does get extradited to Brazil.

Cody Webster

Jul 18, 2014
USA Swimming has also released its first public statement.

Executive Director Chuck Wielgus: "The last five days have been difficult for our USA Swimming and United States Olympic families. While we are thankful our athletes are safe, we do not do condone the lapse in judgment and conduct that led us to this point. "It is not representative of what is expected as Olympians, as Americans, as swimmers and as individuals. That this is drawing attention away from Team USA's incredible accomplishments in the water and by other athletes across be Olympic Games is upsetting." The statement concludes by thanking the USOC, Department of State and US Consulate General throughout the process. It adds there will be a thorough review of the incident to determine any further actions

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
People are moving on this pretty fast. Did you expect the guys that were stuck behind unable to travel not to comply with whatever was presented?

I mean people do remember 24 hours ago that the Brazilian police were also saying they weren't even in a taxi correct?

I think there is a lost in translation and an embarrassment over what they did. But honestly watch the video what happens. They are taken out of a taxi after getting in... The are on the ground with hands raised and the Brazilian police even admits a weapon was brandished to keep the situation calm. Telling you the video that is meant to condemn these guys actually sounds like their drunken recollections of being forced out of a cab and forced to hand over money.

Yes that would be restitution for the damage they allegedly caused to the inside of the gas station. But could you not see why not the brightest bulb in the shed thought hey they forced me to pay them against my will before I left. I guess we will see, I have a feeling because of the national/international magnitude that they will be advised not to speak on it. But where exactly does this story go if the swimmers once allowed to leave the country maintain they were victims. Guess that angle is being overlooked. Even if it seems like a longshot, Duke Lacrosse has made me a lot less quick to move one way or the other over the years now.

I just think people get caught up in having a definitive opinion on anything. Not sure the FBI investigation which we are told will happen is necessarily going to line up with Brazilian investigation, which is probably an important bookend to this conversation.

Given the likely criminal behavior of Lochte proceeding whatever happened he is disgraced either way in my opinion.

Last edited:

Hadoop

Aug 13, 2002
Mississauga
Whatever. Lochte's a tool.

USA up to 120 medals now (with the mens bball still in progress) :amazed: So much domination.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
121 is the final medal count. Was the U.S. supposed to be this good? I can't think of too many disappointments besides the women's soccer team and Serena in women's singles.

Tasty Biscuits

with fancy sauce
Aug 8, 2011
Pittsburgh
When SI did their medal prediction for every round it shook out to 118 total with 45 G, 34 S, 39 B. Pretty damn close to the final count of 121 with 46 G, 37 S, 38 B.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
Yep, the US dominated again as usual. It's a shame Lochte and to a lesser extent Solo cast a black mark on the games. Oh well, they are just bad people and hopefully won't be around for Tokyo.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
Congrats US for amazing Olympics. The true super-power in the summer games. It's a true testament to your devoted coaches and training systems.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...rops-ryan-lochte-after-rio-olympics-incident/

As expected, Lochte lost all 4 of his sponsors.

U.S. swimmer Ryan Lochte’s four commercial sponsors dropped the 12-time Olympic medal winner Monday in response to the incident eight days ago in which he falsely claimed he and three teammates had been held up by armed robbers at a Rio de Janeiro gas station.

The decisions by Speedo, Ralph Lauren, Airweave and Gentle Hair Removal came after Lochte admitted to “over-exaggerating” the armed-robbery claim, an assertion that overshadowed much of the second week of the Summer Olympics that concluded Sunday.

Well, he probably only has himself to blame. But that's a rough price to pay for being immature jerk.

shortshorts

Oct 29, 2008

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
His only jobs are to swim and not be an immature jerk. He deserves it.

Problem is people aren't really upset about him trashing the bathroom and peeing outside. Heck that isn't what the Brazilian Government is upset about.

The way this story has evolved is really interesting. What they did in the proceeding event is embarrassing. They committed vandalism and acted very immature.

But the fact remains what played out next is armed robbery. It is the very definition of it. They were removed from their cab and forced to pay money with a weapon brandished until they would be allowed to leave. I really don't understand how that is being ignored. That is also captured on tape. That is also not omitted in either Feigen's or Lochte's apology. They were still very much held at gun point until arbitrary restitution was made.

Feigen on top of that had to bribe his way out of the country with a ridiculous fee. Look at it whatever way you want, there are criminal codes for vandalism and public urination. What is being glossed over and over is the fact they were actually very much robbed by the standards of their home country and several other countries around the globe. What led to the events and omitting their previous activities is not good and they deserve public shaming. But the idea we should hand over Lochte for falsifying a police report... Um no that is what that is. No if they would like to charge him with vandalism or public urination... Well fine but that isn't something we deport people or offer up extradition for and nor should we in this example.

I think Lochte did the right thing apologizing long-term. But he didn't lie about being robbed, that is what happened to him and his teammates. If somebody breaks my tv I cannot pull a gun on them and demand money before they can leave... That is robbery at least it has been my entire life and it is in our judicial system. Why would the US extradite their citizen for a clear perversion of laws to make an example out of that citizen?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->