NFL: 2016 NFL Season News & Notes Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

AllAbout813

Oct 8, 2007
Tampa, FL
I think starting Wentz over Chase is a bad idea. Wentz has played a total of about 1 quarter of preseason football. Regular season is a whole other beast.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
I think starting Wentz over Chase is a bad idea. Wentz has played a total of about 1 quarter of preseason football. Regular season is a whole other beast.

Isn't the Eagles o-line a mess too? You can ruin a rookie QB behind a bad line.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street

Not to mention he isn't coming from a major power like Bama or FSU. Hasn't faced the best competition possible since HS.

AllAbout813

Oct 8, 2007
Tampa, FL
Not to mention he isn't coming from a major power like Bama or FSU. Hasn't faced the best competition possible since HS.

Exactly. I just think now that he's going to get the best possible line up with a coach scheming specifically for him, it's not going to be pretty..

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Isn't the Eagles o-line a mess too? You can ruin a rookie QB behind a bad line.

The o-line isn't that bad. It just looked like it in the one game he played because of the fact none of the first string guys were in there iirc.

Still, i don't think this is a great move.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
One thing Wentz has going for him is his confidence. Unlike Bradford and his chubby kid at a middle school dance aura.

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
He just needs to play football. Iwould have liked him to sit most of the year on the bench. With Bradford getting traded and Daniel being terrible in the preseason, they have decided to start him. With Bradford starting, this would have been a boring year. I wasnt excited about the season until yesterday and the return they got for Bradford.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012

While he's still elite and a top QB at age 37, 25 million at 41 is going to hurt.

Warren Moon made the Pro Bowl in his age 41 season. Favre had his best season at 40+. Brees doesn't depend on his physical tools as much as the vast majority of NFL QB's to be successful.

Besides they could easily front-load the contract (and probably will considering they have $80 million-plus in cap room next offseason) and make the last year only worth 8-10 million if they wanted. And while $25 million average sounds like a lot, I'd much rather have Brees at $25 million than Manning/Ryan at $24m, or Flacco/Stafford at $23m.

Gene Parmesan

Jul 23, 2009
California
Game reps is what he needs. He hasn't played much football since high school. I'm sure they'll give him an ultra safe gameplan.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Game Reps argument is weak IMO

By that logic all rookie QB's should be thrown right in fire. I just don't see need for the Eagles to rush him and potentially damage his confidence

Its easy to be confident now going in as rookie but all it takes is some awful games and Eagle fans/Media on kid for that to get dented

I have always believed there is value for a kid to sit and watch some games while learning game/system

Gene Parmesan

Jul 23, 2009
California
Yes I think teams are overly cautious with rookie QB's. Game reps are a better way of getting acclimated to football than practice or film reps. Unlike Goff, who is not physically ready for the NFL, Wentz is. You can bring a QB along slowly and play him.

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
^ That is what I would do if they in fact all along wanted to start him,but Daniel was terrible in preseason. If Daniel was decent in the preseason, he would be starting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->