Prospect Info: 2016 Leafs Pick - 57th Overall (WSH) - Carl Grundstrom - RW - Modo Hockey [6-0/180]

Silver91

Agent 0091
May 27, 2007
Unknown
no, he is the type of player Babcock will fall head of heels in love with. Basically a more skilled hyman/komarov hybrid. Its not out of the realm of possibility he makes it out of camp this season forcing a trade or a unexpected player to be a healthy scratch, brown maybe for example

I mean, I can definitely see Babcock falling in love with him, and him making the opening night roster. But that's also ~5 months away...as of right now, Brown is firmly entrenched ahead of him on the roster. Moving forward, who knows? Maybe Brown gets traded this summer as part of a package to upgrade. Maybe JVR is moved and Grundstrom wins the battle for his spot.

Who knows, but by no means would I be shocked to see Carl on the team next year.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
I mean, I can definitely see Babcock falling in love with him, and him making the opening night roster. But that's also ~5 months away...as of right now, Brown is firmly entrenched ahead of him on the roster. Moving forward, who knows? Maybe Brown gets traded this summer as part of a package to upgrade. Maybe JVR is moved and Grundstrom wins the battle for his spot.

Who knows, but by no means would I be shocked to see Carl on the team next year.

this was my point, I chose a good player and said healthy scratch to show the shock Grundstrom could cause

Duke16

Apr 14, 2015
Ontario
So is it really NHL or SHL? Since he's not a 2nd round pick and is of "Junior Age" he can't play in the AHL apparently. My question is how is he Junior Age when he'll be too old for the WJC this year (20 in December)?

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
So is it really NHL or SHL? Since he's not a 2nd round pick and is of "Junior Age" he can't play in the AHL apparently. My question is how is he Junior Age when he'll be too old for the WJC this year (20 in December)?

I don't think age has anything to do with it. The NHL and shl have an agreement players not drafted in the 1st round can only go to NHL or shl for similar reasons as the ohl agreement to keep good Swedish kids at home longer

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS

If he wanted to play in the AHL I am sure the Leafs would find a way to make it work but I am pretty sure I read somewhere that he wants to play in Sweden until he is ready to make the jump over right into the NHL.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
If he wanted to play in the AHL I am sure the Leafs would find a way to make it work but I am pretty sure I read somewhere that he wants to play in Sweden until he is ready to make the jump over right into the NHL.

Just like if Marner wanted to play in the ahl the leafs could find a way when he was with London? There is an agreement just like the ohl agreement. now maybe it allows for NHL teams to pay Swedish teams to allow grundstrom types to play in ahl I don't know but if not I think he has to play in the NHL or Sweden no getting out of it

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
I don't think age has anything to do with it. The NHL and shl have an agreement players not drafted in the 1st round can only go to NHL or shl for similar reasons as the ohl agreement to keep good Swedish kids at home longer

How were Viktor Loov and Andreas Johnsson and other Swedes able to play with the Marlies over the years? Permission? Is there any age at which they would have the freedom to leave Sweden for the AHL?

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
How were Viktor Loov and Andreas Johnsson and other Swedes able to play with the Marlies over the years? Permission? Is there any age at which they would have the freedom to leave Sweden for the AHL?
I don't remember the Loov situation but Johnsson played out his SHL contract.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto

the agreement has been in place for 1 or 2 seasons only. Those 2 played for the marlies before it was in place. Also i think salt is right its contracted players

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Just like if Marner wanted to play in the ahl the leafs could find a way when he was with London? There is an agreement just like the ohl agreement. now maybe it allows for NHL teams to pay Swedish teams to allow grundstrom types to play in ahl I don't know but if not I think he has to play in the NHL or Sweden no getting out of it

It would basically come down to the Leafs and Grundstroms SHL team coming to an agreement on it. So it isn't the same as Marner in the OHL where if he goes he goes and can't come back. In the end I think he is going to end up back in Sweden for this season anyways.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough

I'm sorry but you're wrong.

Tom Nilsson from a few years back was in the same situation as Grundstrom and the Leafs made it work.

The Swedish Ice Hockey agreement and the Canadian Hockey League agreement are incredibly different.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo

Tom Nilsson from a few years back was in the same situation as Grundstrom and the Leafs made it work.

The Swedish Ice Hockey agreement and the Canadian Hockey League agreement are incredibly different.

D+2 vs D+4.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto

This agreement has only been in effect for 2 years and I think only 2 drafts. They may have revised the old agreement. Nilsson has been out of our organization for as long as this agreement has taken effect.

In saying that I very well could be wrong but your Nilsson example doesn't prove it

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
Grundstrom currently has the highest goals per game average of any U21 player in the SHL this century (followed by Lindblom and Johnsson). This season he is 6th in GPG among all SHL players right behind Petersson (.45 vs .50 GPG). He's also the second highest forward on the team for individual shot rate in all situations. Might have to spend some time with the Marlies due to depth, but he's looking like a shoe-in for the Leafs top 9 at some point next season. Looks a lot like Hornqvist.

Coming off a multi-goal game and shootout winner in the past week.

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017

He was ineligible to play in the AHL this year due to some Swedish-NHL agreement and Frolunda is supposed to be a contender or something. I don't think he ever said anything about wanting to jump straight to the NHL. As much as I like him, I don't think he's at the level where he can make such demands.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Grundstrom currently has the highest goals per game average of any U21 player in the SHL this century (followed by Lindblom and Johnsson). This season he is 6th in GPG among all SHL players right behind Petersson (.45 vs .50 GPG). He's also the second highest forward on the team for individual shot rate in all situations. Might have to spend some time with the Marlies due to depth, but he's looking like a shoe-in for the Leafs top 9 at some point next season. Looks a lot like Hornqvist.

Coming off a multi-goal game and shootout winner in the past week.

So Carl Grundstrom- Currently the highest U21 SHL gpg this century (Leafs Johnsson third, Flyers Lindblom 2nd.

Tracks very nicely compared to guys like Hornqvist/Silvferberg

Psht trying to one up me with your fancy details and newfangled media embedding

Reactions: Elephanto and 95

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
It worked! I like all the flashy lights in vids and things haha

He plays a very NA style apparently, goes hard to the net and likes to get his nose dirty with some goal scoring instincts

That could be useful with our high skill pass first playmakers

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph

I don't know that there are hard and fast rules about it. Nylander came over mid-season because it made sense at the time.

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
Been excited about this kid ever since we drafted him. In the pre-season this year he really impressed me! Hope he can play in the upcoming season! Would look great beside Matthews or Nylander.

DANTHEMAN1967

Aug 10, 2016
If chosen in the first round Swedish born players can play in the AHL as 18-19 year olds (like Nylander and Liljegren).
Those Swedish born players chosen after the first round of the draft have only two options either play in the NHL or in Sweden.
Grundstrom turned 20 in December so I expect he will be brought over to play in the Marlies Calder Cup run as long as his season in Sweden has ended.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
He plays a very NA style apparently, goes hard to the net and likes to get his nose dirty with some goal scoring instincts

That could be useful with our high skill pass first playmakers
Ya his coach says he plays the Canadian style of hockey more so than most Canadians!
That should stead us well and I liked what he's shown last year in the Calder playoffs and at the start of this year in camp.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
I don't know that there are hard and fast rules about it. Nylander came over mid-season because it made sense at the time.

im pretty sure it was put in place even after nylander came over. It maybe only 1 yr old but I was reading about it at the time of that post. They changed the agreement, we sent Grundstrom to the marlies at the start of the season, but he never played a game and then went back to the SHL not long after.

I have searched for info on this but cant find it, maybe I dreamed it up but im sure I saw something about it at the time of that post.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad