2016 NBA Draft

KaylaJ

i bent my wookie
Mar 12, 2009
hell
"hey cool, I got my ball signed by pierre mcguire!"

I love how the 2nd part of the draft is basically "You're next 7 picks in order are..."

Last edited:

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
As a casual NBA fan I need someone to explain how and why teams are allowed to 'sell' draft picks?

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I don't even know if the Celtics made bad picks but the whole thing just seems like a letdown after all the noise. We just heard people talk about the Nets pick(s) for over a year and the insiders mentioned players like Butler, Boogie, Love, Horford, Hayward, Okafor, etc. Most of those might have been unrealistic all along but I thought they'd try to turn a few picks into help right now. Instead, they take Brown 3rd overall and use their other picks on players who likely won't contribute anytime soon.

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
A lot of the European prospects can shoot. Shooting in college basketball is atrocious. Hopefully some start to stay in school and get better at basketball.

They should but they all wanna chase the paycheck and NBA fame before they're ready and then flame out with in 3 years and wind up overseas.

One of the reasons why the NBA is so watered down. That and the super teams.

Still think the MLB rule is the best way to go. You can come out after High School, but if you go to college you have to stay at least 3 years. Although that might just lead to tons of kids coming out after HS instead of as Freshman.

Last edited:

Bad News Bears

All goalies be trash
May 22, 2009
Australia
So as a Nets fan, I'm sure it will just come across as *******-ish behaviour, but I'm so happy the Celtics had such a ****** draft night. So many fans, including a very high profile one who's work I enjoy greatly but can be insufferable about his confidence in Ainge, have been talking about how this draft was going to be the most amazing night and how the franchise was going from strength to strength and could do no wrong. In saying this, I'm sure they'll end up hitting on half of these guys are crushing BKN for the next 10 years.

As for the Nets, they had a great night. Thought they'd be able to get more in return for Thad, but it seems like Marks had better offers from teams out west, but they all included salary coming back for multiple years. They used him at max value (he's a good player, but his value was heightened because he was a go-to guy) to get assets. Getting a lottery talent with injury concerns and 13m in extra cap space means they can build this team exactly the way they want to create a base, even if they overpay a bit this off season (which is better than waiting for next off season when the money/max just goes up again).

Ozamataz Buckshank

Oct 7, 2010
Massachusetts
So as a Nets fan, I'm sure it will just come across as *******-ish behaviour, but I'm so happy the Celtics had such a ****** draft night. So many fans, including a very high profile one who's work I enjoy greatly but can be insufferable about his confidence in Ainge, have been talking about how this draft was going to be the most amazing night and how the franchise was going from strength to strength and could do no wrong. In saying this, I'm sure they'll end up hitting on half of these guys are crushing BKN for the next 10 years.

Green teamers are eternal optimists. It's kind of an admirable trait, they're almost like innocent children. They're essentially the "good job, good effort" kid from Miami.

Jack de la Hoya

Jun 30, 2011
Texas
Thank God Ainge saved Colangelo from himself and didn't do that Noel, Covington, 24 and 26 for 3 trade. Sooo bad.

I think most reports had Crowder or Bradley coming back to PHI as well. I'm not saying that's a good offer, but its quite a bit different, since either of those guys are probably the third most valuable piece.

For what it's worth, Colangelo stated that the offer wasn't that on the radio this morning.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
What exactly defines an "international" player? Sabonis was born in Portland and went to college in the US.

Cause his name sounds.....un America....must be an International.

Alexander Steen is a NHL player for the past 10 years or so and is always considered Swedish (he does play international for Sweden)

He was born in Winnipeg Manitoba and lived there 12 years where his father played pro hockey. He did summer vacation in Sweden. Then for 5 years he father played hockey in Germany, So he really only lived full time in Sweden for about three years, age 17 to 20.

Because his father was a great "Swedish player", Alexander gets lumped into the same category.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Europe - Spain, Turkey, Israel, Croatia, Serbia, Italy are all great destinations. China as a fallback option.

It's a shame that the NBA can't get this D league right...Baseball and hockey have "minors" to develop their players but the NBA is a real mish mash.

That being said, the Raptors have made a good attempt in getting value from their D team.
First, they do share not players with other teams. So their "premium D leaguers " are getting good minutes and training
The franchise is located just 20 miles from where the Raptors play. So D leaguers get some good practice team with NBAers....either guys coming off injuries or some the 10th to 15th guys who are available for more practice time.
Being completed owned by the Raptors the D league team (the 905)s, all the coaches and management is hired by the NBA team. Their playing systems are the same so when guys to come to the big club, they can at least contribute in needed. Norman Powell who a second rounder in 2015, went the D and made contributions when he played with Raptors. Expect him to be Raptor contributor in the upcoming season.

MVP of West Hollywd

Oct 28, 2008
What exactly defines an "international" player? Sabonis was born in Portland and went to college in the US.

To be fair Sabonis played quite a lot of international basketball before going to Gonzaga, there's more separating his career path from the American prospects than just his parentage

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Pretty happy about the Ibaka trade. Yes it sucks to lose a payer like him, but to gain Oladipo - who was the #2 pick just three years ago - and a lottery pick this year was just awesome. Some are saying it's a better return than the one we got for Harden. Oladipo and West should make a great backcourt with Waiters coming off the bench, also now have more cap space for this summer and next.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
I don't even know if the Celtics made bad picks but the whole thing just seems like a letdown after all the noise. We just heard people talk about the Nets pick(s) for over a year and the insiders mentioned players like Butler, Boogie, Love, Horford, Hayward, Okafor, etc. Most of those might have been unrealistic all along but I thought they'd try to turn a few picks into help right now. Instead, they take Brown 3rd overall and use their other picks on players who likely won't contribute anytime soon.

Ainge and C's fans overrated their picks. Sure 3rd overall is a solid pick and is future firsts but guys like Cousins, Butler, Horford and Hayward are among the best in the league and even a player like Okafor has shown us his potential after one season.

With a rising cap he doesn't have the leverage he did in 2007, nor are GMs that stupid anymore.

McOilbleeder

We are all Kloppites
Aug 5, 2006
Oil Country
So I'm not sure you guys are following, but on reddit, some posters have found some serious evidence via yearbooks that Thon Maker is actually older than his age. He said to be 18, but the age would put him at around 24.

While the Bucks could say '**** it' and still drafted him, if they knew, they would void their draft pick as they drafted an ineligible player. In other words, either the Bucks got sloppy or careless and it may cost them their top-10 selection. This would also leave Thon Maker to be a free agent, meaning technically he could sign elsewhere...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->