2016 LMHF Report - Game #3

LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

May 15, 2003
E-town
EDMONTON 4

VS.

WASHINGTON 7

The pigeon's gone and so is the winning.
-------------------------------------------

There are losses that are hard to watch. This really wasn't one of them. That is one hell of a hockey team they have in Washington, and for a while the Oilers actually hung in with them. I wager if they had a group of 6 NHL defensemen they may well have beaten them, but they don't.

It amazing to watch a team capable of attacking that quickly. They're truly a treat. Kuznetsov is something else. When you can make Ovechkin look like an afterthought you must be. When the time came to clamp down they were able to do so as well.

I'm not seeing how I could fault the coaching tonight. They made some adjustments and did some things better as the game went on, but combining lack of talent with getting caught up ice and taking some bad penalties meant that there were too many pucks going into the net.

The team just didn't have enough to give. I'm more okay with that than I would've been if they hadn't just won 3 in a row for sure and at least you got to watch an entertaining hockey game. That was a damn fine hockey team beating a flawed but rising hockey team that showed some fight. I can deal with that.

--------------------

Nilsson
- He didn't really allow any bad goals. They were either breakaways or tic-tac passing plays from side to side with little defensive coverage. Sure, he didn't make a number of big saves that he maybe could have, but it wasn't on Nilsson tonight.

Talbot
- He played okay, though he didn't face the chances that Nilsson did. The shot from Kuznetsov was pretty far out but he was also screened pretty badly. Tonight really hangs on this next group of guys.

Klefbom
- Maybe the worst game I've seen him play. He had nothing. Couldn't defend positionally, couldn't move the puck, couldn't hit. He had no hope against the skilled Capitals players. Very disappointing for a guy you'd expect to step up in a game like this. His offensive game is really slumbering right now and to see the rest of it bottoming out too is disturbing. They have no one to replace him with, so he needs to keep playing, but he almost needs to take a seat.

Schultz
- Oh boy. That was something else. Schultz had no hope when the Capitals stretched the neutral zone. He couldn't read the passes, couldn't anticipate, couldn't block the lanes or recover to get back. You might as well have had a pylon back there tonight. The "jump ball" play was a classic example but I think it's being over-emphasized. Terrible that he didn't get the puck out for sure, but there was a lot of bad play throughout the whole night.

Ference
- What can you say at this point? Brutal. Gave the puck away over and over. Took stupid penalties. Cost his team. What a waste. There were at least two specific instances where Eric Gryba circled around with the puck to wait and avoid passing it to Ference. You don't see a player with limited skills do that unless his defensive partner is a total trainwreck.

Gryba
- One of the only guys who played okay on the back end. He showed patience with the puck on a number of occasions and actually fought off some Capitals charges, but still could have been better.

Sekera
- Yeah, he performed way below expectations tonight. Again, this was a big game and a big opportunity. You need your big money D men to step up. He along with Klefbom were easily the most disappointing defencemen. That screen of Kuznetsov's shot was weak. You either need to get out of the way or block that shot. You could attack the puck. You can't just stand there. Where's the passing? Where's the transition to the attack?

Fayne
- I don't remember seeing him really. Suspect he could have defended better. Didn't catch how many SH goals he was on for.

Pouliot-McDavid-Yakupov
- The only continuously dangerous line, but they couldn't find the gear in the third period. Loved the goals they scored. One hard working forecheck goal and one off a rush to the net sort of play. Very nice. Needed more. I'm glad they got more ice time. Pouliot has come around a ton. Some very nice plays. Yakupov has learned a very important lesson - he still makes mistakes but he often recovers from them very well and gets the puck back. This is really important. McDavid was McDavid. That's the new line. He makes Hopkins' top gear look slow. That's amazing. Could have done more tonight, but that's okay. What they did should have been enough really.

Hall-Hopkins-Klinkhammer and a cast of thousands.
- McClellan is struggling with his Eberle deficit combined with the fact that the above line is producing consistently. Klinkhammer actually played pretty well in the first, scoring a goal and playing a fast, physical game. I'm not sure what he did to get demoted. Maybe I missed it. Or maybe they just wanted to try to get some more offense because both Slepyshev (who again I thought looked quite good in limited time) and Purcell (who looked okay but couldn't hit the damn net) got chances. Hall I thought was okay. I'm starting to think the refs are getting in his head and that he also might be getting a bit of a reputation among the officials. He's not getting any breaks despite being a hard skating player who goes into high traffic. This is unusual. He wasn't that great with the puck though. Hopkins played another consistently even game. I'm waiting for a higher gear but he is playing well.

Korpikoski-Lander-Purcell
- Weird night for this group. Korpikoski got himself benched for something, though i'm not sure what. Bad PK work maybe? Lack of forecheck? Lander was just okay. Didn't have a good faceoff night and didn't generate offence but wasn't really making mistakes. Purcell was okay and got himself promoted. He is such a strong shooter but the accuracy is WAY off at the moment. He was better with the puck too.

Gazdic-Letestu-Slepyshev
- These guys didn't play much tonight aside from Slepyshev's promotion and Letestu on the powerplay. I can't really bag on them because their roles were so varied.

Any idea who the McLellan 4-5 were? I'd guess Klefbom, Ference, Schultz and Korpikoski based on deployment but due to the skill with which he delivered his comments, we don't know!
------------------------------------

The Oilers need to be better. They can't have plays going up the middle and sneaking in behind the defence like that. Hopefully this isn't a matter of the team getting comfortable. I don't sense that from the top line or from some of the new additions, but MAYBE from some of the remaining D and remaining forwards. I guess we'll see. I think this is just a bump in the road.

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
I am grumpy (mostly because I missed what I'm assuming was an exciting goalfest in the first) but Washington is crazy good right now. They played trackmeet incredibly well and also shut us the **** down. Damn Schultz had a severe case of the Trotz tonight.

Opinion on the atmosphere tonight?
I thought the crowd was a lot more into it. Quite possibly drunk into it, but into it.

McShiva

5-14-6-1
Aug 27, 2010
Thanks for these reports, I actually find them better than the cult of Hockey reports because of their bias towards certain players. They always point out Yaks mistakes but ignore halls etc.

Even the top line was a bit off. Yak made a couple mistakes clearing the zone, though he did make the right play when Nilsson lost his stick. He tried to block the shot, but couldn't do anything about the pass because he handed his stick to Nilsson, who dropped that too, as he was too busy trying to pick it up instead of stopping the shooter. The other players were just watching really. McDavid though I felt didn't play that well, or at least the way he played the previous 3 games. Poo was good.

My problem was at the point in the game where it fell apart even before it actually happened, and that is Hall. He tried to do it all by himself, got stripped from the puck, then took a tripping call. It was 3-3, and then the Caps scored 3 goals straight after, but at that moment, I said to myself well, game over. I felt the rest of the line just wasn't that great, and the 3 and 4th lines disappeared, though Lander was the best of the bunch.

Schultz and Klefblom played horrible, and it really is time to put Ference out to pasture. Gryba actually did ignore playing the puck to Ference a couple times, that tells you. The other pair was just okay.

Nilsson I felt was just bad. Looked very shaky, and a few of those goals he would have stopped his other 2 games.

Washington just owned this game, the entire defense was just not very good. Hopefully Chia can pull a trade soon for a upgrade to our defense, because this is what will sink this team this season.

Bangers

May 31, 2006
Re: Hall and the referees - I've noticed this since his rookie year. He did chirp a lot as a rookie, but since then he's dialed it down and still gets no love.

ZJuice

pickle juice connoisseur
May 17, 2010
Edmonton
Re: Hall and the referees - I've noticed this since his rookie year. He did chirp a lot as a rookie, but since then he's dialed it down and still gets no love.

Do you expect love when you don't give people the finger for driving poorly? It's about time he stopped

Last edited:

McOilbleeder

We are all Kloppites
Aug 5, 2006
Oil Country
What did McLellan say?

A few things:

Todd McLellan: “I’ve been disappointed in our team this year, the Dallas game in particular but tonight I was more disappointed in individuals. We’re a good team but we can’t afford to have four or five guys not with us. We had guys who played 18 minutes who didn’t get a shot or a hit. Pretty poor individual line.”

"We overwhelmed ourselves with stupidity in some areas." - Oilers coach Todd McLellan

Coach McLellan says he will be having individual meetings with several #Oilers players to address some of tonight's shortcomings.

Just some quotes. Love that he didn't throw people under the bus by name.

Any idea who the McLellan 4-5 were? I'd guess Klefbom, Ference, Schultz and Korpikoski based on deployment but due to the skill with which he delivered his comments, we don't know!

Have to suspect he meant Schultz, Klefbom and Lander. Those guys aren't doing enough with their icetime.
I suspect that one of Fayne or Schultz is getting dropped down to being paired with Reinhart/Ference/Davison next game and Gryba promoted. Gryba has yet to have a bad game (in my estimation) and his ice time at EV is increasing every game.

LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

May 15, 2003
E-town
A few things:

Have to suspect he meant Schultz, Klefbom and Lander. Those guys aren't doing enough with their icetime.
I suspect that one of Fayne or Schultz is getting dropped down to being paired with Reinhart/Ference/Davison next game and Gryba promoted. Gryba has yet to have a bad game (in my estimation) and his ice time at EV is increasing every game.

Klefbom played some with Gryba in this one. Not sure whether that was a promotion, demotion or just shaking things up.

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
The more I see Klefbom the more I feel we are going to regret that extension.

Pah. He's been our best defenceman this year. That was a horrible game but man, people see one bad game and its right to the ledge again.

Dump Klefbom now just like Petry! Don't develop d-men, just trade them if they're not immediately #1 pairing!

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
A few things:

Oh sure, as Replacement furiously crosschecks which players didn't have a shot or a hit. First bet being Purcell..;)

jk aside good quotes as usual.

Thing is Mclellan and the coaching staff had it nailed before the Detroit game. The team, after a meager 2 wins were already resting on laurels and had two bad practices in a row. The performance against Dallas was sloppy and I stated if the Oilers played like that against the much better Caps it would be a long night. This was so predictable, to everybody involved.

Interesting thing in this one is Mclelland putting Nillson in for this game probably meant they weren't expecting the team to have a chance in this one anyway. But Nillson was so bad he still required Talbot to have to come in for 30mins.

Its starting to look a lot like we only have 1 goalie. Talbots work load just increased a whole lot from here on in.

edit; taking the coach literally Sekera and Klefbom had no shots and hits. How do you even play D without any hits?
Klefbom also -4.

Klefbom is likely getting talked to. That's the most obvious one. Shultz another.

Last edited:

McShiva

5-14-6-1
Aug 27, 2010
Blogs figure it's also Korpi and Purcell that will be talked too as well. Wouldn't be that surprised if TMac sent a real message, sat out Purcell for the Fin.

OnTheBrink

Apr 19, 2013
Airdrie
Oh sure, as Replacement furiously crosschecks which players didn't have a shot or a hit. First bet being Purcell..;)

jk aside good quotes as usual.

Thing is Mclellan and the coaching staff had it nailed before the Detroit game. The team, after a meager 2 wins were already resting on laurels and had two bad practices in a row. The performance against Dallas was sloppy and I stated if the Oilers played like that against the much better Caps it would be a long night. This was so predictable, to everybody involved.

Interesting thing in this one is Mclelland putting Nillson in for this game probably meant they weren't expecting the team to have a chance in this one anyway. But Nillson was so bad he still required Talbot to have to come in for 30mins.

Its starting to look a lot like we only have 1 goalie. Talbots work load just increased a whole lot from here on in.

edit; taking the coach literally Sekera and Klefbom had no shots and hits. How do you even play D without any hits?
Klefbom also -4.

Klefbom is likely getting talked to. That's the most obvious one. Shultz another.

Todd said in his presser today that those were 2 of the players, never mentioned any other ones though, those 2 were specifically asked about though.

LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

May 15, 2003
E-town
Klefbom is likely getting talked to. That's the most obvious one. Schultz another.

I understand Schultz having a bad game, but Klefbom honestly looked like he was out for a Sunday skate after hitting the buffet way too hard and having a fall flu. That was bad and stunning at the same time.

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
Lidstrom averaged barely over a hit every two games.
I think the point is that if you're not contributing with good play, then you better be contributing with shots and hits.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad