Prospect Info: 2016 Leafs Pick - 122nd Overall - Vladimir Bobylev - LW - Victoria Royals [6-2/202]

AnArmchairScout

Jun 18, 2016
Project, put him on a line with skilled players and he will create space for his linemates.

Has more confidence with the puck as the season goes on. Goes hard to the net, LOVES to shoot the puck. Plays on emotion, when he's on though, he's very hard to stop, skating is getting better, hands are good, shot is good.

Many people can describe him as this.

Solid depth guy, could be a versatile bottom six guy, will be a solid AHL guy. No guarantees, all up to him to see his improvement.

LV*

Free my bro Leivo
Aug 26, 2012
Toronto
Project, put him on a line with skilled players and he will create space for his linemates.

Has more confidence with the puck as the season goes on. Goes hard to the net, LOVES to shoot the puck. Plays on emotion, when he's on though, he's very hard to stop, skating is getting better, hands are good, shot is good.

Many people can describe him as this.

Solid depth guy, could be a versatile bottom six guy, will be a solid AHL guy. No guarantees, all up to him to see his improvement.

Would you believe me if I told you NHLers started using the word pigeon as an insult after Troy Brouwer called my friend a pigeon on twitter :laugh:

highslot

Jul 10, 2012
From a Russian member:

Bobylyov is a physically gifted high energy and work rate winger with good offensive instincts. At the offseason he successfully went through a hardcore training camp of the Spartak Moscow KHL team and that is a clear sign that at least physically he is ready for pro hockey. No surprise he had a breakthrough year getting to an almost ppg level in the WHL. His offensive package can't be called elite, but his skating and stickhandling are pretty solid for a big guy and the finishing and overall offensive sense are there. Defensive game needs to be polished a bit, since it is critical for players of Bobylyov's type.

Comparison/Projection: high energy two-way power winger who could look good almost anywhere in the lineup.
At the draft day: kid looks totally worth of a sixth round pick to me, maybe even a bit higher. Edmonton got two picks at that region.
After the draft day: one more season in the WHL mostly for developing a better defensive game and then the AHL.

sounds like a panik that works harder?

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Care to explain any further what this "hardcore Soviet-style training camp" is like? And especially the use of the word "Survival" when referring to completing it. :laugh: I'm very intrigued.

It's like when you're having so heavy off-ice trainings that you can't even go down to the dining room by yourself, because your legs are living their own life after that kind of trainings. :)

Dayjobdave

Apr 29, 2010
A quick check of his game by game stats last year shows 32 Points in his last 20 games.

A small sample but he definitely gained momentum. :)

Love this pick

TheLeastOfTheBunch

Franchise Centre
Jun 28, 2007
Toronto
A quick check of his game by game stats last year shows 32 Points in his last 20 games.

A small sample but he definitely gained momentum. :)

Love this pick

Yup, and Jack Walker had 41 points in his last 24 games. Both put up impressive numbers on a very deep Royals team, so it's easy to see why Leafs think they have two hidden gems here in Bobylev and Walker.

RyanOhReally

Jan 21, 2015
Georgetown, ON
Him and Walker play opposite of each other? That'd be a cool little thing to have moving forward. Like an extreme version of WJC chemistry people mention; Nylander and Timashov comes to mind

ShLou Foot

6-8-5-13
Jul 3, 2011
crusoed

RyanOhReally

Jan 21, 2015
Georgetown, ON
That's pretty awesome! It's a good idea, the only thing is, it was hard for Korshkov to get ice time at 19/20, it'll probably be even harder for Bobylov

So 1 year might turn into 2-3 just to get the experience in.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Do the Leafs retain his rights for 2 or 4 years?

I know he was drafted out of the CHL but was he loaned there?

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
That's pretty awesome! It's a good idea, the only thing is, it was hard for Korshkov to get ice time at 19/20, it'll probably be even harder for Bobylov

So 1 year might turn into 2-3 just to get the experience in.

Korshkov plays for a much better team. Spartak is a typical bottom feeder team right now, it's great for young guys (or not that great, because they will lose a lot of games), but it's still a big enough step from CHL to KHL. It's hard to say, whether he's ready or not.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Do the Leafs retain his rights for 2 or 4 years?

I know he was drafted out of the CHL but was he loaned there?

For under 20 players out of CHL it should be 4 years, but since Bobylyov will now play in KHL, he can receive the "defected" status, which means Leafs hold his rights indefinitely.

GBLeaf

Feb 13, 2014
England, GB.
Great way of maintaining quality of prospects, but also managing numbers well, encourage them to go get some great experience in the KHL, don't perceive it to be negative and push them away, maintain a positive relationship, and let them know there's a home for them when they grow as players.

SEER

Sep 21, 2015
I'm experimenting with a new program in these new prospect videos.., so please excuse my "extrs" errors..

Vladimir Bobylev
(a.k.a.: Vladimir Bobylov / Bobylyov)
Left Wing -- shoots L
Born Apr 18 1997 -- Lipetsk, Russia
19 yrs. ago
Height 6.02 -- Weight 203

RECENT STATS:

2014-15 Vancouver Giants - WHL
52 Games... 3 Goals... 6 Assists... 9 Points... -2
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
2015-16 - Victoria Royals - WHL
72 Games... 28 Goals... 39 Assists... 67 Points... * +45
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
2016 WHL PLAYOFFS
5 Games... 0 Goals... 7 Assists... 7 Points... +4 *PPG+

Royal Rider: All Vladimir Bobylev's 2015-16 Season Goals - TML

SEER

Sep 21, 2015
Watch the Walker video and you will see a lot of his assists, too..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad