2016 Gagarin Cup Champs - Magnitogorsk

Go Donbass

Sep 27, 2013
Vinnitsa, Ukraine
Magnitka win game 7, 3-1.

As much as I love the KHL, there's people here that know the league a lot better than myself. Considering how much CSKA dominated the regular season and the playoffs, how big an upset is this win for Magnitka?

Last edited:

hansomreiste

Sep 23, 2015
Ankara
Damn Magnitka, you took 2017 as well right after 2016? :P

I am surprised. I definitely expected this team to get a good place this year but prevailing CSKA over a 7-game series? No, this is too far! I mean, if this series went 4-2 for CSKA, I would not be surprised with anything, but Magnitka winning it in 7 is a surprise for me.

It was kinda both one-sided and not... We all knew CSKA would be in the finals. We all knew they would be the favorites against whoever they face. In this sense, it has been a one-sided season. On the other hand, there have always been teams that could beat CSKA but the probability was "slight" at best. As you can see, I really have mixed feelings and thoughts about this.

Go Donbass

Sep 27, 2013
Vinnitsa, Ukraine
Corrected the year :).

Ya, it really seemed like Red Army's year, and the way they cruised through the playoffs, I figured they would take Magnitka in 5 or 6. Good on the Foxes though.

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
It wasn't some "miracle on ice" sensation, but it was an upset. CSKA looked like a machine while Magnitka had many holes.

Congratulations for Magnitogorsk! Their experience paid off, CSKA wasn't able to force Metallurg to play their brand of hockey. It's interesting for how long they will be in a championship shape: their striking forces (Koshechkin-Lee-Zaripov-Mozyakin) aren't getting younger, and Samsonov might leave for the NHL somewhat soon. Though Kovar, Potekhin, Antipov etc. are still young guys.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad