OT: 2016 Redskins Part X: Nobody's Perfict (4-2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
Wentz was under a lot more pressure than Kirk was. He also had several drops. My point is that his poise and movement in the pocket is far better than Kirk's. Same with Prescott.

This business of QBs paid more; some are QBs who wouldn't be paid anywhere in the same vicinity if negotiating a contract now. Kirk has not performed to the level teams hope for when doling out that kind of money.

The QBs ahead of him are far better and far more accomplished, with perhaps the exception of Ryan (who has a much larger sample size of success). Kirk laid an egg against GB last playoffs.

Meh, Cousins movement in the pocket was pretty good yesterday. Led to a run for a needed 1st down by Cousins and 2-3 other instances that Cousins shifted left and threw for a 1st down.

And you said it, a lot on that list would make more than 19.whatever mil a year Cousins is making now if they negotiated this past off season. 18-20 mil a year is the going rate for QB's of Cousins level. Just ask Taneyhill and Osweiler. So, again, not sure why you brought it up in the 1st place. What Cousins is being paid is not outrageous considering the QB market. And its a one year deal. If Cousins earns a multi-year deal from the Skins his cap hit will come down.

Having said that, the Skins currently have 14.6 mil in cap space from what I can gather online. Plenty of money to sign whoever they might need if someone out there was worth signing. So, this season, Cousins cap hit is hurting nothing.

Finally, haven't done the research but I don't think Kirk Cousins is the 1st QB in NFL history to lay an egg in his playoff start.

Last edited:

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
Yea, gotta give credit where credit is due. Joe Barry fixed his garbage playcalling and started blitzing more.

Its more than play calling and blitzing more. The coaching staff seems to have gotten a better feel for the players they have. Especially up front. Cooley alluded to this a couple weeks ago. Some examples he mentioned was using Ziggy Hood more at DE opposite Baker than nose and Ioannidis learning how to play nose and thriving, for the most part. Since then the Skins D-line has been more effective and its shown over the last two weeks. Other changes was Nacho taking over at safety for Bruton and Trent Murphy's continued break out play at OLB.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Keim tweet:

The Redskins' improved run game blocking – not just from the line but all over – can be seen in this stat: They averaged 3.35 yards per carry before first contact Sunday, according to ESPN Stats & Information. That marks the fourth time this season they have averaged 3.0 yards or more before contact in a game. They had two such games last season.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Do we attribute all of this to upgrading Lich to Long? Lich was turrible. I think having Lavaman healthy and Long in for Lich makes this a different OL.

Anyone else but me prefer Nsekhe to Moses?

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Scot was trying to upgrade Kory before he got injured, so there was an issue there. Long has done well even though he couldnt beat out Kory in the RS. Other notable injuries, Keds Brutal err Bruton, Hall - I think all the replacement players have done better.

On defense, Barry has adjusted which is what is driving wins. Admitting failure on left side Norman and now letting him shadow, copying detroit and going press man vs Philly, dialing up the blitz more, using Ziggy to his natural strengths.... heck I even saw Compton allowed to be up closing to the LOS / run blitzing.

Run a few times instead of throwing fades, and here we are.

I like Ty but he is apparently MUCH better at left tackle, so much so they moved Trent to guard and trusted Ty outside to protect Kirk. You wont see an all pro LT moved to guard often, and leave a backup to protect the QBs blind side. I think Moses is holding up well overall, at least he is meeting my reasonable expectation. Unlike that Philly RT yesterday :laugh:

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Short answer is more aggressiveness and man, less passivity. Going hard after the ballcarrier and not sitting back in soft zones all the time out of fear of the big play.

It also helps that they've faced a few lower tier or inexperienced QBs, that Manning choked pretty hard, and that the Ravens offense was being run by an OC working his last game prior to being fired for incompetence.

I'm not saying they haven't improved, I'm just saying they haven't succeeded against any top tier competition. Browns, Ravens and Eagles are bunched up at 19th through 21st in total offense, with the Giants coming in at 13th (probably boosted by their latest explosion vs the staggering Ravens).

The good news is the Cowboys, Cardinals and Panthers are the only current top 10 offenses they'll face over the last 10 games. They have a real chance of putting up some decent defensive numbers down the stretch and giving the offense a chance to win games.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
Do we attribute all of this to upgrading Lich to Long? Lich was turrible. I think having Lavaman healthy and Long in for Lich makes this a different OL.

Anyone else but me prefer Nsekhe to Moses?

I think Long is the difference maker. Having a center with size/strength and mobility is a must in the NFL. Lichty's claim to fame was being able to get to the 2nd level fast, and his smarts calling protections pre-snap, but his size has always been a liability in any offense outside Shanahan's. With Long's size double teams in the center of the line happen and Long is able to get to the 2nd level as well. Not as fast as Lichty but fast enough.

Lavaman is a good guard but I wouldn't label him a difference maker on Long's level. I can think of at least 2 instances against PHI where Lavaman was beaten bad off the ball and put on his ass. Arie Kouandjio played in the CLE game along side Long and that was Jones first 100 yard game of the year. So, IMO, Lavaman and Ari King Kong are interchangeable with Kouandjio taking Lavaman's position in the near future if Ari continues to develop.

Also, Nsekhe/Moses is a push for me. Nsekhe is probably the better run blocker right now but Moses (25) is five years younger than Nsekhe (30). With both fairly equal in ability its worth giving up a little in the run blocking department to develop Moses. He has the bigger up side.

Last edited:

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I heard on NHL Radio.... former Skin Brandon Banks caught using PEDs playing for a team in Canada

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
No Jordan Read, at this point I doubt we see him in London and then the bye week to give him about a month to heal/rest

tycoonheart

Apr 7, 2010
Scot was trying to upgrade Kory before he got injured, so there was an issue there. Long has done well even though he couldnt beat out Kory in the RS. Other notable injuries, Keds Brutal err Bruton, Hall - I think all the replacement players have done better.

I do wonder tho, what did the coaches see to play Bruton, Hall and Philips over Duke, Blackmon and Fuller? The latter 3 are so so so sooo much better. I think the difference has been those 3, a big reason why we're playing much better defensively.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Scot as advertised is a trenches guy. Impose your will and beat opponents physically.

Goes WR in the first and gets burned. I theorize he broke his fist based Doc was injured before the draft, or that he didn't draft a top DL in a deep DL draft.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
Scot as advertised is a trenches guy. Impose your will and beat opponents physically.

Goes WR in the first and gets burned. I theorize he broke his fist based Doc was injured before the draft, or that he didn't draft a top DL in a deep DL draft.

or the fact that they will actually need a receiver next year and its good to have one as good as him that knows the system?

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
or the fact that they will actually need a receiver next year and its good to have one as good as him that knows the system?

Next year, common theory among fans. I actually think scot could draft a WR next year, since using rookie WRs is suddenly all the rage, including here with Grant and Crowder. And even Doc himself.

I am sure you noticed Jay forcing Doc into the game in THE first series in our first game, after likely the least amount of practice of any first rounder ever, and then the forced ugly duck fades. It sure looked like they were trying to use him this year.

I thought Scot would be the type that would preach great line play eliminates the need to worry about the deepest roster spot on the team becoming thin one day. Not sure if its true or not, but WRs seem easy to get in FA since they chase big money.

Spilt milk, at least Jay was wise enough to IR him in time for the 6 months off he needs, to make OTAs next year.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Doctson was a huge miss this year. Very disappointed in GMSM on that one. The next Kevin White? Could still turn out ok, but your 1st rounder should be an immediate contributor.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
So gmsm was supposed to be able to predict that he was gonna get injured?

Seems like a miss today or do you think that was a home run 1st rounder? I'm just saying in a league where your high pick are expected to contribute immediately, this is a miss for this season.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
Seems like a miss today or do you think that was a home run 1st rounder? I'm just saying in a league where your high pick are expected to contribute immediately, this is a miss for this season.

ah seems like i misunderstood your point. Im saying that it was a good pick and that it is unfortunate that he got hurt since we were all excited for him this year. now that he is hurt its easy to look back and say bad pick. but are we saying the same think if they drafted an oline or dline and he gets hurt the same way?

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
The next Malcolm Kelly.

You are the 2nd one to make this comparison and it isn't a good one. Kelly was damaged goods when he was drafted. Doctson wasn't.

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/football/2008-03-31-1285358540_x.htm
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000...e-to-hamper-rookie-kelly-during-training-camp

Doctson said he played at 75% the two games he played in and he wouldn't come back till he was 100%. The problem with that is who in the NFL is ever 100% healthy after going through training camp and pre-season games? Kickers and some QBs? Just another kid who doesn't know the difference between being hurt and being injured. Or so it seems.

Also,

Last edited:

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009

Ross sitting for the recently promoted Maurice Harris. Gruden was sure high on the kid in his presser earlier this week. And the kid is 6-3. Could be a nice redzone presence. I wonder if he has been working with Cousins on fade passes. ;)

Sep 19, 2008
Lions gonna be tough but they are a beatable team. Defensively we playing a lot better and it seems like offense won't miss a beat

35-31 Skins

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->