2016 Memorial Cup: May 20-29 in Red Deer, AB

Status
Not open for further replies.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
This sets up much better for RN. I knew if Brandon got a win under their belt they would be real tough to beat tomorrow. I knew the Rebels were going to come to play tho, not under estimating them in the least bit. In this format I don't like to count on a team beating another twice too.

Garyboy

Oct 31, 2010
Toronto
I think they are very comparable to the 12-13 Mooseheads but I think their depth is better but their stars are older than the Moose were. The moose record was better but it was in a league that is arguably worse than the O.. It's almost an even wash. It would be insane to see the two teams play a head to head series.

That would be absolutely spectacular. Great post.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I think Red Deer whom I admit I overlooked in this tournament may be the upset special for the Memorial Cup if they can get by RN. They look like a handful to me.

Which would set up a very interesting final of RD vs Lon. Sutter vs Hunter match up. And if Red Deer won it all, count me as one that would not be surprised.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
I think Red Deer whom I admit I overlooked in this tournament may be the upset special for the Memorial Cup if they can get by RN. They look like a handful to me.

Which would set up a very interesting final of RD vs Lon. Sutter vs Hunter match up. And if Red Deer won it all, count me as one that would not be surprised.

It's a one game elimination, why would anyone be surprised? If it's a 7 game series, London smokes all these teams except RN who they likely beat in 6 or 7 games.

London is the favourite. Looking forward to seeing another magical performance by the London top line, I bet they will be pumped. Marner going for the Memorial cup record.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
It's a one game elimination, why would anyone be surprised? If it's a 7 game series, London smokes all these teams except RN who they likely beat in 6 or 7 games.

London is the favourite. Looking forward to seeing another magical performance by the London top line, I bet they will be pumped. Marner going for the Memorial cup record.

Yeah, London is definitely the overwhelming favourite. What a powerhouse team.

But like you said, single game elimination. Anything can happen, especially when we are talking about kids. It's what makes junior hockey so exciting, the highs and lows, as well the unpredictability. Can't wait.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011

It's obvious isn't it? They have cruised through the round robin unchallenged. They will be the overwhelming favorites against either RD or RN.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Huge props to RD for making the semi's, thought they were going to get swept 3-0. Also, props to Leaflover for the only one believing in them before the MC started.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Yeah, London is definitely the overwhelming favourite. What a powerhouse team.

But like you said, single game elimination. Anything can happen, especially when we are talking about kids. It's what makes junior hockey so exciting, the highs and lows, as well the unpredictability. Can't wait.

Red Deer are 2-1. They lost the opener to London 6-2. The game was tigher than the score would indicate IMO. RD has to make it past RN, but if they do it will be a very intriguing final game. Probably a tight one also.

Quiksilver*

I'm always right.
Sep 1, 2003
Red Deer are 2-1. They lost the opener to London 6-2. The game was tigher than the score would indicate IMO. RD has to make it past RN, but if they do it will be a very intriguing final game. Probably a tight one also.

That game wasn't closer than the score indicated, in fact quite the opposite.

London went up 6-0 and eventually let off the gas allowing Red Deer to try and save face. Game was not close. Red Deer had about half their shots on goal in the 3rd, well after the game was already put to bed.

Leafs at Knight

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 4, 2011
London, Ontario

London went up 6-0 and eventually let off the gas allowing Red Deer to try and save face. Game was not close. Red Deer had about half their shots on goal in the 3rd, well after the game was already put to bed.

This. Wasn't really close from the puck drop. London eased up a bit up 6-2 and RD potted a couple later in the game

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011

I Disagree. The shots were pretty even that game. 36-32. RD started the game well if you recall. I think it was more a matter of Red Deer waking up in the 3rd rather than London letting up. Sutter teams play with pride and there was no doubt they were embarrassed after the 2nd period.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I Disagree. The shots were pretty even that game. 36-32. RD started the game well if you recall. I think it was more a matter of Red Deer waking up in the 3rd rather than London letting up. Sutter teams play with pride and there was no doubt they were embarrassed after the 2nd period.
London hardly played the top line in the last 15, they absolutely let up. At least in regards to who they put on the ice.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Yeah, London are still the favorites but in a tourney such as this anything is possible. Good luck I say to the teams still remaining.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Yeah, London are still the favorites but in a tourney such as this anything is possible. Good luck I say to the teams still remaining.
For sure, I hope London wins it, but its single elimination, and weird things can happen. I know its a different sport, but as anyone who has watched March Madness will know this.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
London hardly played the top line in the last 15, they absolutely let up. At least in regards to who they put on the ice.

Red Deer started the game great, they were finishing their checks and carrying the play. Parsons made some key saves or the complexion of the game most likely would have been different. There is no doubt the 2nd period belonged to London, maybe deservedly so due to undisciplined play that seemed to begin when Fleury took a bad PIM on Tkachuk . But IMO the game could have been far different given the circumstances. I can see Red Deer giving London all they can handle in the Final. But let's not count our chickens yet. RN is a good team and they still have to get by them.

Quiksilver*

I'm always right.
Sep 1, 2003
You're persistent, I'll give you that much.

Red Deer took 1 penalty in the 2nd. So much for that theory.

Game was never close. 3-0 after 1 and then 6-0 when London finally let off.

Yes final shot totals were close, thanks to half of Red Deers entire total coming in the 3rd when the game was already over and with the big line sitting on the bench.

Woll Smoth

Mar 17, 2010
Mississauga
Red Deer started the game great, they were finishing their checks and carrying the play. Parsons made some key saves or the complexion of the game most likely would have been different. There is no doubt the 2nd period belonged to London, maybe deservedly so due to undisciplined play that seemed to begin when Fleury took a bad PIM on Tkachuk . But IMO the game could have been far different given the circumstances. I can see Red Deer giving London all they can handle in the Final. But let's not count our chickens yet. RN is a good team and they still have to get by them.

Very good analysis.
The game would have been different if Red Deer managed to score early on.

Well done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad