Prospect Info: 2016 Leafs Pick - 57th Overall (WSH) - Carl Grundstrom - RW - Modo Hockey [6-0/180]

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
If chosen in the first round Swedish born players can play in the AHL as 18-19 year olds (like Nylander and Liljegren).
Those Swedish born players chosen after the first round of the draft have only two options either play in the NHL or in Sweden.
Grundstrom turned 20 in December so I expect he will be brought over to play in the Marlies Calder Cup run as long as his season in Sweden has ended.

this is what I was talking about @Joey Hoser. As a non 1st round pick Grundstrom had 2 options

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Ya his coach says he plays the Canadian style of hockey more so than most Canadians!
That should stead us well and I liked what he's shown last year in the Calder playoffs and at the start of this year in camp.

He's definitely looked good when I've seen him on NA ice surfaces, guys that like to play that NA style tend to transition out of that larger ice surface much easier

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
Aren't shootout winners included as a goal in the SHL? Would be curious how many of his 14 goals were actually scored during play.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
With Komarov and JVR gone next season. Grundstrom has a shot to make the Leafs in October, though I tend to think he will be AHL bound first. Kapanen, Johnson and Leivo best choices in October to stick and play for Leafs.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
With Komarov and JVR gone next season. Grundstrom has a shot to make the Leafs in October, though I tend to think he will be AHL bound first. Kapanen, Johnson and Leivo best choices in October to stick and play for Leafs.
I wouldsay kapanen is a lock, johnsson and grundstrom are on par and leivo is still the odd man out

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
I wouldsay kapanen is a lock, johnsson and grundstrom are on par and leivo is still the odd man out

Johnson is three years older than Grunstrom and finally "got it" with regards to playing in North America. At least short term I think he has the inside track next October. But hey you can't have too many good players. And what's the name of that second pick Russian who might come over next season. Korshev? He's played two years in the KHL

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
He's definitely looked good when I've seen him on NA ice surfaces, guys that like to play that NA style tend to transition out of that larger ice surface much easier

am I misremembering or was he not in camp most of the preseason, like after numerous rounds of cuts he was still here. I think, and it isn't a giant leap, babs was really starting to like him but he got a bit injured towards the end of camp. He for sure played at least a couple of pre season games

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Johnson is three years older than Grunstrom and finally "got it" with regards to playing in North America. At least short term I think he has the inside track next October. But hey you can't have too many good players. And what's the name of that second pick Russian who might come over next season. Korshev? He's played two years in the KHL
Ya Korshkov looks good but between him and grundstrom I give the nod to grundstrom as hes played here and by the words of his coach "plays more canadian than most canadians"
I like johnsson a lot and want to see him make the team, but I just think the 2 are close because grundstrom has size over johnsson and both are fairly equal skill wise.
The tip on johnssons side is if he can find his scorig touch in the nhl. I think he might be able to outscore grundstrom but who knows until it actually happens.

leafsfuture

Mar 30, 2008
Grundstrom obviously is highly regarded. I think Sheldon Keefe was blown away by how good he was last year in the AHL playoffs. The transition to small ice was seemless and was instantly a Marlie regular

horner

May 22, 2007
Can he play for the Marlies or the Leafs when his season is finished ?
Same question for Korchkov ?

tokiih

Nov 30, 2017
Whens the SHL playoff start?

The eights start March 12th but Frolunda (Grundstrom's team) will most likely be direct qualified to the quarterfinals. They start 18th. Game 7 of the finals will be played on April 28th so that's the latest date he can be available if they go all the way.

Reactions: saltming

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
it feels good to have a top 5 NHL team and still have guys like Grundstrom ready to come in for cheap and be strong depth players for us

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
am I misremembering or was he not in camp most of the preseason, like after numerous rounds of cuts he was still here. I think, and it isn't a giant leap, babs was really starting to like him but he got a bit injured towards the end of camp. He for sure played at least a couple of pre season games

He stayed in camp, playing and hanging around the team longer than I thought he would

Babcock seemed to take a bit of a shine to him to which doesn't hurt either

The kid plays a game that compliments our NHL personnel and brings a bit of grit that a lot of other guys don't with a solid 2way game

I wouldn't be surprised if he's on the team out of camp next season

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
I love Grundstrom.

He's a guy that's really flying under the radar relative to his quality due to falling on draft day and coming into organization with so much top end talent. He's a guy that no one would have blinked if he went in the first round.

A U19 season comparable to Kempe and Eriksson-Ek
A U20 toWennberg, with goals to L. Andersson and Eriksson-Ek
The best U21 goal scoring season this century

Reactions: NoTouchIcing

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
well history has told us that leivo isn't hard to beat out for an nhl roster spot, and after that its only ennis, he could make the team

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Might be a guy that launches himself onto the prospect community's radar this season:

thats what we need a top6 LW, 1 year in the marlies hopefully dominate then next year when marleau is gone Grundstrom hopefully can take his spot.
Grundstrom-MAtthews-Nylander would be unreal

Reactions: Garthinater

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->