Speculation: 2016 Offseason Thread ★

Status
Not open for further replies.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
He went undrafted. And there's a window which opens after the draft and ends before the season starts where you can offer young players like this ELCs. Dallas has done it a couple times in the past (Tristan King and Maxime Lagace).

It's not that common and 99 times out of a hundred, the player becomes nothing. I'm sure that I'm forgetting someone, but the only guy I can even think of to turn into a semi notable NHL player is Josh Gorges.

Brenden Dillon was an undrafted free agent the Stars gave an ELC as well . Only one in recent memory who became an NHL player from what i recall.

Ghost of Kyiv

Wanted Dead and Alive
Feb 1, 2015
Schrödinger's Box
Brenden Dillon was an undrafted free agent the Stars gave an ELC as well . Only one in recent memory who became an NHL player from what i recall.

Yeah definitely, but Dillon's situation was a bit different than what Sipak4 asked about. He had already finished his WHL career, he was already passed on in the draft multiple times and was no longer eligible to be selected in any more upcoming drafts. He was a true free agent.

This situation is a bit different because Vala is still a teenager, his WHL career is still ongoing and he could have been selected in the 2017 draft had Dallas not signed him. He was only a free agent for a very short window. So this is a little more rare of a transaction type than the more typical undrafted free agent signing.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Well isn't that just great ......

At least he didn't really get injured just some wierd condition he was born with ? They just found it when he had a more minor issue i guess .

Last edited:

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
With the news of Janmark out for an extended period of time, would Dallas be looking for a 3rd/4th line winger to replace him this season? The Rangers have A TON of depth forwards who can play in the NHL. Maybe someone like Jesper Fast?

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Too early for that . I think the team likely wants to give their own young guys a shot at first.

The training camp roster is still filled with pretty much every forward prospect the Stars have .

I think this means Adam Cracknell could actually play real NHL games for the Stars . Not sure how i feel about that ...

So what does the Stars opening roster look like now ? Something like

Benn-Seguin(?)-Eaves
Sharp-Spezza-Hudler
Roussel-Faksa-Hemsky
McKenzie-Dowling-Ritchie

With Cracknell as 13th forward to fill in once Eaves gets injured ?

Last edited:

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
Presumably we could get somebody in on a PTO for cheap. Or we could sit on the waiver wire and snatch up somebody's castoff. We could even go 7 defensemen. No need to make a trade.

Magic Mittens

Nov 2, 2006
Calgary
Yeah I can see us grabbing someone cheap off waivers.

We need another forward who can play on the PK though

Really not liking these injuries, and I have a feeling Seguin won't be ready to go at the start

serp

Jan 17, 2016
With the rash of injuries Nichuskin very likely would've actually gotten the playing time he was whining about ....

Oh well .

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
I wouldn't mind a Reider for Nichushkin+ swap, but I'm not sure how feasible that is.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Rieder seems like a good fit but i don't know what the Coyotes would want in return .

As for Janmark hopefully he can fully recover from this from what i've read 10 or more years back something like this was not only most likely a death sentence for a pro-sports career but would very likely bother you for the rest of your life.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Until we make a trade we have no #1 . Both are gonna split the games until we trade for someone else or someone gets injured .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad