Post-Game Talk: 2016 NHL Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
LOL Really fun reading through this thread, plus I'm bored.

There's still hope for Juolevi and Lockwood, but man it's weird to see a draft where not a single player we've drafted has played an NHL game.

i'm excited for Lockwood actually. Juolevi i kinda forgot of, i'm hopeful for him too, 2016 worked out terribily for us considering its the 5th pick we are talking about here, if it was like a 14th pick that didn't work out I would be not as upset, but yea, top 5 picks teams need to get it right, I hope Juolevi does well for us and becomes a player.

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
Canucks were all in on Pierre Luc Dubois; thought he would be available, and like everyone else, were stunned when Columbus took him.
I don't normally engage with these accounts, but (1) most rankings had Dubois gone by 4. Absolutely no one was stunned that he wasn't available, only that he went before Puljujärvi. (2) The Canucks only wanted Dubois to flip to Montreal for PK Subban, which would have been a pretty terrible move.

CantStoptheBrock

Jun 26, 2020
I don't normally engage with these accounts, but (1) most rankings had Dubois gone by 4. Absolutely no one was stunned that he wasn't available, only that he went before Puljujärvi. (2) The Canucks only wanted Dubois to flip to Montreal for PK Subban, which would have been a pretty terrible move.
Why do some posts just make stuff up? Most rankings certainly did not have Dubois gone by 4.

Pretty much every mock draft at the time had Dubois going to the Canucks, since the Oilers would be all over Tkachuk, being already loaded at centre with Nugent-Hopkins, Draisaitl and McDavid.

I just googled "2016 NHL Mock Draft" and every single result on the first page had Dubois going to the Canucks.

So try again.

Reactions: Pastor Of Muppetz

BB06

Jun 1, 2020
I remember going out to an event during this and decided not to check my phone for updates or anything as I thought Tkachuk was a no brainer. A bit of my soul died inside me the next day when I checked TSN.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
This draft is a prime example of why you don't let someone who sees a prospect play for 2 weeks overrule the scouts who've been watching them for much longer.

Reactions: Bitz and Bites

Peter10

Dec 7, 2003
Germany
What overruling in 2016....?

Benning going against whoever was Brackett choice for that pick.

Canucks Mailbag: What's going on between GM Jim Benning and Judd Brackett? - Sportsnet.ca

Zero goals. The same as Olli Juolevi at the NHL level. But Juolevi was Benning’s choice back in 2016 because the GM wanted a defenceman and loved what he saw from the Finn at the world juniors. He could have chosen Mikhail Sergachev or Charlie McAvoy. Benning is believed to have gone with Brackett’s first-round recommendation ever since.

Reactions: vanuck

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Why do some posts just make stuff up? Most rankings certainly did not have Dubois gone by 4.

Pretty much every mock draft at the time had Dubois going to the Canucks, since the Oilers would be all over Tkachuk, being already loaded at centre with Nugent-Hopkins, Draisaitl and McDavid.

I just googled "2016 NHL Mock Draft" and every single result on the first page had Dubois going to the Canucks.

So try again.

He's not really wrong, it's just a matter of who was picking. This was a draft with a very broadly accepted top 5 grouping:

1/2 - Matthews/Laine
3 - Puljujarvi
4/5 - Tkachuk/Dubois

It wouldn't be a surprise that Dubois would be gone at 5, and that would be because the team at 4 could have easily picked him. But because Edmonton had the #4 spot and everyone knew they were keener on Tkachuk especially due to position so that's why all the mock drafts looked the same up to 5. It was a huge shock when Columbus to Dubois at 3, giving Edmonton an unexpected choice of wingers at 4 where they went 'BPA', and then Benning the opportunity to go all Leeroy Jenkins at 5.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
It wouldn't be a surprise that Dubois would be gone at 5, and that would be because the team at 4 could have easily picked him. But because Edmonton had the #4 spot and everyone knew they were keener on Tkachuk especially due to position so that's why all the mock drafts looked the same up to 5. It was a huge shock when Columbus to Dubois at 3, giving Edmonton an unexpected choice of wingers at 4 where they went 'BPA', and then Benning the opportunity to go all Leeroy Jenkins at 5.

But it wasn't a huge shock to see Columbus pass on Puljujarvi. There were reports leading up to the draft that Jarmo didn't like Puljujarvi's game and didn't want to draft him. I remember being surprised reading about it, and not fully believing it (as it was a rumour), but it was reported by a credible insider (maybe Friedman? can't remember).

+1 for the Leeroy Jenkins reference.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
But it wasn't a huge shock to see Columbus pass on Puljujarvi. There were reports leading up to the draft that Jarmo didn't like Puljujarvi's game and didn't want to draft him. I remember being surprised reading about it, and not fully believing it (as it was a rumour), but it was reported by a credible insider (maybe Friedman? can't remember).

+1 for the Leeroy Jenkins reference.
Disagree...It was always the 'two' big Finns...A lot of the experts believed that they were both NHL ready ..If the Oilers passed on Puljijarvi,I'm quite certain, the Canucks would have taken him.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Matthew Sekeres ‏@mattsekeres 3m3 minutes ago

#Canucks president Trevor Linden says "scoring from the wings" is critical and number 1 priority in free agency. #CanucksOn1040
This post is from June 25, 2016......The winger in question would turn out to be Louie Eriksson.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Disagree...It was always the 'two' big Finns...A lot of the experts believed that they were both NHL ready ..If the Oilers passed on Puljijarvi,I'm quite certain, the Canucks would have taken him.

It was reported that Jarmo didn't like Puljujarvi before the draft. That's the part that made it not as surprising.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
It was reported that Jarmo didn't like Puljujarvi before the draft. That's the part that made it not as surprising.
Agreed that this happened right before the draft, but leading up to the draft JP was about as solid at #3 as you could get.

It still shocks me that a player rated so high was such a failure at the pro level.

Peter10

Dec 7, 2003
Germany
Says nothing about an 'overruling'... says Benning wanted Juolevi...and from then on, went with Brackett's recommendation.

You...taking stuff 'out of context'..again.

We all know that you wont accept anything less than Benning saying directly that he overruled his scouts and even then you would argue he didnt really mean it but only said it to protect his scouts.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
We all know that you wont accept anything less than Benning saying directly that he overruled his scouts and even then you would argue he didnt really mean it but only said it to protect his scouts.
We all know that you will 'manufacture' drama, that isn't there, to fit into your negative agenda...There's nothing in iMacs piece to suggest an overrule...(there's no evidence of any disagreement among the scouts)..Benning was enthusiastic about the pick, no question.. .The Juolevi pick was telegraphed through the media well before we made the pick.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
I mean, how else do you read that?

"Benning is believed to have gone with Brackett’s first-round recommendation ever since."

So Juolevi wasn't Brackett's recommendation or else IMac wouldn't have included that statement. Or does that mean something else to you?

Reactions: vanuck

Peter10

Dec 7, 2003
Germany
We all know that you will 'manufacture' drama, that isn't there, to fit into your negative agenda...There's nothing in iMacs piece to suggest an overrule...(there's no evidence of any disagreement among the scouts)..Benning was enthusiastic about the pick, no question.. .The Juolevi pick was telegraphed through the media well before we made the pick.

Saying that Juolevi was Bennings pick and that he went with Bracketts suggestion ever since is clearly indicating Juolevi wasnt Brackets choice. Picking a player that is not the first choice of your Director of Amateur Scouting is overruling him.

Disappointed EP40

Jan 13, 2015

The projecting here is amazing.

There's def a lot to insinuate it was not the pick Bracket wanted, therefore, he was overruled.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Saying that Juolevi was Bennings pick and that he went with Bracketts suggestion ever since is clearly indicating Juolevi wasnt Brackets choice. Picking a player that is not the first choice of your Director of Amateur Scouting is overruling him.
That does not say anything about being overruled..?...( ..and if there was,I'm sure someone would have leaked it by now)....Tells me that Benning (and Linden) were enthusiastic about drafting OJ, and pushed to have him drafted.(a Benning pick)..Thats all the article infers...

If you can find a source that says Brackett disagreed with the selection..I'm all ears.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
The projecting here is amazing.

There's def a lot to insinuate it was not the pick Bracket wanted, therefore, he was overruled.
There's no argument from me that Juolevi was the wrong pick, and Benning and Linden were the proponents of making the selection...I just don't see any evidence though, that Brackett was overruled on a specific player...or that he was unhappy about the OJ selection (he was certainly all smiles on draft day)...Juolevi wasn't a reach either.

“There’s still some uncertainty as to who is going to be there and not, so we go through different scenarios,” said Canucks director of amateur scouting Judd Brackett. “We’ve identified five or six different players that we’d be thrilled to get. We think they’re going to be fundamental, cornerstone pieces of our franchise going forward.”

Last edited:

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
I'm thinking of a number between 1 and 10.
It's not the numbers 1 through 9.
...so it must be 10.

@Pastor Of Muppetz "I don't see any evidence that it's 10"
Is this the worst era of all time for the Canucks?

image.png.1ddd897f8e3b1d628c5852ee74e52908.png

Reactions: krutovsdonut
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad