Boro

Claesson (2-way)
Kostka (2-way)
Chabot (2-way)
Sielhof (2-way)
Harpur (2-way)
Englund (2-way)

Am I drawing a blank here?

Nope, you have it are right. Claesson and Kostka do need to be waived to be sent down though.

Comely

Nov 26, 2007
Cambridge
OK, I meant Claesson. Anyway, doubt he gets waived.

You are likely correct assuming he doesnt get out played at camp. If there are 7 better defense at camp he will get waived. First week of the season is often the easiest time to get people through waivers.

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
So I'm a bad guy because I disregard a player that probably gets waived... Jeez

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
So I'm a bad guy because I disregard a player that probably gets waived... Jeez

For what it's worth, almost every team is 1 injury away from having a meh talent in the top 4. We're not unique in that regard.

Also worth pointing out, that for all the flak Boro gets, he's filled in with Karlsson better than the average bottom pair guy should be expected to. His style compliments Karlsson's to a certain degree. It's certainly not ideal, but for short stints it's not the end of the world.

SuperDuper101

May 15, 2013
Only signing Kelly. 900k for a legit need that will come with long term payoffs. No dumb contracts that will cause us to lose a core player within the next 2-4 years. Cap space is extremely valuable.

I've always thought this way too, until I recently realized there is no logic to it. We should be a cap team every year. If you need to get under the cap in 3-4 years, you make a trade.

Signing Okposo for 6 years at 6M does not preclude the team from trading him at the end of year 3 in order to free up cap space. If we retained 2.0M we could probably recoup a great asset for that good a player a good price for 3 years (acquiring team would get him for 3 years at 4.0M).

That kind of creative move assumes:
Karlsson extension 10.5M cap hit
Turris 6.0M
Stone 6.5M
Hoffman 5.0M
Pageau 3.0M
Zibanejad 5.0M

And it also assumes we're keeping Methot after the next 3 seasons, which honestly... I kind of doubt.

SuperDuper101

May 15, 2013
In essence, the money is there for Ottawa to sign UFA's. The Hawks have played at the top of the cap for years, making moves to recoup draft picks/prospects when they get too near the edge. Retaining the core. Washington signed Oshie last year.

The whole 'we can't sign players because we'll lose someone good if we do that' seems to forget that the someone good can easily just be the worst of all the good guys you have... maybe it's the one you signed... maybe it's someone else.

The big mistake is allowing NTC & NMC's into contracts. If you don't do that... then I think the flexibiilty is there and the major risk is that a big asset turns into a guy like Brown in L.A., but that's not something anyone can predict.

Viletho

Jan 20, 2015
I did a list earlier... There was like 10-12 teams in the east with a better bottom pair then Ottawa

I would like to know who are those 10-12 and out of those 10-12, how many has a better top-4? (On paper) It's fun and all to have a good bottom pair, but if the top 4 is not better, than it doesn't matter.

It's like saying that a team with 6 superstar or elite on the top 6 with a meh bottom 6 is worse than the team who have 12 average player, because the bottom 6 is better.

I would rather have the better top 4 with a meh bottom 6 than the good bottom 6 with average top 4.

You just said the dude could not handle first pair minutes... So when a top four injury happens, you are going to promote this "meh" talent to the top four.

Disaster waiting to happen

First pair 24-25 min + against top line and second line player ( Ideally ) ( Crosby-Ovechkin-Tavares-Giroux-ect )
2nd pair 17-20 minutes against second line and 3rd liner ( ideally ). This is so different in term of quality of competion.

If there is an injury to Methot or Phaneuf, Claesson would play in the second pairing ( i hope ), not with Karlsson.

GWNR

Dec 10, 2013
Ottawa, Ontario
You just said the dude could not handle first pair minutes... So when a top four injury happens, you are going to promote this "meh" talent to the top four.

Disaster waiting to happen

You don't think him playing in a bottom pairing role before playing in the top 4 would make a dramatic difference.

Claesson got thrown into the fire and your conclusion is he is not very good. My conclusion is he was playing out of his role and did neither good nor bad (he did meh), but by playing in the bottom pair and getting more experience he certainly has some potential to develop his game and has future potential to step into the top 4.

You make it sound like he can't get better and you're failing to identify the situation he was in.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Man would I ever slam my head against the wall. Oh look we fixed the top 4....only to ruin the top 4

The only way he would be traded is if his asking price is not in the budget.

I would then start a Melnyk sucks support group so that we can voice our hatred against Melnyk.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Ceci being traded to the Oilers would probably be karma for how much I've gotten off on the Habs losing Subban for Weber....

....Yeah I know, not in the same realm, but seriously, e4 is some serious **** here. That's two higher than an e2.

All you people mad that Ottawa hasn't made moves to change up the core....be careful what you wish for. RNH would be tolerable, but if we get Eberle for Ceci, or worse the rumored package they offered for Barrie of Pouliot+Yakupov+2017 first then I'll quit watching hockey forever and start watching a weirder obscure sport like lacrosse or slamball.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
The only way he would be traded is if his asking price is not in the budget.

I would then start a Melnyk sucks support group so that we can voice our hatred against Melnyk

I don't get how that makes sense though. If Ottawa is taking back one of Edmonton's top 6 forwards like Eberle or RNH, that's a 6 million dollar player. If the deal is budget motivated, and one of those two players are the return, EDM would have to take back someone like MacArthur. It would have to be RNH+Yak for Mac+Ceci or something. At least this season, EDM has enough cap space to extend Ceci to a long term 5 million per deal like Rielly's deal and the 2.5M off the books from Yak would offset MacArthur's cap hit this season.

That would point to Leon Draisaitl being the return or the Senators losing their mind and ditching Ceci for a package of futures.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
I really wish we could have swung something involving Hall and Ceci. Even though it would have ****ed with our top 4. Hall is a game changer. Him and Karlsson would give teams fits.

GWNR

Dec 10, 2013
Ottawa, Ontario
Ceci being traded to the Oilers would probably be karma for how much I've gotten off on the Habs losing Subban for Weber....

....Yeah I know, not in the same realm, but seriously, e4 is some serious **** here. That's two higher than an e2.

All you people mad that Ottawa hasn't made moves to change up the core....be careful what you wish for. RNH would be tolerable, but if we get Eberle for Ceci, or worse the rumored package they offered for Barrie of Pouliot+Yakupov+2017 first then I'll quit watching hockey forever and start watching a weirder obscure sport like lacrosse or slamball.

Man I wish Slamball was still a thing, but yes I agree with you.

Can someone tell me what the hell e4 and e2 mean? Am I missing something?

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Man I wish Slamball was still a thing, but yes I agree with you.

Can someone tell me what the hell e4 and e2 mean? Am I missing something?

Taken directly from hockeybuzz.com:

E1 - This is a rumor that comes from a single reliable source not in any way directly connected to the players or teams involved.
E2 - This rumor is simply more than one reliable sources not in any way directly connected to the players or teams involved and not connected to each other. It does not have to equate to two E1's. It could be several E1's.
E3 - This rumor comes from a single source with ties somehow to the players or teams involved.
E4 - This rumor comes from more than one source with ties to the players or teams involved.
E5 - This rumor comes from source telling Eklund the deal is 100% done and just has not been announced yet.

GWNR

Dec 10, 2013
Ottawa, Ontario
E1 - This is a rumor that comes from a single reliable source not in any way directly connected to the players or teams involved.
E2 - This rumor is simply more than one reliable sources not in any way directly connected to the players or teams involved and not connected to each other. It does not have to equate to two E1's. It could be several E1's.
E3 - This rumor comes from a single source with ties somehow to the players or teams involved.
E4 - This rumor comes from more than one source with ties to the players or teams involved.
E5 - This rumor comes from source telling Eklund the deal is 100% done and just has not been announced yet.

What in the flying **** then. And Ceci to EDM was an E4?

Does Bobandy have to slap a *****?

starling

Nov 7, 2010
Ottawa
Ceci for Puljujarvi? Yes pls. Do it Dorion.

Why are you acting like if he's traded it's for nothing. I mean look we are talking about trading with the guy who traded away Seguin and Hall for Eriksson and Larsson.

ChelFan31

Mar 22, 2016

Why are you acting like if he's traded it's for nothing. I mean look we are talking about trading with the guy who traded Seguin and Hall for peanuts.

would prefer a Draisaitl > Puljujarvi

GWNR

Dec 10, 2013
Ottawa, Ontario

Why are you acting like if he's traded it's for nothing. I mean look we are talking about trading with the guy who traded away Seguin and Hall for Eriksson and Larsson.

I repeat....we just fixed the top 4 only to **** it up again?

Obviously, it dpeends on the return (I didn't imply it would be for nothing), but it's going to have to include someone to play in the top 4 that is legit and not another Wiercoch nightmare

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->