Prospect Info: 2016 Maple Leafs Draft Pick - 62nd Overall - Joseph Woll - G - USNTDP [6-2/202lbs]

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014
Huge fan of this pick! Definitely was a guy on my want list (later albeit, but I'll take it)

Watching highlights I always see Jonathan Quick in him the way he covers the bottom of the net so well and how he cuts across the crease. (Admittedly know nothing about goalies though)

He reminds me of Cory Schneider. Keeps his feet tight with short controlled movements in the net, something that i look for with goalies, something i liked in Hart's game as well. He seems to have pretty good rebound control too

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
It felt kind of forced once most of the goalies got drafted.

Hart at 48, Parsons at 54, Gustavsson at 55, Fitzpatrick at 59. Leafs were more than likely going to draft a goalie this year but sure they were not expecting all those goalies to go right before the 62nd pick.

It's really hard to predict goalies and Woll still fits into the potential starter category due to the randomness that comes with them, so I'm fine with the pick.

Yeah I kind of wonder if this was the guy they wanted. All the other goalies packed within 11 picks of each other is kind of crazy.

Is his name actually pronounced "wall"?

I literally can't think of any other way you could pronounce "WOLL"

SEER

Sep 21, 2015
Joseph Woll
Goalie -- shoots L
Born Jul 12 1998 -- Dardenne Prairie, MO
17 yrs. ago
Height 6.03 -- Weight 201

RECENT STATS:

2015-16 - Team USA U-18 Team -WJC U20
3 Games... 2 Wins.. 0 Losses... 1 Tie... *1 S/O..
.947 SV % ... 1.34 GAA..
-------------------------------------------------------------
2015-16 USNTDP Juniors - USHL
12 Games... 6 Wins.. 4 Losses... 1Tie... *0 S/O's..
.898 SV % ... 2.60 GAA.
-------------------------------------------------------------
2015-16 - US National U18 Team - USDP
33 Games... 20 Wins.. 9 Losses... 1 Ties... * 2 S/O's..
.918 SV % ... 2.14 GAA..

Brick Wall: Joseph Woll 2015-16 Highlights - TML (HD)

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
I am a huge fan of this pick. Athletic, HUGE goalie when you factor in that he's 17 and already 6'3. Lines up perfectly with his age and Andersen's term, plus the with young age of guys like Matthews, Marner and Nylander.

SEER

Sep 21, 2015
Nope, watch the Paul Hendricks interview with his family, it's pronounced "hole". Someone confirmed this as well from before

Watch the video interview above at the start.. He refers to "brick wall".. being suitable..

TMLeafs18

Aug 7, 2015
Canada
Don't know what it is about this kid but I have very high hopes for him. Ever since his draft year I keyed in on him as I had no idea who he was. The more I got to know and the more I followed him the more I really started to love the pick. His limited playing time in the WJC last year and so far in this summer show case he is showing very well. looks like he has a very good shot at the starting job. I hope he has another solid season with Boston College.

Keep Sorokin Me Babe

Hit em with the four like
Jun 18, 2016
I assumed Hendricks asked his family how to pronounce their name prior to the interview, but seems like people are pronouncing it "Wall" now

keon

Nov 9, 2002
Visit site
I am a huge fan of this pick. Athletic, HUGE goalie when you factor in that he's 17 and already 6'3. Lines up perfectly with his age and Andersen's term, plus the with young age of guys like Matthews, Marner and Nylander.

Can you believe he turned 19 on July 12?

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
Will bump in a few more years just to show you how wrong you really were. Projecting him as a 17yr old is ridiculous.

Huh... what?

Re-read my comment before acting all condescending.

- I did not project him to be anything.

- My comment referred to his age at the time (which was in fact 17 despite him turning 18 not too long after) and the size he was already at between 17-18.

- It also referred to him being athletic, which is evident by watching him.

So please, keep your condescending comments to yourself. They add nothing to any sort of discussion and make you look like you're looking to pick a fight with people on a forum.

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
Huh... what?

- My comment referred to his age at the time (which was in fact 17 despite him turning 18 not too long after) and the size he was already at between 17-18.

So please, keep your condescending comments to yourself. They add nothing to any sort of discussion and make you look like you're looking to pick a fight with people on a forum.

What was condescending about my post?

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Happy to keep him in school for another year or so, then get him onto the Marlies, if we're lucky he can back-up Andersen in the last year of his current deal.

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
He's quite articulate for his age. His filler words aren't that annoying.

Like "um" or "special" ;)

Yes he is well trained. My filler words would've been silence I think. Impressed by these young guys generally.

Glad the tweak he had in the Leafs junior camp in July hasn't affected him in this showcase.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
Let him play his 2 or 3 more years of college and then off to the Marlies for a couple more. :thumbu:

Finnish your Czech

J'aime Les offres hostiles
Nov 25, 2009
Toronto
Huh... what?

He was being sarcastic

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->