Prospect Info: 2016 Maple Leafs Draft Pick - 92nd Overall - Adam Brooks - C - Regina Pats [5-10/171]

SEER

Sep 21, 2015
I really like what I have seen so far from Adam.. and even though some may say, that he's a bit smaller than some others.., it doesn't look to me that it is causing him any problems.. He's smart, fast and really good at setting up plays, as well as scoring..

In fact, getting the top 2015-16 WHL Player/Scorer Award ..and being given the Captain "C" mid-season...,
and to push ahead with a team that only had 3 players left on it who were 18 or older, says a lot right there..!

A late bloomer, who might be yet another dark horse for the Leafs.. (and Marlies).....
It was more, than a good round 1 of the Draft.. :)

Adam Brooks
Center -- shoots L
Born May 6 1996 -- Winnipeg, MAN
20 yrs. ago
Height 5.10 -- Weight 178
*Leafs 6th pick - round 4 (#92 overall) in the 2016 NHL Entry Draft

RECENT STATS:

2013-14 - Regina Pats - WHL
60 Games... 4 Goals... 7 Assists... 11 Points... -9
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
2014 WHL PLAYOFFS
4 Games... 0 Goals... 1 Assist...1 Point... +/- 0
2014-15 - Regina Pats - WHL
64 Games... 30 Goals... 32 Assists... 62 Points... +24
2015 WHL PLAYOFFS
9 Games... 4 Goals... 3 Assists... 7 Points... +3
2015-16 - Regina Pats - WHL
72 Games... 38 Goals... 82 Assists... 120 Points.. (#1 in WHL) +41 *PPG+
2016 WHL PLAYOFFS
12 Games... 7 Goals... 16 Assists... 23 Points... +5 *PPG+

Top WHL Scorer: Adam Brooks 2015-16 Goal & Assist Highlights - TML (HD)

Last edited:

bigfreeze

Mar 16, 2016
If the Leafs didn't draft him, would another team have picked him up or would he have been undrafted?
Leafs could've just signed him as a free agent if he didn't get drafted, but I guess his game improved enough where some other team would've likely taken a chance on him.

SEER

Sep 21, 2015
If the Leafs didn't draft him, would another team have picked him up or would he have been undrafted?
Leafs could've just signed him as a free agent if he didn't get drafted, but I guess his game improved enough where some other team would've likely taken a chance on him.

He was drafted with the Leafs 6th pick - round 4 (#92 overall) which was the start of the 5th round (close to mid-way of the draft)
...... So yes, someone else would have grabbed him, for sure..

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
His potential? Any chance he could be a 2nd line center in the NHL? How is his defensive game? Able to play 3rd line center?

Only going off of what I've seen in (extended) highlights - he's not very flashy for a guy who puts up points the way he does, plays fast and gets the puck off of his stick in a hurry whether he's passing or shooting. Shot looks ok, but improvable to being a reasonable weapon as an NHL'er. Good skater, executes at top speed, pretty efficient - doesn't waste moves to show off. Scores a lot of goals by getting to the right place and releasing quickly. Nothing really jumps off the page when watching him other than his point totals from the beginning of last year to now, hard to say though, hockey sense could be a big asset. My guess is that if he pans out, its in a role similar to what Bozak is filling now as a scoring line centre who's job is to just not mess up the chances created for him by the better players on his line

I haven't seen any isolation video on him so I can't speak to his ability to play the position without the puck, I haven't read anything that screams "shut down centre" either, seems like he's not a liability but probably not a future selke winner

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
His stats are nice, but they're not really special for a 20 year old, are they? We see guys like this all the time who post these kinds of numbers in their overage seasons - we've even had them in our organization before, like Aaron Brand. (I bet if there was an hfboards we'd have been really excited about him!)

Johny Drama

Jun 7, 2009
His stats are nice, but they're not really special for a 20 year old, are they? We see guys like this all the time who post these kinds of numbers in their overage seasons - we've even had them in our organization before, like Aaron Brand. (I bet if there was an hfboards we'd have been really excited about him!)

Have to admit, a little surprised he is back playing junior this year. His numbers the last 2 years in the WHL are outstanding. Not sure what more he is going to learn this year and he is too old for the World Junior team. Looking at the Marlies roster, they aren't exactly flush with top notch centre's either.

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton
Have to admit, a little surprised he is back playing junior this year. His numbers the last 2 years in the WHL are outstanding. Not sure what more he is going to learn this year and he is too old for the World Junior team. Looking at the Marlies roster, they aren't exactly flush with top notch centre's either.

We sent most junior eligible players back because there's only so much ice time to give to Marlies.

He will be one of the ones to benefit from all the cap and roster space we will see this upcoming summer as it will help eliminate most of the bodies in his way for ice time with the Marlies.

In most years I think he would have stuck with the Marlies. As would Bracco as he was also eligible to play for them this year. The extra year back in junior shouldn't kill their development if they have the proper mental outlook on it.

This is about to become a very difficult organization to play your way into. Players like this are why.

Stand Witness

JT
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2014
London, ON

Kind of but not really.

I think of it like Connor Brown. He put up solid statistics in his Draft +2. Adam Brooks put up solid numbers in his Draft +2 season if you consider his original year of eligibility as his draft year.

If we draft Brooks in the same year as Nylander in the 4th round we would be ecstatic right now. I don't think it changes because we drafted him 2 years later. He is also still producing and I'd argue he should have been with the Marlies this year. At the same you could argue he is a late bloomer and could use another year of dominating junior too. It was also a numbers game as well.

At the very least it looks like we got a real player with some good potential.

67Cup

Sep 16, 2005
Wasn't Brooks injured for much of training camp and thus did not have a full chance at making the Marlies? Scoring at a more than 2ppg in the WHL is not unheard of, but it isn't common either these days. That he is doing it as an overager decreases its significance compared to, say, Marner's stats in the OHL, but it certainly more than shrug worthy.

I wouldn't pencil him in to the Marlies yet, let alone the Leafs, but he is clearly worth keeping a hopeful eye on.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Wasn't Brooks injured for much of training camp and thus did not have a full chance at making the Marlies? Scoring at a more than 2ppg in the WHL is not unheard of, but it isn't common either these days. That he is doing it as an overager decreases its significance compared to, say, Marner's stats in the OHL, but it certainly more than shrug worthy.

I wouldn't pencil him in to the Marlies yet, let alone the Leafs, but he is clearly worth keeping a hopeful eye on.

If there's a soft spot on the Marlies roster it's scoring line centre, so I wouldn't be surprised if he got a call up (without checking the eligibility rules to see if he can be). If he finishes the year on a ~2ppg pace I would be very surprised if he wasn't on the Marlies next year

I've never seen anything really impressive out of him skillset wise, but he gets in the right places well and with the talent level of the wingers throughout the farm he could be really effective without being a big time puck carrier

Johny Drama

Jun 7, 2009

A number of folk will say that his numbers are expected given his age, but how many junior players put up 120 points no matter what age? As mentioned, he seems to be a late bloomer and if he wasn't drafted, imagine teams would be lining up to sign him as a free agent if he matches his offensive output from last year.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
just did a very cursory look at WHL regular season point totals since 2000, 110-120 point seasons are common for the league leaders, 135pts was the max. So regardless of him being an overager, I would think that if he maintained his current pace (163pts if he played the same # of games as last year) that would be significant as a modern-era high water mark by a significant margin

Doug Gilmour

Oct 5, 2010
Can't wait to see him in the pros next year, ECHL or AHL. He has really been tearing up in the WHL which is great and I hope it carries over to the big leagues.

Rick74*

Oct 7, 2016
London, Ont
We are chalk full of small talented forwards...

And we get bullied by large defense because of it. I think we've hit our quota and need to start looking for larger guys.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
We are chalk full of small talented forwards...

And we get bullied by large defense because of it. I think we've hit our quota and need to start looking for larger guys.

Matthews, Korshkov, Grundstrom, Greenway, Middleton, Bobylev, Mattinen, and Chebykin were all drafted last summer by us and are all 6'0+, six of them are 6'2+.

We DID focus on size last draft. Brooks and Walker were the only small guys that we took.

Rhynne

Nov 14, 2016
Who has bullied our small, talented forwards?

Exactly. Speed and skill trumps all in the new NHL. Marner(knock on wood) has barely been touched all season long he's just so elusive and aware. There are enough small fast guys succeeding at the highest level in the NHL these days(eg. Kane, Gaudreau etc.) that it shouldn't even be an issue or question anymore

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Kind of but not really.

I think of it like Connor Brown. He put up solid statistics in his Draft +2. Adam Brooks put up solid numbers in his Draft +2 season if you consider his original year of eligibility as his draft year.

If we draft Brooks in the same year as Nylander in the 4th round we would be ecstatic right now. I don't think it changes because we drafted him 2 years later. He is also still producing and I'd argue he should have been with the Marlies this year. At the same you could argue he is a late bloomer and could use another year of dominating junior too. It was also a numbers game as well.

At the very least it looks like we got a real player with some good potential.

The bolded is how I view drafted overagers as well. If we drafted them at that spot in their first draft eligible year, would we be very satisfied with how they developed so far? If the answer is yes, it's a good pick.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->