GDT: 2016 Gold Medal Game • Russia vs. Finland pt 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

xxxx

Sep 20, 2012
Wow. What a game.

It was unbelievable when the Finns got into a 3-2 lead.
It was unbelievable when Russia tied it 7 second before the end.

Kapanen's goal, I think Toronto fans are happy they got him :)

What a beauty game.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
Much respect to team Russia and Russian fans on this thread keeping it pretty classy. Your team was tough as hell and would've deserved to win just as much as Finland.

Btw next summer's draft picks will be in this order:
1. Laine
2. Matthews
3. Puljujärvi

Laine is just a monster sniper and can grow even bigger in size and hopefully develop his shot even more and everything else. Also he's always great in interviews and very positive. I really like the guy.

Stanleyjub

Oct 24, 2009
hockey
Great game :)

jajaja.gif

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
It is really impressive that this 1996 group (about 10 players) lost 10-0 in a QF to Sweden in 2014 U18 tournament and now they won the gold at the U20's.

Remind me, who was the coach of that U-16 team? I would say Jalonen's presence and experience helped a lot in this U-20 tournament.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
This game is a perfect example of why European refs are superior to North Americans. European refs have that FU attitude - if you don't like my call, then FU! North American refs are part of show time operations, and they always cave in to crowd pressure. That's why you can look at any NHL game, and at the end of the night, both teams will accrue the same number of penalty minutes. North American refs frankly don't have the balls to call penalties as they are deserved - instead, they have to even them up at the end of the night.

The other problem for Russians when Canadians and Americans are working the game is that they are trained to see themselves as crusaders out to slay the bad guys with their whistle - and guess who the bad guys are! The crowd wasn't happy with the way things were going in the 2nd period, so they started demanding a Russian penalty every time there was a hint of a body check, or if someone accidentally bumped into a Finn! I don't blame the crowd, because it worked, and in the middle of the 2nd period the Canadian and American refs started calling a procession of penalties against the Russians that totally changed the momentum of the game. Russian posters predicted this would happen, and we were right. I have rarely complained about refereeing, but I hated seeing the Russian boys get screwed like that.

Saekki*

This game is a perfect example of why European refs are superior to North Americans. European refs have that FU attitude - if you don't like my call, then FU! North American refs are part of show time operations, and they always cave in to crowd pressure. That's why you can look at any NHL game, and at the end of the night, both teams will accrue the same number of penalty minutes. North American refs frankly don't have the balls to call penalties as they are deserved - instead, they have to even them up at the end of the night.

The other problem for Russians when Canadians and Americans are working the game is that they are trained to see themselves as crusaders out to slay the bad guys with their whistle - and guess who the bad guys are! The crowd wasn't happy with the way things were going in the 2nd period, so they started demanding a Russian penalty every time there was a hint of a body check, or if someone accidentally bumped into a Finn! I don't blame the crowd, because it worked, and in the middle of the 2nd period the Canadian and American refs started calling a procession of penalties against the Russians that totally changed the momentum of the game. Russian posters predicted this would happen, and we were right. I have rarely complained about refereeing, but I hated seeing the Russian boys get screwed like that.

Sure, sure, sure.

Usually your tears would taste so good, but i'm busy celebrating.

aahola

Mar 26, 2014
Finland
Show me the calls where Russians got a penalty when they shouldn't have. I'm curious to know how your world looks.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
I have rarely complained about refereeing, but I hated seeing the Russian boys get screwed like that.

When Russia beat Finland in men's tournament final in Belarus 1-2 years ago. The game where Malkin crosschecked Finnish player to the face with no penalty and broke his jaw was just the same. That wasn't the only call that was in favor of Russia and many Finns felt like Russia won that game with the help of refs and with the help of their homecrowd's presence that affected the referees' decisions.

So it's just the same when facing the host country of a tournament I guess. Russia was technically the host there and will be host again this spring and I know Russia will get some small benefit from the refs there. It's just the way it goes I guess...

aahola

Mar 26, 2014
Finland
When Russia beat Finland in men's tournament final in Belarus 1-2 years ago. The game where Malkin crosschecked Finnish player to the face with no penalty and broke his jaw was just the same. That wasn't the only call that was in favor of Russia and many Finns felt like Russia won that game with the help of refs and with the help of their homecrowd's presence that affected the referees' decisions.

So it's just the same when facing the host country of a tournament I guess. Russia was technically the host there and will be host again this spring and I know Russia will get some small benefit from the refs there. It's just the way it goes I guess...

That's just a silly argument, any two tournaments have zero relation to each other in this sense. Also feels like you agree that the refs were biased today, although at least I haven't seen any evidence of that whatsoever. :huh:

NOTENOUGHJTCGOALS

Feb 28, 2006
I hate the Biased north america refs. They obviously hate Finland for eliminating Canada. I saw at least 4 more obvious penalties Russia made that weren't called. Not to mention abusing the official should be a 5 minute penalty and game misconduct and suspension from future games. If the refs were able to hold their bias in check the Russians would be penalized properly. But this is always the case. Like in Olympics where Ovechkin made a hit to the head of Jagr but was not ejected.

behemolari

Dec 1, 2011

feel sorry for you, but then again Belarus finals were absolutely disgusting

Make

Apr 15, 2004
Finland
Couldn't take it anymore in the last minutes of the third and had to close the tv. Did the same thing in 2014 so I kind of felt it had to be done again so I won't jinx it. Heard some shouting soon after and had to take a peek, noticed Finland was up 3-2 and closed it again. Waited about 5 minutes and peeked again, saw about 30 seconds left and closed it again. Man those last minutes took forever! Next peek and I see a replay of the Russian goal. Decided no more peeks and waited a full hour before I dared to check the result.

I'm a weakling but I just had to follow the same procedure as last time. Can't believe they managed to win it again in such a fashion, and on home ice! Quite astounding that the last three junior championships for us have all been won in overtime. And twice at home too.

Got to give full credit to Russia too, they were even more dangerous than I feared. Very good team and they played a very good game. It's always tough watching the opponents so devastated after a loss. They should feel proud of themselves. There are potential NHL talents in that bunch. Thanks also for the nice HF conduct, very classy :handclap:.

What a team we had. They were down so often and always came back. Not only a victory but a victory with such talent that can help us for years to come. Sometimes you can win even with lesser talents, but this time we were truly talented and had some of the best players in the tournament. After all, for me this tournament is not so much about winning as it is about showing what kind of players we might have in the future. And it's looking good for us!

Acallabeth

Heart ablaze
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
Was an amazing game, full kudos to our team, a kind of silver medal you win.

Congrats to Finland, most talented Finnish WJC team I've ever seen. I would really draft Laine #1 overall.

Firsov99

Feb 17, 2006
Tough loss for team Russia. Both teams deserved to win, but there can only be one champion. Congrats to the Finns.

Firsov99

Feb 17, 2006
What did Kamenev do? Why did he get kicked out?

Anyone got a clip?
I don't think that there is any visual or audible proof of what happened there. We can only assume that he said something "unacceptable" to the ref and got a misconduct penalty. Then he broke his hockey stick and got a game misconduct.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->