OT: 2016 Redskins Part X: Nobody's Perfict (4-2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Capsman

Nov 21, 2008
Problem is that I'm not sure how they play better. The personnel is lacking in a couple critical areas. If you have a HOF QB you can compensate. We have an above average QB who needs a strong team around him. Not sure how we win more than 6 with this run defense and lck of pass rush.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
We have an above average QB who needs a strong team around him.
You wouldn't take at least 16 QBs over him?

They're sloppy as hell but I can't take their relative inaction on the DLine and not lose some faith in McCloughan (maybe significantly for the first time). It was glaring and he more or less paid it no mind.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Not upgrading the DL, losing Gallete, and not upgrading Lich will derail the season. That was also a 2014 performance for Kirk. His "Prove It Tour" started off with a big flop.

Sep 19, 2008
Some thoughts on the game last night:

Offense looked good...for one quarter. Were moving down the field with ease. Had a chance on 4th and 1 and decided to kick the FG. Could have gotten more and people at the stadium were clamoring for them to go for it. If there was any time to go for it, it was probably then.

Later on, they'd go for it on 4th down and get stuffed.

Cousins showed some flashes of brilliance but in the end, the narrative that haunted him last year is the same so far this year. Cousins still hasn't beaten a team over .500, and the Steelers, like it or not, they're a damn good team. That's why, after sleeping on it, I can't really complain. Yes, several players were out. Should the game have been closer? Yes. But this is still a team that fields a top 5 QB in Roethlisberger and an elite receiver in Antonio Brown. To think the Redskins, a team HABITUALLY struggling on the big stage, would be able to shut them down and possibly win this game would be laughable.

Most of my concern came off defense. Again, most people don't expect to win a game like this when Antonio Brown and Roethlisberger are healthy. But there's also no LeVeon Bell or Wheaton. And Pittsburgh still was able to accumulate yards off these devastating, systematic drives to bleed down clock and keep the defense on the field. I was extremely concerned by the amount of 3rd down conversions that were converted with ease. Just run it with Toussaint, Williams, get the first, no issue. Defense was winded and never had a chance to make that stop. Most concerning play was on 4th and 1 when they just decided to air it out for the TD. The whole stadium was standing, waving their towels, and then Roethlisberger drops back, finds a receiver, it's a touchdown. And that place is stunned, at least all the Redskins fans (fair amount of Steelers fans too). To me, I would argue that would be the start of the end, not the fumble.

Moving on to the fumble, I could see why they call that. There wasn't anything conclusive that could overturn that call. Chalk it up to bad luck on MNF where we have habitually struggled at home on. I'm not worried about that, I'm worried about how deflated the team looked after that. There wasn't much opposition after that and the team kind of seemed deflated.

I have touted Gruden for his whole tenure, said he needed time to grow as a coach. Now, we are starting to see some flaws. This team doesn't play 60 minutes. Of course it's hard to play the full 60, but this team takes HUGE breaks off. After that 4th down call, after that fumble, someone out there has got to be busting the player's ass and firing them up. Get the **** back in it. Hurry the **** up. The people I went to the game with last night, they observed that there was NO urgency in the third when they should have no-huddled. Instead they took their sweet time and chewed up clock. Someone out there has to light a fire and this team, while not expected to play the FULL 60, has to play at least 80% of the game at full power or 75%. Come on. They looked anemic and the D couldn't make a stop after the 1st. Even after the Redskins closed down to within 24-16, they just couldn't get a damn stop when it mattered the most, and Pittsburgh moved down the field with ease.

So I was concerned about the defense and the overall effort on Monday Night. It's a short week until the next game against Dallas, a team that sure as **** will be inspired to win this game and knock Washington down a peg. As much concern as I expressed during this game, the game on Sunday is even more important.

Defend your NFC East title and pride against your bitter rival. Go out there and win on Sunday and take steps to recover following this beatdown. The next two games are against a Dallas team with a good young QB (albeit a rookie) and a Giants team that looked somewhat better than last year (they won a close game!). Need to be 1-1 in the division heading into week 4, if you want to keep those division hopes alive.

Sep 19, 2008
How much of the struggles last night were attributed to playing a potential playoff team? You saw how this team looked against other playoff teams last year. How is this any different?

Dallas game will be closer.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
How much of the struggles last night were attributed to playing a potential playoff team? You saw how this team looked against other playoff teams last year. How is this any different?

Dallas game will be closer.

The problem with that line of reasoning is that the only teams on our schedule likely to not compete for a playoff spot this year are the Browns and the Bears.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
There are 3 guys last night everyone knew were going to get the ball and the Skins couldn't stop them or even slow them down (Big Ben, Williams, Brown). I know it's a team game but if the same 3 guys are whipping your ass all night even when you know it's coming then that's a problem.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
There are 3 guys last night everyone knew were going to get the ball and the Skins couldn't stop them or even slow them down (Big Ben, Williams, Brown). I know it's a team game but if the same 3 guys are whipping your ass all night even when you know it's coming then that's a problem.

Eh Antonio Brown is legitimately the best WR in the game and Roethlisberger is a very good QB. Brown's going to get his yards even against good defenses so while the secondary wasn't great I'll give them a pass for one game.

The defensive line is a huge problem though. Getting no pass rush and allowing 33 year old DeAngelo Williams to run like he did is disheartening and I don't really see an answer for improving the line. I guess they are just going to have to blitz a lot and make QBs beat them?

Sep 19, 2008
The problem with that line of reasoning is that the only teams on our schedule likely to not compete for a playoff spot this year are the Browns and the Bears.

Also, it's pittsburgh. They're good year after year. Dallas has no Romo. I'd be more scared of the giants.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Eh Antonio Brown is legitimately the best WR in the game and Roethlisberger is a very good QB. Brown's going to get his yards even against good defenses so while the secondary wasn't great I'll give them a pass for one game.

The defensive line is a huge problem though. Getting no pass rush and allowing 33 year old DeAngelo Williams to run like he did is disheartening and I don't really see an answer for improving the line. I guess they are just going to have to blitz a lot and make QBs beat them?

Brown was torching them all night and they didn't adjust. He kept moving away from Norman and the Skins let him pick on Breeland all night. Whether or not we want to excuse Breeland due to Brown's talent, there's still an obvious and probably fatal coaching error there.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
Brown was torching them all night and they didn't adjust. He kept moving away from Norman and the Skins let him pick on Breeland all night. Whether or not we want to excuse Breeland due to Brown's talent, there's still an obvious and probably fatal coaching error there.

The talent of Brown and Rothlisberger played a role and Coaching and Breeland played a role, but what cannot be lost is the total lack of pressure by the D-line. The Skins can have the best secondary in the NFL but they cannot cover for 5-8 seconds. NFL level WR's are going to get open and NFL level QB's are going to get them the ball.

Talk on 980 throughout the day was the front office thought they could fortify the secondary and that would allow them to make due with the D-line as it stands right now. That was multiplied times 10 when Norman became available. Now they are seeing that putting off addressing the D-line another year was a mistake.

Adding Cullen Jenkins is a sign of that. He may help, primarily by allowing Chris Baker to move to NT IMO, but short of trading for a legit, older/disgruntled, D-line standout, the team is stuck with a sub-standard D-line for the rest of the year.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
The talent of Brown and Rothlisberger played a role and Coaching and Breeland played a role, but what cannot be lost is the total lack of pressure by the D-line. The Skins can have the best secondary in the NFL but they cannot cover for 5-8 seconds. NFL level WR's are going to get open and NFL level QB's are going to get them the ball.

Talk on 980 throughout the day was the front office thought they could fortify the secondary and that would allow them to make due with the D-line as it stands right now. That was multiplied times 10 when Norman became available. Now they are seeing that putting off addressing the D-line another year was a mistake.

Adding Cullen Jenkins is a sign of that. He may help, primarily by allowing Chris Baker to move to NT IMO, but short of trading for a legit, older/disgruntled, D-line standout, the team is stuck with a sub-standard D-line for the rest of the year.

Pretty much. They should hope that Johnathan Allen (DE/DT - Alabama) is available with their 1st round pick next year. I would imagine guys like Miles Garrett (Texas A&M) and Malik McDowell (Michigan State) will be gone by the time the Redskins pick. As of now, I'm assuming their picking 15-18.

NewLife

Apr 29, 2011
Oslo
I just Had an ugly sight where the skins will bleed at the LOS and Morris will run like it was 2012 and their new shiny kid picks holes.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
You wouldn't take at least 16 QBs over him?

I got 11 I would no doubt take over Cousins. I got 11 I have doubts about (might be an upgrade over Cousins but might not) marked with *. Rest I have no doubts I don't want instead of Cousins.

Arizona Cardinals - Carson Palmer*
Atlanta Falcons - Matt Ryan*
Baltimore Ravens - Joe Flacco
Buffalo Bills - Tyrod Taylor
Carolina Panthers - Cam Newton
Chicago Bears - Jay Cutler
Cincinnati Bengals - Andy Dalton*
Cleveland Browns - Josh McCown
Dallas Cowboys - Dak Prescott
Denver Broncos - Trevor Siemian
Detroit Lions - Matthew Stafford*
Green Bay Packers - Aaron Rodgers
Houston Texans - Brock Osweiler
Indianapolis Colts - Andrew Luck
Jacksonville Jaguars - Blake Bortles*
Kansas City Chiefs - Alex Smith*
Los Angeles Rams - Case Keenun
Miami Dolphins - Ryan Tannehill*
Minnesota Vikings - Shaun Hill/Sam Bradford
New England Patriots - Jimmy Garoppolo*/Tom Brady
New Orleans Saints - Drew Brees
New York Giants - Eli Manning
New York Jets - Ryan Fitzpatrick
Oakland Raiders - Derek Carr
Philadelphia Eagles - Carson Wentz*
Pittsburgh Steelers - Ben Roethlisberger
San Diego Chargers - Philip Rivers
San Francisco 49ers - Blaine Gabbert
Seattle Seahawks - Russell Wilson
Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Jameis Winston*
Tennessee Titans - Marcus Mariota*

Last edited:

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
CJ Spiller was cut by NO today. I wouldn't mind seeing McClou take a look at him. Last night showed Thompson is not ideal as a 3rd down back. Spiller could add something meaningful out of the back field on passing downs but, most importantly, provide a bigger body to pick up blitzers.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Jeff George 2.0? Really?

I know you have a bias towards Cousins but you'd take Jay Cutler over him? Thats crazy.

I know, I know. I just don't have a lot of faith in Cousins.

The scenario I'm envisioning is if the Bears decide to cut Cutler after this year (they'll probably have a top 5 draft pick and may decide to go with one of the many talented QBs) and we have a parting of the ways with Cousins. The list of 2017 free agent QBs is brutal with a capital B. I'd rather not spend a 1st on a QB or commit top dollar to Cousins unless he comes close to replicating the last half of last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad