OT: 2016 Redskins Part XII: We don't need no stinkin' kicker SEAN MCVAY HIRED BY RAMS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ridley Simon

Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Chris Cooley said on the radio this morning that Cousins wants to be a Redskins. He just wants a commitment from the team that he is their franchise QB and a long term deal would do that. Cooley has a personal relationship with Cousins so its not speculations on Cooley's part.

Cousins asking for outrageous money just to get out of town doesn't seem likely but he can be insulted by a deal at or below the Osweiler deal, for example. Also, if negotiations break down, and the Skins have to tag Cousins again, then the outrageous money to get traded will be a real possibility next year.

Cousins has the leverage but the Skins control his rights for the next two years. Losing him for nothing is not possibility for two more years. So the Skins can explore trades if they feel they need to.

8 years for 148m. 64m guaranteed. That beats Osweilers contract in every manner, and shows Kirk long term commitment.

Again -- Do you think something like that is a poor offer?

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
8 years for 148m. 64m guaranteed. That beats Osweilers contract in every manner, and shows Kirk long term commitment.

Again -- Do you think something like that is a poor offer?

I don't think that is a poor offer. Then again I am not staring at the possibility of making 43mil garunteed in two years, 76mil guaranteed in 3 years and I am not looking to be treated like a franchise QB by an NFL organization. I'm not Kirk Cousins.

Ridley Simon

Feb 27, 2002
I don't think that is a poor offer. Then again I am not staring at the possibility of making 43mil garunteed in two years, 76mil guaranteed in 3 years and I am not looking to be treated like a franchise QB by an NFL organization. I'm not Kirk Cousins.

No chance he gets 32m in 18-19. Not unless he leads them to NFC Championship game or better.

I think he will get a contract for 6-8 years for 18-20m annually. With a huge amount guaranteed.

Sep 19, 2008
There really isn't anyone that excites me over Cousins. At the same time Cousins especially in 2 out of the last 3 games looked pretty mediocre and overrated. So again I don't care if they let him walk. Media (I think Kornheiser) has been adamant that they just franchise him again. Yeah it'll **** him off and he probably won't come back after that tag is done but whatever.

Bananas

Mar 26, 2007
The only player available even remotely as good as Cousins is Romo and he has a long history of injury and playoff failure. No thanks.

Garappolo is a clear downgrade.

The Skins are keeping Cousins. The only question is do they come up with something long term or do they use the tag on him again?

I'd say his last two big games bring his AAV down a smidge.

What else is good in Redskins land? Cousins talk is a moot point. He's staying put...

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
http://www.espn.com/blog/washington...nswer-but-would-deshaun-watson-tempt-redskins

Why they wouldn't:

The Redskins have plenty of cap space to work out a deal with Cousins and still improve the roster. Just because a deal might average, say, $24 million a year does not mean that’s what it will count right away -- and possibly not for a few years. So they’d be able to keep a quarterback who has produced in this offense, knowing what they can expect from him rather than grooming a rookie.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
Good post from Keim on Scherff and Moses:

“I tell him all the time, he thinks I’m playing, but I’m like, ‘Dude, you do all the work; I’m just a body standing beside you,’†Moses said. “From year one his rookie year and my second year -- my first year starting -- we’ve grown tremendously over the years. To have someone like that, it’s a blessing. He’s a good guy on and off field.â€

They even talked about going ice fishing together at some point this offseason (Scherff’s idea).

“Me and you on the ice together might be dangerous,†Moses said he told Scherff.

Regardless of any offseason activities, one reason the Redskins drafted Scherff fifth overall two years ago stemmed from his mindset and attitude; he fit the culture Washington wanted to build. It’s one the Redskins still are developing. But they don’t have to worry about this pairing.

http://www.espn.com/blog/washington...erm-pairing-with-morgan-moses-brandon-scherff

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
Liz Clarke has an article going over the different scenarios involved in Cousins upcoming contract situations. Scenario #3 is the one I think will likely play out:

Scenario No. 3 — If the two sides can’t agree on a long-term deal by Feb. 15, the Redskins prevent Cousins from going elsewhere by using the NFL’s exclusive franchise tag during the permissible window, Feb. 15 through March 1. The exclusive franchise tag prevents Cousins from negotiating with other teams while “buying time†for the Redskins and Cousins to reach a long-term deal by July 15.
Probability: High to middle. The exclusive franchise tag gives the Redskins the most control over the situation, while giving them roughly five months to keep working toward a long-term deal.

Scenario 3B — The Redskins and Cousins reach a long-term deal by the July 15 deadline, which replaces the exclusive franchise tag the moment Cousins signs it.
Probability: Middle. The Redskins’ top offer during the failed talks for a long-term deal in 2016 was $16 million annually, with $24 million guaranteed. Cousins sought $20 million annually and $60 million guaranteed. Neither side budged much, if at all. It’s logical to assume that in 2017, Cousins would seek a minimum annual salary of $24 million and a guarantee of $60 million or more in any long-term deal. Both sides would have to ‘give,’ in all likelihood, in order to reach a long-term deal this offseason.

Scenario 3C — If no long-term deal is reached by July 15, Cousins must play for the Redskins under the franchise tag for one more year, at a guaranteed salary that’s estimated to be about $24 million.
Probability: High to middle. A sound option that gives the Redskins total control of Cousins’s next step.

There are 5 scenarios all together. You can read them all here:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...ations-could-play-out/?utm_term=.fedac004a69a

Ridley Simon

Feb 27, 2002

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Option 4 leaves the Skins potentially left holding the bag with no credible QB for 2017.

Nobody is paying 2 1sts for him that's for sure. So a first and a 3rd maybe and sacrificing the 2017 season (at a minimum, worst case maybe the next season or 2) is what option 4 gets you.

About the only thing positive is it allows the market to establish his value. Could be good, could be terrible.

Slateman

Feb 2, 2016
They offered him 16 million!?! Talk about a lowball

Should have just given him the 20 million. Would have been cheaper in the long run.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
What's with us interviewing coordinators from **** teams. I don't want the Browns or Jags coaches...
Looks how 0-16 lions Barry turned out.:cry::cry::cry:

Bradley was the DC in SEA. He was the DC for SEA when they last beat the Skins in the playoffs. Could be said he created the Legion of Boom. His 1st year as HC in Jacksonville was the year SEA won the SB.

He is a legit DC candidate.

Ridley Simon

Feb 27, 2002
Option 4 leaves the Skins potentially left holding the bag with no credible QB for 2017.

Nobody is paying 2 1sts for him that's for sure. So a first and a 3rd maybe and sacrificing the 2017 season (at a minimum, worst case maybe the next season or 2) is what option 4 gets you.

About the only thing positive is it allows the market to establish his value. Could be good, could be terrible.

That would be option 5.

Option 4 would give 2 firsts IF the Redskins don't match the contract. That's the best option for the franchise. If it's a fair offer/contract that is signed, they would just match it.

With where this is going, they need to try and reach a long term deal this off-season. It seems that they are far more at risk to losing him to nothing Summer of 2018, than they are Summer of 2017.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
That would be option 5.

Option 4 would give 2 firsts IF the Redskins don't match the contract. That's the best option for the franchise. If it's a fair offer/contract that is signed, they would just match it.

With where this is going, they need to try and reach a long term deal this off-season. It seems that they are far more at risk to losing him to nothing Summer of 2018, than they are Summer of 2017.

They're not getting 2 firsts, that's pretty much a lock. A team with a real desire to sign him would push for the tag n trade route to allow them to negotiate down before signing their offer to Cousins. I'd be stunned if someone paid 2 1sts.

Summer of 2018 at least allows them to draft another candidate and groom him and get 2 more seasons worth of service.

I'm going to predict 8 years 160 mil, 70 mil guaranteed. Hopefully less.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Good for McVay. That's a good landing spot for him, and for the Skins re: Cousins. Unless the want to trade Goff, I can't see any situation where Cousins would follow McVay there.

I'd do a Cousins for Goff deal, I think

Goff was terrible when I watched him. Huge pass from me today.

Caps Circle

Jan 19, 2015
Chantilly, VA
Bradley was the DC in SEA. He was the DC for SEA when they last beat the Skins in the playoffs. Could be said he created the Legion of Boom. His 1st year as HC in Jacksonville was the year SEA won the SB.

He is a legit DC candidate.

Bradley is terrible. He didn't create the Legion of Boom, they created him.

I'd much rather get Pettine or Phillips over him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->