NFL: 2016 NFL Season News & Notes Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Schefter is hinting apparently two surprising coaching changes could be coming.

Any guesses as to who? I'm feeling Marvin Lewis (surprising considering how he has survived everything up to this point) and one of Arians (health) or Pederson.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Schefter is hinting apparently two surprising coaching changes could be coming.

Any guesses as to who? I'm feeling Marvin Lewis (surprising considering how he has survived everything up to this point) and one of Arians (health) or Pederson.

IMO Arians is fine. I don't think his health is a huge issue this year.

I also really doubt the Smeagles fire Pederson. Its literally been one season, yea they've faded in the second half but you can expect that with a rookie QB and a team thats in the 15-32 range in offence. there will be growing pains and after the Kelly disaster I'm sure they will be more patient.

I agree with BWC, but I'm not sure if Fox counts as a surprise. Maybe Pagano? Would be a big surprise since he got a 3 year extension in January.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
And its not just the no shows ,, This game was well short of a sell out to begin with

Bears sold 482,951 tickets this year

Fewest since 1979 according to Suntimes

Last edited:

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
Not only did he play in his first NFL game after being promoted from the practice squad, he also scored his first touchdown on a second-quarter, 1-yard reception -- his very first NFL catch -- in his team's 33-16 triumph over the Carolina Panthers. It marked the 13th receiver that MVP candidate Matt Ryan has hit for a touchdown this season. And it helped the Falcons win a game that eventually led to their capturing the NFC South and a playoff berth later in the day.

Mad Brills*

Yes, there are no other games that have implications that the lions/packers tilt has, save patriots/dolphins, and that depends on if the broncos lose tonight.

It's a lock.

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
When was the last time both Super Bowl teams missed the playoffs the next season?

New England at St. Louis both missed in the 2002 season off the top of my head as did the 03 Bucs and Raiders.

According to profootballtalk.com this will only be the 5th time it's happened and Denver has now done it 3 times:

2016 - Denver and Carolina
2003 - TB and Oakland
2002 - New England and St. Louis
1999 - Denver and Atlanta
1988 - Washington and Denver

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
The Broncos also didn't go to the playoffs after the 1990 Super Bowl either.

In fact in 1988 they were at .500 for the first half of the season until Elway went shotgun full time and they finished 7-1.

Next seas the Raiders hired Shannahan the draft was a disaster and Reeves went back to Landry's playbook.

Reeves. :facepalm:

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
The Broncos also didn't go to the playoffs after the 1990 Super Bowl either.

In fact in 1988 they were at .500 for the first half of the season until Elway went shotgun full time and they finished 7-1.

Next seas the Raiders hired Shannahan the draft was a disaster and Reeves went back to Landry's playbook.

Reeves. :facepalm:

Broncos went back in 1989, altho they got destroyed by the 14-2 Niners.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Broncos went back in 1989, altho they got destroyed by the 14-2 Niners.

It was an 8-8 team in between, so not horrible. 1989 he actually woke up for the draft and selected Steve Atwater, Doug Widdell and Bobby Humphrey. 1988 he drafted NT Ted Gregory site unseen and was shocked to find out he was 5'9" and accused serial rapist Gerald Perry in the 2nd.

1990 (the year they should have finally fired him!) they collapsed to 5-11.

1991 They made the AFC championship and lost to Buffalo 10-7 where David Treadwell missed 3 Field Goals and Elway had to leave with an injury.

1992 Finally burned that lamprey off this franchise.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina

Another contract that is looking fantastic less than a year later.

Dude is going to be 28 in a couple weeks but I cannot imagine he is done. More likely he needed more time to recover from his hamstring injury, plus the Bucs' offensive line is not exactly stalwart. Jacksonville or Minnesota or someone should pick him up if he is released or waived.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Another contract that is looking fantastic less than a year later.

Dude is going to be 28 in a couple weeks but I cannot imagine he is done. More likely he needed more time to recover from his hamstring injury, plus the Bucs' offensive line is not exactly stalwart. Jacksonville or Minnesota or someone should pick him up if he is released or waived.

the worst part is that they didn't pick up his 5th year option, on which he would be playing this year if bucs had done so before '15 season started. then after he had a good season they turned around and gave him 15M guaranteed.

though they didn't give him any signing bonuses. no cap penalties if they cut him next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad