2016 New Lottery System: Discourage Tanking?

EichHart

Jul 3, 2011
Hamburg, NY
So as we all know next year the top 3 picks are determined via lottery. Will this system be beneficial for the league and maintaining the parity? Or will this system cause the bottom teams to remain bad because they might not have access to top 3 draft picks. The team that finishes last has a 47.5% chance of drafting 4th overall. Here is the new lottery odds next year along with a draft simulator.

http://nhllotterysimulator.com/#/2016

My first try:

l88vgpI.png

:help:

tsanuri

Jun 27, 2012
Central Coast CA
Since the NBA went to this system in 1990 the worst record team has only won 3 times and the second worst 4. So yes it will make it much harder to get the spot you think you want by finishing last. And I think it has happened twice that the worst team has drafted 4th.

jmart21

MISC!!!
Nov 16, 2009
All Over The Place
Everyone wants to discourage tanking by making some new kind of wide open lottery system.

I have a feeling had a team like LAK or BOS won the McDavid lottery, nobody would be feeling a sense of "that's more like it, much better this way"

EichHart

Jul 3, 2011
Hamburg, NY
Since the NBA went to this system in 1990 the worst record team has only won 3 times and the second worst 4. So yes it will make it much harder to get the spot you think you want by finishing last. And I think it has happened twice that the worst team has drafted 4th.

No tanking for Matthews next season. We are going to be seeing alot of teams that just miss the playoffs move up 10-12 spots in the draft and pick 1-3. The outrage on these forums will be insane when a top team just misses and grabs a stud prospect. :laugh:

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
No tanking for Matthews next season. We are going to be seeing alot of teams that just miss the playoffs move up 10-12 spots in the draft and pick 1-3. The outrage on these forums will be insane when a top team just misses and grabs a stud prospect. :laugh:

It will certainly make it easier for the avs to tank in the next odd year season.

Boston, avs and devils on my third try. Devils in the top 3 each time so far. Man that would've been an epic result for lottery night. This board would've raged even harder than they did. McDavid going to the team that forced Seguin out of town? Eichel joining the Avs? The Devils getting another high end defensive prospect? So much hooplah would've been seen.

tsanuri

Jun 27, 2012
Central Coast CA

What you are going to see is a lot more lottery protecting picks. Just like the NBA. This year the Kings did it with the pick they traded but the Pens didn't. And of course were very close to not making it. Not the best thing to not protect the pick just miss and win and have to trade the pick.

EichHart

Jul 3, 2011
Hamburg, NY
What you are going to see is a lot more lottery protecting picks. Just like the NBA. This year the Kings did it with the pick they traded but the Pens didn't. And of course were very close to not making it. Not the best thing to not protect the pick just miss and win and have to trade the pick.

Yeah, first round picks are going to be so much more valuable because of these changes. I agree with you in regards to lottery protected picks, but what if your team continually just misses the playoffs a few seasons in a row? You can't protect that pick over the course of several seasons.

Aceonfire*

This is awesome. Man are people going to be upset when the Oilers win a top 3 pick again.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
The one thing about this new lottery system is that whoever finishes 30th overall next season won't have the feeling of at least we will get 2nd overall if they don't win. So a team like Buffalo won't have the excuse to tank like they did this past season.

EichHart

Jul 3, 2011
Hamburg, NY
The one thing about this new lottery system is that whoever finishes 30th overall next season won't have the feeling of at least we will get 2nd overall if they don't win. So a team like Buffalo won't have the excuse to tank like they did this past season.

Yeah, this was the last season to truly tank. You lose you still get a franchise center in Eichel. No one in Buffalo wants to tank next year, but would be funny if we finish around 10th last and end up getting a top 3 pick. Would be even more funny if the Oilers get another one. :laugh::laugh:

ZeroPT*

I can't wait till Pittsbugh misses the playoffs and win Matthews with like 95 points.

"HA SERVES YOU RIGHT YOU TANKERS"

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Edmonton will win anyway.

We'll finish 9th in the West and win Matthews. :sarcasm:

ZeroPT*

While that may be true, the NBA has the biggest amount of tanking compared to any other NA sport. By far.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->