Prospect Info: 2016 Leafs Board Prospect Ranking #27

Status
Not open for further replies.

Schenn

In Rod We Trust
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2009
Huron County
I will make a thread everyday until we have determined the top 30 prospects according to Leaf fans on HFBoards.

Rankings:
1. Auston Matthews -- 90.30%
2. Mitch Marner -- 77.42%
3. William Nylander -- 96.95%
4. Connor Brown -- 35.79%
5. Nikita Zaitsev -- 57.87%
6. Kasperi Kapanen -- 37.50%
7. Connor Carrick -- 35.27%
8. Travis Dermott -- 35.59%
9. Nikita Soshnikov -- 44.68%
10. Andreas Johnson -- 31.60%
11. Dmytro Timashov -- 26.03%
12. Kerby Rychel -- 42.38%
13. Andrew Nielsen -- 31.48%
14. Yegor Korshkov -- 32.60%
15. Brandon Leipsic -- 23.97%
16. Rinat Valiev -- 24.09%
17. Jeremy Bracco -- 26.42%
18. Carl Grundstrom -- 29.30%
19. Zach Hyman -- 38.10%
20. Josh Leivo -- 55.17%
21. Tobias Lindberg -- 22.12%
22. Frederik Gauthier -- 29.52%
23. Joseph Woll -- 38.37%
24. Adam Brooks -- 34.96%
25. JD Greenway -- 39.81%
26. Martins Dzierkals -- 51.52%

Nicolas Mattinen
Vladimir Bobylev
Trevor Moore
Pierre Engvall
Antoine Bibeau
Stephen Desrocher
Dakota Joshua
Nikolai Chebykin
Nikita Korostelev
Jack Walker
Jesper Lindgren
Nolan Vesey
Tony Cameranesi
Garret Sparks
Keaton Middleton
Frankie Corrado
Kasimir Kaskisuo
Dominic Toninato
John Piccinich
Viktor Loov

Prospect Ranking #1
Prospect Ranking #2
Prospect Ranking #3
Prospect Ranking #4
Prospect Ranking #6
Prospect Ranking #7
Prospect Ranking #8
Prospect Ranking #9
Prospect Ranking #10
Prospect Ranking #11
Prospect Ranking #11 Tie Breaker
Prospect Ranking #12
Prospect Ranking #13
Prospect Ranking #14
Prospect Ranking #15
Prospect Ranking #16
Prospect Ranking #17
Prospect Ranking #18
Prospect Ranking #19
Prospect Ranking #20
Prospect Ranking #21
Prospect Ranking #22
Prospect Ranking #23
Prospect Ranking #24
Prospect Ranking #25
Prospect Ranking #26

Suggest who I should add next. :D

bobermay

Mar 6, 2009
Fredericton
My List

Tier 1
1) Matthews [1]
2) Marner [2]
3) Nylander [3]
4) Brown [4]
---------------------------

Tier 2
5) Dermott [8]
6) Johnson [10]
7) Korshkov [14]
8) Carrick [7]
9) Zaitsev [5]
10) Grundstrom [18]
11) Kapanen [6]
12) Timashov [11]
13) Soshnikov [9]
14) Nielsen [13]
---------------------------

Tier 3
16) Woll [23]
17) Greenway [25]
18) Hyman [19]
19) Bracco [17]
20) Lindgren
21) Valiev [16]
22) Brooks[ [24]
23) Leivo [20]
24) Leipsic [15]
25) Gauthier[/s] [22]
26) Dzierkals [26]
27) Lindberg [21]
--------------------------

Tier 4
28) Sparks
29) Corrado
30) Middleton
31) Kaskisuo
32) Loov
33) Bibeau
34) Bobylev
35) Moore
36) Walker
37) Mattinen
38) Chebykin (Think he'll be a riser next year)

Last edited:

Jeypic

Sep 12, 2015
What did lindgren do to impress so many? I thought he kinda had a challenging season and did alright considering limited minutes.. But he was still a very late pick.

I guess we're getting down to the bottom of our list though. I went with corrado.. He still has as much upside as most of these guys and his floor is already in the nhl.

Regsauceleafs

Jun 13, 2015
What did lindgren do to impress so many? I thought he kinda had a challenging season and did alright considering limited minutes.. But he was still a very late pick.

I guess we're getting down to the bottom of our list though. I went with corrado.. He still has as much upside as most of these guys and his floor is already in the nhl.

He was a 4th round pick a year ago, has good offensive talent and played some time in the top tier of the Swedish league. If he's 27th on our prospect board the leafs have nothing to worry about prospect wise, find me a better 27th best prospect in anyone's system, I think it would be impossible to do

Jeypic

Sep 12, 2015
He was a 4th round pick a year ago, has good offensive talent and played some time in the top tier of the Swedish league. If he's 27th on our prospect board the leafs have nothing to worry about prospect wise, find me a better 27th best prospect in anyone's system, I think it would be impossible to do

Wasn't complaining about the depth in the leafs prospect pool, so no thanks. Lindgren is a very boom/bust prospect as a 160lbs offensive dman. His totals last year showed zero boom imo.

We have new boom/bust prospects, who have an extra year of development time to show that boom.. Or who were drafted late, are the same age as lindgren, and had a better year. We also have high floor, low ceiling players on the board.

Maybe he should be picked here. I just dont think it should be almost unanimous.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON

He had a good season as an 18 year old defenseman in Sweden. I know we haven't had a lot of good ones out there lately, but he's definitely someone to watch.

He was also very good at prospect camp if that helps.

Good read on his past season if you want:

http://www.pensionplanpuppets.com/2016/2/3/10905448/checking-in-on-the-kids-jesper-lindgren

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Nylander would be #1 on about 20-25 teams in this league. with us he is #3. crazy

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
Wasn't complaining about the depth in the leafs prospect pool, so no thanks. Lindgren is a very boom/bust prospect as a 160lbs offensive dman. His totals last year showed zero boom imo.

We have new boom/bust prospects, who have an extra year of development time to show that boom.. Or who were drafted late, are the same age as lindgren, and had a better year. We also have high floor, low ceiling players on the board.

Maybe he should be picked here. I just dont think it should be almost unanimous.

I find it difficult to criticize any pick at #27, honestly. They're all similarly minimal prospects with similarly slim chances of becoming impactful pro hockey players at any level.

The Kessel Run

Jun 7, 2011
I find it difficult to criticize any pick at #27, honestly. They're all similarly minimal prospects with similarly slim chances of becoming impactful pro hockey players at any level.

I think Lindgren has a good chance at being an impactful pro. Time will tell...

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
I leave for 3 weeks and come back to see Loov can't even crack the top 27 with you people, what is this madness?

I have been thinking the same thing for awhile. Loov played up with the Leafs last year and was the most effective call up on defence. He looked completely comfortable and more than competent at the NHL level.

He hits, skates, and now makes defensive decisions well - something he seemed to work on more than his offensive game last year.

To me, Loov may be this year's Marincin. I see him stepping into an opportunity and not relinquishing it.

Lebanese Leaf

Sep 19, 2009
Toronto, ON
Which prospects would you rank him ahead of?

I have been thinking the same thing for awhile. Loov played up with the Leafs last year and was the most effective call up on defence. He looked completely comfortable and more than competent at the NHL level.

He hits, skates, and now makes defensive decisions well - something he seemed to work on more than his offensive game last year.

To me, Loov may be this year's Marincin. I see him stepping into an opportunity and not relinquishing it.

I honestly put Loov all the way up at 15. He is ahead of Valiev in development, and is more likely to make the team than Leipsic. I agree with the Marincin comparison.

67Cup

Sep 16, 2005
We're at #27 so anyone in this range is a long shot. But I think Loov has a better chance than others in this range or even a little earler, to make the NHL. He made it to the Show for a cup of coffee in his second pro year and got good reviews. A number of the other prospects may not get as far as Loov already has. The downside is that he is older and his window of opportunity is narrower than others on the list.

I have only seen Lindgren in one complete game and was not impressed. To be fair, it was only one game and the Swedish team as a whole was unimpressive that day. But it was clear Lindgren was the number seven blueliner on a meh team which isn't encouraging. I hope it was just an off day, that he makes the U20 team this year and shows the qualities some of the scouts have seen. We'll see. In the meantime, I think somewhere in the late 20's is about right for him in a prospect pool of this depth.

ChrisCall

Jun 25, 2012

This. I would have liked to have placed Loov more in the 15 range, maybe a bit higher, but ... that's just not how the voting flowed.

I wonder if he'll get the opportunity, given how many 1-way contracts are ahead of him, but if he does, i'm confident he'll stick. He showed during his NHL games last season that he makes solid choices under pressure. Smart plays. I was impressed by that... and of course his first pass is just awesome.

I still think there's scoring potential there too. He has a nice heavy shot and with that passing ability comes assists. Now, that may never translate to 40 point production, but i think in a full season we could see him put up 10 - 20 points per season by circumstance. (Note his 2 points with the Leafs last season both came from awesome plays. He made both goals happen.)

Some analysts feel he will be a better player in the NHL than the AHL, and i agree.

I see him settling in as a solid #4 / #5, but with enough smart choice making and pass ability to fit on a 2nd pairing. I just don't know if it will be with the Leafs, or to the benefit of some other team, or if he eventually heads back to Sweden to be the top guy on a contending team over there.

I hope he gets the chance this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad