GDT: 2016 Gold Medal Game • Russia vs. Finland pt 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Does that include the 30 minutes in penalties Kamenev racked up today? Because if so, that's a little disingenuous. FIN didn't even get a PP out of that (which they should have IMO).

Russia as a team (including Kamenev) had 40 PIMs today. That doesn't mean Finland had 20 powerplays :laugh:

+ 2+10 call in Sweden game, so didn't go exactly as that poster said.

BlitzSnipe

Dec 28, 2014
The Finnish goal was a knife in the heart. Dergach felt very empty after the final, but I really like that guy - a beast with a lot of heart and a love for his country, Russia. Still pissed off at Bragin for letting Georgiev out, the hell was he thinking. The OT goal was a very stupid and unfortunate defensive play by us. Great job Team Finland, you guys deserved the Gold Medal. I hope to see more gold for Russia though.

Caz

Hedonist
Feb 16, 2006
Brussels, Belgium
Feels pretty good and already looking forward to next year,
as many of these young lionpups will play there too!

If only SWE had grabbed the bronze this would have been
a perfect day at the WJC.

BlitzSnipe

Dec 28, 2014
This is how you take a tough loss on the chin. Great sportsmanship from Russian fans, and a great team they had to cheer on as well. This was a final for the ages. :handclap:

Thanks for the kind words :). A tough pill to swallow for us, especially after being so happy to have tied it 6 seconds before the end of the game. Can't get over how much of a stupid play we made defensively in that OT goal.

Ermine

Sep 25, 2014
Wow. What a game.

Congrats to our Russian neighbors for a great tournament. You guys played a good game and I think your game plan was very good. Solid defending and challenging Finnish D-men on one on one situations on our D-zone.

About the refs... I think you guys got one penalty too much, but besides that the refs were pretty solid. Blaming the refs for russophobia isn't a good way to end the tournament. Be proud!

Not much needs to be said about Finnish team. All has been said. I can't wait for 2016 draft...

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
Yeah, I can certainly say that the refs were not the game breaker this time. Finns got a few calls their way, but I guess you can expect that to happen to the hosts, but it was not something ridiculous like WHC 05, for example.

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
It is really impressive that this 1996 group (about 10 players) lost 10-0 in a QF to Sweden in 2014 U18 tournament and now they won the gold at the U20's.

rduck1

Dec 26, 2013
Finland
The Finnish goal was a knife in the heart. Dergach felt very empty after the final, but I really like that guy - a beast with a lot of heart and a love for his country, Russia. Still pissed off at Bragin for letting Georgiev out, the hell was he thinking. The OT goal was a very stupid and unfortunate defensive play by us. Great job Team Finland, you guys deserved the Gold Medal. I hope to see more gold for Russia though.

There has to be some issue with Samsonov. Injured, sick, tired, who knows. In any case, he would've started most of the matches if he could've, I'm 100% sure of that. Georgiev was pretty good though, and I don't think he was a difference maker in our favour at all.

Also, it's always heart-breaking to see a Russian team lose a final... All losing teams look devastated in that situation, but they just take it to another level. And this time with these young players, all heart and team spirit, to come so close... Could not wish for a more worthy opponent, it's a shame that one has to lose(and an even bigger shame that some of those players will have to hang up their red jersey on such a bitter note).

CPFC

Sep 12, 2004
Just came back from the match and it was a blast. Russia was so clutch that I was convinced all game that they would eventually win it. Awesome team and the future of Russia looks bright. It was hard to believe that they had less than 24 hours to prepare for the match.

Finland was more nervous but they had that never give up attitude as well. Some great characters in that team. The opponent scored first against Finland in every single elimination match, but FIN managed to dig themselves out of those holes.

ValeriKamensky

May 8, 2013
I feel very very bad myself. When i`ve been looking to Dergachev`s face, i`ve been almost starting to cry. But this happened, and it`s only game. I know we had team with iron balls on this tournament, and i hope this will help our guys to become Big Players in big leagues.

Congratulations Suomi. You deserve this victory. Ended the era of Selanne, Koivu, Timmonen. Its starting era of Laine, Pulujarvi, Aho, Rantanen

aahola

Mar 26, 2014
Finland

I don't get this at all, and it's not only you to have said it. Georgiev didn't let in a single soft goal today and took many great saves throughout the match as well as playing an all around confident game. Don't know what difference Samsonov would have made. :huh:

Canadian Finn

Oskee Wee Wee
Feb 21, 2014
The Hammer
Coming on to this one late.

Had to work today, especially after taking yesterday off for the semi final game.

Recorded the game and managed not to hear scores throughout the day.

What a game. Kapanen. He was such a stud all game. Best player on the ice in my mind. THEN he goes and scores the OT goal.

The arena. The fans. What a sight. I would have given my left nut (and right one probably) to have been in Finland for that game...(and now for the party). Made me freaking proud. I'll be cheering as loud as I can here at home next year .... SUOMI SUOMI SUOMI

Laine. What a goal. It was the momentum turner. Likely the most important goal of the game, next to the OT goal. Aho, just a pure leader. Rantanen, huge game as well.

Puljujarvi. Two weak periods. I was very nervous for him all game. There were a couple points in the 2nd period where I thought he may even deserve to be sat for a bit. BUT then it was like he flipped a switch. The switch that only the most gifted players possess. In the 3rd period he was a different player.

It's time for me to celebrate. Received a nice 25 year old bottle of Glenlivet for Christmas. The boys deserve it.

I have to congratulate the Russians as well. What heart. What talent. What consistency. Was proud when you knocked the 'yanks out. Glad to have shared the final with such a strong team. Although with 7 seconds left in that third period, I may not have said the same thing ;)

On a closing note, this was a fun tournament to share with everyone on this board. I now recede back to the Leafs board, but I'll talk to ya'll again next year.

Will the kids be back for Finland....I don't think so, but only time will tell.

Be well,

Steve

BlitzSnipe

Dec 28, 2014
There has to be some issue with Samsonov. Injured, sick, tired, who knows. In any case, he would've started most of the matches if he could've, I'm 100% sure of that. Georgiev was pretty good though, and I don't think he was a difference maker in our favour at all.

Also, it's always heart-breaking to see a Russian team lose a final... All losing teams look devastated in that situation, but they just take it to another level. And this time with these young players, all heart and team spirit, to come so close... Could not wish for a more worthy opponent, it's a shame that one has to lose(and an even bigger shame that some of those players will have to hang up their red jersey on such a bitter note).

Yeah, for sure. But thanks for your kind words :). Man is that a sour pill, that OT goal.
Finnish first line was deadly, those guys might be 30-50 goalscorers in the NHL soon.

BlitzSnipe

Dec 28, 2014
I feel very very bad myself. When i`ve been looking to Dergachev`s face, i`ve been almost starting to cry. But this happened, and it`s only game. I know we had team with iron balls on this tournament, and i hope this will help our guys to become Big Players in big leagues.

Congratulations Suomi. You deserve this victory. Ended the era of Selanne, Koivu, Timmonen. Its starting era of Laine, Pulujarvi, Aho, Rantanen

Was Dergach that devastated? Do you have a link maybe on Youtube? He was my favourite player on that team - he said himself - The most important thing for me about team Russia is that it's a great honour for me. And the guy's just amazing, I love him. Fights to the end, no matter what. Very proud of him. He even said - 'Sorry Russia' to the fans. Great guy.

BlitzSnipe

Dec 28, 2014
I don't get this at all, and it's not only you to have said it. Georgiev didn't let in a single soft goal today and took many great saves throughout the match as well as playing an all around confident game. Don't know what difference Samsonov would have made. :huh:

Yeah, but the last goal .... certainly a stupid play by him.

BlitzSnipe

Dec 28, 2014
Coming on to this one late.

Had to work today, especially after taking yesterday off for the semi final game.

Recorded the game and managed not to hear scores throughout the day.

What a game. Kapanen. He was such a stud all game. Best player on the ice in my mind. THEN he goes and scores the OT goal.

The arena. The fans. What a sight. I would have given my left nut (and right one probably) to have been in Finland for that game...(and now for the party). Made me freaking proud. I'll be cheering as loud as I can here at home next year .... SUOMI SUOMI SUOMI

Laine. What a goal. It was the momentum turner. Likely the most important goal of the game, next to the OT goal. Aho, just a pure leader. Rantanen, huge game as well.

Puljujarvi. Two weak periods. I was very nervous for him all game. There were a couple points in the 2nd period where I thought he may even deserve to be sat for a bit. BUT then it was like he flipped a switch. The switch that only the most gifted players possess. In the 3rd period he was a different player.

It's time for me to celebrate. Received a nice 25 year old bottle of Glenlivet for Christmas. The boys deserve it.

I have to congratulate the Russians as well. What heart. What talent. What consistency. Was proud when you knocked the 'yanks out. Glad to have shared the final with such a strong team. Although with 7 seconds left in that third period, I may not have said the same thing ;)

On a closing note, this was a fun tournament to share with everyone on this board. I now recede back to the Leafs board, but I'll talk to ya'll again next year.

Will the kids be back for Finland....I don't think so, but only time will tell.

Be well,

Steve

Thanks Steve for the kind words! All the best to Finland, great hockey nation.

Lexus

OWN THE MOMENT.
Jan 29, 2009
XlYfBUW.gif

Was that Tretiak?

Joe MacMillan

Aug 10, 2005
Helsinki
No it wasn`t.

It was russian defenceman #9 Provorov who slid through the ice and got Georgiev out of balance by crashing into his left pad.

Off course you can argue that Georgiev could somehow avoid that collision but that is then whole different argument.

I thought he overplayed the wraparound by reacting into the butterfly too early while holding the post. The wraparound would have probably gone in anyway the way he played it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad