Prospect Info: 2016 NHL Draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
I can see that. To me his U-18 did a LOT to silence any concerns I had on that front. He was just flat out dominant offensively there even outscoring the US trio that ripped it up there (Keller, Yamamoto, Brown).

Speaking of Yamamoto there's a guy to keep your eye on for next year. Undersized but he's just barely not eligible for this years draft and was wrecking **** up in Spokane. His height is the biggest reason some people don't have him on that Nolan Patrick tier.

If we're talking about next year's draft by Thanksgiving, I'm slitting my wrists.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
I can see that. To me his U-18 did a LOT to silence any concerns I had on that front. He was just flat out dominant offensively there even outscoring the US trio that ripped it up there (Keller, Yamamoto, Brown).

Speaking of Yamamoto there's a guy to keep your eye on for next year. Undersized but he's just barely not eligible for this years draft and was wrecking **** up in Spokane. His height is the biggest reason some people don't have him on that Nolan Patrick tier.

This is my thinking as well.

Jost didn't just have a great tournament. He seriously did flat out dominate. The team and linemates didn't even prop him up, he was a one man show. He broke McDavid's scoring record.

As for undersized picks at #21... Give me DeBrincat. Might be the top pure-skill forward in the Draft. There is so much ridiculous talent at #13 and #21 that I can't see myself being disappointed with whoever they pick. The only highly rated (~#20-30) guys I'd prefer to avoid at #21 are Tage Thompson and Logan Stanley.

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009

I mentioned this before, but the vast majority of Jost's U-18 scoring came against the tomato cans. He had something like 3 points in 4 games against legit teams.

Definitely tricky business deciding how much to weight results against kids who will never sniff the NHL.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006

This is my thinking as well.

Jost didn't just have a great tournament. He seriously did flat out dominate. The team and linemates didn't even prop him up, he was a one man show. He broke McDavid's scoring record.

I mentioned this before, but the vast majority of Jost's U-18 scoring came against the tomato cans. He had something like 3 points in 4 games against legit teams.

Definitely tricky business deciding how much to weight results against kids who will never sniff the NHL.

Yeah, that was my concern. He had 5G+5A in two blowouts against Denmark and Switzerland in games where Team Canada scored 19 goals combined. His numbers weren't "bad" against other teams, but don't scream out "dominant" either (just going off stats, as I didn't watch the games).

Chan790

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Bingy town, NY
I predict that if the Canes pass on Tufte at 21 for a player 6'0 or under, someone on this board loses their ****. And 75% of Facebook.

Not me. The only thing I'm going to lose my **** over is if we pass over talent at either 1st-round pick because the guy we take instead has "great speed for his size", is "a workout warrior", "plays a 200' game", "will be dominant if he can just develop their _____." (They rarely do.)...or anything else that is a euphemism for "lacks talent but has great intangibles and tries real hard."

Don't pass over diamonds for lumps of coal that might become diamonds.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Yeah, that was my concern. He had 5G+5A in two blowouts against Denmark and Switzerland in games where Team Canada scored 19 goals combined. His numbers weren't "bad" against other teams, but don't scream out "dominant" either (just going off stats, as I didn't watch the games).

The games I watched he was the most noticeable player on the ice. His offense didn't scream "donking on bad teams", the translate-ability of his offense looked convincing enough to me. I like his offensive game and I like his build.

Jost was always in our range at #13, the U18 just cemented that spot. The only reason he falls to us (if he does) is competition concerns. The only reasons Keller would fall are similar concerns as well as size. In comparison to Drafts over the last decade I think there is some really good talent available from #13-21. Strong depth like last year.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
I agree with you 100%. I prefer Bellows, if both are on the board.

Jost has second-line, leadership written all over him to me. McLeod, too.

I believe Bellows has less chance to underperform at the next level, but I think Jost is the real deal. I'd be less inclined to make a safe pick with #21 if we got Bellows at #13. If we picked Jost at #13, I'd make sure I had a solid NHLer at #21 (Gauthier, Howden, Kunin, for example)

I've heard that argument as well. Just not sure how much credit I give to it. I didn't watch those games os I don't know how much puck luck played into it or how much linemates played more poorly. Regardless, I think this is a moot point as I don't believe Jost falls to us. I think there's a better chance that Keller does. Those Canadian teams in need of a #1C just won't pass on a good ole Canadian boy. :naughty:

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
The games I watched he was the most noticeable player on the ice. His offense didn't scream "donking on bad teams", the translate-ability of his offense looked convincing enough to me. I like his offensive game and I like his build.

Jost was always in our range at #13, the U18 just cemented that spot. The only reason he falls to us (if he does) is competition concerns. The only reasons Keller would fall are similar concerns as well as size. In comparison to Drafts over the last decade I think there is some really good talent available from #13-21. Strong depth like last year.

Yeah, like I said, I didn't watch the games, which is why I'm asking.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Yeah, like I said, I didn't watch the games, which is why I'm asking.

It's a legit concern. Guys get pumped up for production that has little chance of translating. Jost is a huge risk because every bump up in competition is another layer of translation that is hard to predict. He's one layer lower than every guy in that range.

The Canes don't want to end up with another Boychuk.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Not sure if this was posted, but here are some of MacDonald's quotes on some of the players.

Bellows:
“He’s a ‘shoot first, ask questions later’ kind of player,” MacDonald said. “He’s a finisher, first and foremost. Some might label him a one-trick pony. If so, it’s a great trick. Scoring 50 goals in a season is pretty significant. He’s an elite shooter.”

Keller:
MacDonald calls him “one of the most skilled and dynamic players in the draft.”

MacDonald said Keller has been compared to Chicago Blackhawks star Patrick Kane, which is unfair, and added, “While a little undersized, his size is not an issue. He has a history of producing points at every level.”

Jost:

MacDonald: “A very efficient player, he’s been a captain at every level and makes those around him better. His leadership qualities are second to none.”

McLeod:
MacDonald: “He’s got skill and speed. What sets him apart is he can do a lot of things at speed. He creates havoc but plays smart.”

Max Jones:
MacDonald: “A big man who’s hard to play against. He plays with an edge and he can skate. The suspension took away from his numbers but he’s a good, physical guy.”

Julien Gauthier:

MacDonald: “He’s a physical specimen, for sure. For big man, he can skate and he has speed. Like Bellows, he’s a goal-scorer first and foremost.”

Kunin:
MacDonald: “He makes himself available for the puck and he’s a finisher. He was a bright light for Wisconsin in a very tough year.”

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
It's a legit concern. Guys get pumped up for production that has little chance of translating. Jost is a huge risk because every bump up in competition is another layer of translation that is hard to predict. He's one layer lower than every guy in that range.

The Canes don't want to end up with another Boychuk.

The key issue w/Jost is that he's not going to be playing for the Canes for at a minimum of two or three years. He's off to University of North Dakota and a top notch program where he will face strong competition. His development will indeed progress. I expect him to be a solid pro. I just think Bellows is also the real deal, also going to a top notch NCAA program (BU - which incidentally has one powerhouse incoming freshman class - including Fabbro, Krys, Keller, and Bellows). The more I think about it, the more likely that both of these options would be really good picks for the Canes.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
The key issue w/Jost is that he's not going to be playing for the Canes for at a minimum of two or three years. He's off to University of North Dakota and a top notch program where he will face strong competition. His development will indeed progress. I expect him to be a solid pro. I just think Bellows is also the real deal, also going to a top notch NCAA program (BU - which incidentally has one powerhouse incoming freshman class - including Fabbro, Krys, Keller, and Bellows). The more I think about it, the more likely that both of these options would be really good picks for the Canes.

True, but in all likelihood, none of the guys we draft at 13 and 21 will play for the Canes for 2-3 years.

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
My prediction: the Canes will select a player at #13 but will trade the #21 pick.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
I wonder if there will be a trade soon that breaks things loose, or if GM's will wait right up to the draft? With all the noise, I was a bit surprised nothing happened yesterday.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
2 of them in the first is a home run for us.

My prediction: the Canes will select a player at #13 but will trade the #21 pick.

I just don't see us making two picks. Too many good players available and too many trades seemingly make sense. I'd be very surprised if we pick at 13 and 21.

I'm thinking we'll make both picks if we can get 2 of those guys, if not we'll ship it out for something that can help both now and long term (Brassard + pick?)

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
Basically at this point I just trust what Francis does on draft day. I was terrified the first couple of years because I didn't know if my childhood icon could live up to his on-ice performance as a GM. He has basically been everything that he was as a player as a GM. Completely unwavering, calm, nothing at warp speed, nothing overly fancy, just intelligent well-thought out moves. Doesn't deviate from his plan or his vision whatsoever.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Thanks for posting. Are those the only ones? Seems like Logan Brown and Rubstov should be there.

Hmmm, somehow I must have accidentally cut out the one on Brown as it was there, but there wasn't anything on Rubistov. Here's Brown.

Logan Brown:
The Canes may not get a shot at Brown, who was born in Raleigh in March 1998 when his father, Jeff, played for Carolina. Has the size, but strength has been questioned.

MacDonald: “Had an outstanding season at Windsor and his game matured. One knock on him had been his consistency, but he showed he can be effective over 60 games.â€

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->